Thread: A proposition for Ango: Becoming intimate with the kesa

A proposition for Ango: Becoming intimate with the kesa

Hi everyone!

I was putting my rakusu in his pocket after zazen this morning and I realized that I did'nt wear it as much as I can.

When zazen is finished I put it in is shelf next to Buddha and a Russian Icone of the Mother of God (I her love so much because of her "sad smile and eyes",full of compassion and force at the same time!).
    And that'is it.

But we can wear a rakusu doing a lot of things, during sesshins it's so obvious,and back home it is sometimes difficult.

So, in order to live with the kesa in our daily lives, I propose that those who have already took Jukai try to wear the Thatagatha's robe as much as they can! Of course it is easier at home! As Taigu said in one of is vids about the rakusu

"we can wear the rakusu doing a lot of things: physical work, study ,drinking coffee, or even go out (not to show or shock) but folded in his bag as a reminder of our practice.When we wear it our manners and way we act might be different. he will possibly influence the way we behave."
    Lets try to stop creating a "mental separation" between "our" zazen (and kesa) and the rest of life.

By wearing our kesa as much as we can in our everyday life we'll be able to study it with flesh and bones in our very temple (life!), not separated with any "zazen time". And as we do this we also put zazen in our daily life!

By doing this with a very simple state of mind, no need to make such a big deal of it, we will study our everyday life with the same simplicity!

In order to this I commit to wear and have it with me as much as I can during the Ango, in order to practice the buddha's teaching in everyday life!

I hope those who already take Jukai (participating in Ango or not!) will be able to do the
    same!

So, lets wear rakusu more than ever!
    Take it off from next the Buddha to wear it as a "Buddha!"

humble gassho to everyone,
    Luis/Jinyu

Re: A proposition for Ango: Becoming intimate with the kesa

Hi
    What a good idea Luis. :mrgreen:
    I shall certainly wear my wagessa as much as possible during Ango.

Gassho

Joe

Yes Luis, this is is wonderful time to rethink our use of the kesa and to commit to its use. A great practice for Ango especially as we remind ourselves what we are about!!!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

I love this idea...

Gassho!

Hi.

I'd like to say that with that mindset you are already wearing the rakusu (and/or the kesa..) in your heart in all your are doing no matter what you physically wear.
    That being said, i think It sounds as an wonderful idea, and it being a very good practice to wear it physically to emphasize this point, please do.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Gassho, Luis!

Mine is unfinished, waiting for the final panel. I take it out every day and place it on top of my head to recite the verse. I have shown it to a few people here at school, but I caution myself for showing it off. I am proud of my work and I find the Rakusu beautiful, sometimes the ego wants it's compliments. All the more chance to be mindful and not a jackass

Gasssshooooooo
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Gassho, Luis!

Mine is unfinished, waiting for the final panel. I take it out every day and place it on top of my head to recite the verse. I have shown it to a few people here at school, but I caution myself for showing it off. I am proud of my work and I find the Rakusu beautiful, sometimes the ego wants it's compliments. All the more chance to be mindful and not a jackass

Gasssshooooooo
    Taylor
    Hi Taylor
    Sometimes the ego wants it's compliments is a little wishy washy. The ego requires compliments! Total immersion in the task at hand ... all the rest is just fluff.
    I really like what you have to say (aha!) truly nice having you around here. Gassho zak

Hi Luis,

It is a great idea. I wear rakusus in life, not at work though ( being a school teacher, it is better to drop any religious sign).

I am glad you have a special connection with that beautiful Russian Kannon.

gassho

Taigu

Grand idea Jinyu!!

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you everyone!
    I'm happy my little idea suits you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    id like to say that with that mindset you are already wearing the rakusu (and/or the kesa..) in your heart in all your are doing no matter what you physically wear.
    Thank you for the reminder! So true Fugen, I didn't see it in this way! Trying to break down barriers I must be aware of not creating other ones!

Thank you again everyone! And lets wear rakusu and smile with the Russian Kannon! :wink:

gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Hello all,

Luis - I also think this is wonderful for our practice. So I also commit to wearing mine daily during zazen and as much as I can.

bows,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Hi Luis.

This is a great suggestion. Well done for putting this forward. I will bear your idea in mind and try to practice it throughout this Ango period.

Gassho,

Soen