Thread: September 4th, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI

September 4th, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9pm to 1am Japan time Saturday (that is New York 8am to noon, Los Angeles 5am to 9am, London 1pm to 5pm and Paris 2pm to 6pm, SATURDAY) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at USTREAM:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

But FEAR NOT if not possible for you to join 'live' in your location at those times, as the entire sitting is recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'ON DEMAND' at ANY TIME after that, no different from the 'live' sitting . Just click then on the links below:

THE 'REAL TIME, ANY TIME' recorded version is divided into 2 parts as follows (click on the blue links) :

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:40 ZAZEN
    01:40 - 01:50 KINHIN

ZAZENKAI PART I LINK:

(Due to recording difficulties, this first half is a re-sit of June. Sitting is sitting though!)
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7456016

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN
    02:40 - 03:20 ZAZEN
    03:20 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

ZAZENKAI PART 2 LINK:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9348883
    Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chant Book (PDF) at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2231

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: September 4th, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI

Hiya
    Looking forward very much to joining on Saturday for my first 4-hour Zazenkai.

Gassho

Joe

Re: September 3rd, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI

Please note that the Heart Sutra this week will be recited in ENGLISH.

It originally said "in Japanese", which was a misprint. I apologize for the confusion.

Hi
    Work tomorrow at the time of the zazenkai so I will be joining the sit Saturday morning my time (Saturday night in Japan).
    looking forward to sitting with you all

Gassho
    Shohei

A little confused you have Sept 3rd listed (Friday) ?
    Yet you also have Saturady in the post?
    Just checkin.
    Thanks ~ Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dday
    A little confused you have Sept 3rd listed (Friday) ?
    Yet you also have Saturady in the post?
    Just checkin.
    Thanks ~ Dave.
    ANOTHER TYPO!

THE ZAZENKAI LIVE NETCAST IS SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 4th!

Thank you for catching that!

I look forward to sitting with the sangha...something I really need to do!

Didn't realize this week was the 4 hour zazenkai. :shock: It'll be my first; going to use the Sitting Hall from 2000-0000 EST tomorrow if any of you want to practice with my ugly mug.

oh ...cool see you all tomorrow.

I wont be able to join live, but I'll virtually join you sunday or monday, when the recording is posted.

Enjoy the 4 hours

Gassho

Will replay Sunday morning EST!

Happy sitting and Gassho,

Lu

will see if my little netbook can handle simultaneously watching ustream and being in the zen hall -- going to do it in the boat, as too much activity in the shack today

Wouldn't miss it.
    Gassho.

Hello friends,

I'll be sitting the Zazenkai on Wednesday. I look forward to sitting with you.

Jundo, thank you for transcending time and space. It is much appreciated.

Much metta,

Perry

Thank you, Jundo.
    The time went by quickly.
    Best wishes to all.
    Gassho,
    Don

We had a crashing computer (the heat!) the first half, so the recording is a "re-sit" from the June Zazenkai (same Chants, same sitting, same you and me ... just different) ...

... but the second half of the Zazenkai, including today's talk (on a fitting topic: "Ango and When Stuff Goes Wrong") was "all systems go".

Thank you for sitting with me and everyone ... and thank you to the moths that kept flying up my nose during the chanting, the cat who crept in, and it was wonderful!

Gassho, Jundo

Hiya,
    the laptop seems to have lost my post so if it turnrs up later its not me repeating myself (honest)
    Just finished zazenkai. Thanks Jundo, very illuminating (probably the reason for all the moths). Technical probs didn't manage to ruin it, I followed the timetable and when you returned with sound and all I was in the right place and time (for a change) :lol:

Looking forward (which I know I should not) to the next, if my bones have got back into the right shape by then. :roll:

yeah, ustream was in and out a lot, had to keep reloading -- at one point i tho9ught jundo had wandered from the schedule, he hadn't, the screen had frozen

a suggestion: is it possible to "broadcast" the live audio of the saturday live sit? -- this would probably come in more consistently, using less bandwidth, and its really all thats needed to keep up with everything

i tried sitting simultaneously with mebeam, but was very in/out, finally just out -- but as soon as ustream was over, no problem -- i think it was just too much having ustream and mebeam on the same computer -- next time i'll just use 2 computers

thanks jundo, for following the schedule, cause that allowed me to sit a long

gassho, roky

As you said in the Dharma Talk: "Good opportunity for practice".

I saw Jundo for a second after I signed on this morning and then it was blank for a while, then we got picture but no sound, which was fiune...just went on with Zazenkai as normal. Then signal got lost again, then found again. Finally got it all back for the second part. Thanks for the encouraging talk, that;'s one I think I will repeat play often.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Sat with you this morning, thank you Jundo and everyone.
    The talk was very good for this challenging first week of Ango. A good way to refresh for next week.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Hi all,

Great to sit with everyone and the technical glitches just enhanced Jundo's talk, as he said. I can always use a reminder that Ango, like zazen, like life...all get interrupted.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I'll be sitting the Zazenkai on Wednesday. I look forward to sitting with you.
    Me too, I'm aiming for Wednesday morning. It'll be my first 4-hour Zazenkai.

Meanwhile, I just did the one-hour Zazenkai from May 29 with the Heart Sutra Gospel. 8)

Hi everyone!
    I just sat the second part of the zazenkai. I was to sit it tomorrow, but finally it was easier to do it tonight. I was very happy to hear the talk Jundo gave on ango, thank you for pointing us all these opportunities for practice that we so often see as demonic difficulties who are trying to prevent us from practicing... in a simple instant we are able to see them as they are... just opportunities, beautiful really!

I'm also very glad I sat the first part with all of you! It was very nice to be together, even if I couldn't reach mebeam and my Internet connection was so bad that it was always lagging ... it's all good practice as someone we know would say!

gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Slept through today ops:

BUT! FEAR NOT! Sitting one part tomorrow, the second another day. It's hard to check out (or really, check-in!) for 4 hours when I'm living with someone who doesn't meditate, I turn into another piece of furniture :P

All is life, and life is practice.

Gassho,
    Taylor

Hi Roky,

Well, I don't know about just doing sound for a live Zazen sitting! I reminds me of the joke record someone put out many years ago for that famous silent mime, "THE BEST HITS OF Marcel Marceau" ... you remember, the clown who never says a word ...

The record consists on both sides of a great round of applause from the audience ... followed by 19 minutes of silence ... followed by more applause!

Technology is always improving, I am about to upgrade our system here a little, some new hardware and software ... you need a new computer. That is probably the best solution. Also, in a Zendo under a roof, one is expected to practice with the annoyances ... the mosquitoes, the sweaty fellow sitting next to you, the sore legs and itchy robes. This is just our version of that. It is all good practice, all life.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    yeah, ustream was in and out a lot, had to keep reloading -- at one point i tho9ught jundo had wandered from the schedule, he hadn't, the screen had frozen

a suggestion: is it possible to "broadcast" the live audio of the saturday live sit? -- this would probably come in more consistently, using less bandwidth, and its really all thats needed to keep up with everything

i tried sitting simultaneously with mebeam, but was very in/out, finally just out -- but as soon as ustream was over, no problem -- i think it was just too much having ustream and mebeam on the same computer -- next time i'll just use 2 computers

thanks jundo, for following the schedule, cause that allowed me to sit a long

gassho, roky

Even with the "technical difficulties.." I enjoyed todays sit. (although my right knee disagrees completely )

I enjoyed the talk immensely, it was perfect for the day! I also learned.. just because espresso pot makes 4 cups one should not drink all and expect to sit still.. another reason for oryoki :roll:

Thank you for the opportunity to practice. I made it through, though from hour 3 on was a bit rough for this beginner.

gassho,
    Chris

Wow, my back surely feels different now, thank you everybody and Jundo for a dharma talk that much touched me,
    Gassho
    Peter

My 2nd Ango zazenkai actually happened in June AND yesterday. Talk about transcending time! :mrgreen:

Somewhere in hour #3 I said to myself, "Gosh this zazenkai is loooooong" and then I realized I needed to drop "looooooong" and hour #4 sailed right along.

sat with you on sunday....thanks for the talk, it was much needed
    Gassho

I have to confess -and what better place than in public- that saturday's Zazenkai totally escaped my attention until this morning (Tuesday).

ops:

I await my punishment.

:roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Daibh
    I have to confess -and what better place than in public- that saturday's Zazenkai totally escaped my attention until this morning (Tuesday).

ops:

I await my punishment.

You punishment is to sit it ... which is also the reward ... 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daibh

ops:

I await my punishment.

You punishment is to sit it ... which is also the reward ... 8)
    I have since been rewarded :wink:

Thanks again.

Sat an informal zazenkai with another hall-mate. Time? Around two hours, I will catch up on the other bit later. I settled more in this zazen than I ever have. But again, just another day

Gassho,
    Taylor