Thread: Sense of Humor

Sense of Humor

Gassho everyone,

I have always tried to deal with all things in my adult life with humor. At least since my divorce 32 years ago.

It does no good to cry, so you might as well laugh. There's nothing so serious you can't laugh at it somehow. Are things I have tried to remember. At times others have looked down on me because of that view. When my mother died, I led the way in remembering some of the times my brother and sister and I made her so angry. In the end we could all laugh.

I have recently decided that my affinity for Buddhism may have come from this outlook. Suffering is universal and life is a miracle of a gift. Enjoy it all.

And don't forget to laugh if you can and cry when you need to.

Gassho,

Marty

Re: Sense of Humor

Quote Originally Posted by mhoke46375
    There's nothing so serious you can't laugh at it somehow.
    Whenever I get into a situation where I am upset and can't laugh about it, that's an indication that the small mind has taken control and some focused awareness is necessary. I can't say it always immediately allows me to laugh, but it certainly takes the edge off the supposed crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigfromAz
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoke46375
    There's nothing so serious you can't laugh at it somehow.
    Whenever I get into a situation where I am upset and can't laugh about it, that's an indication that the small mind has taken control and some focused awareness is necessary...
    Ooh! Thank you, I will remember this.

Pardon my muse: Did the Buddha have a sense of humor? Seriously. Is there any evidence in all his words that people later recalled of him ever telling a joke? Ok, I'm gonna guess no on that. But maybe he showed other forms of humoristic sense. The historical Buddha and sense of humor just don't seem to fit for me, although I completely agree about the need and usefullness of having a sense of humor, but if you are so perfectly enlightened do you need a sense of humor anymore? Maybe once you can see through all the jokes there's no point in humor anymore. And if you realize it is all one big joke, is there any point in laughing?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    Pardon my muse: Did the Buddha have a sense of humor? Seriously. Is there any evidence in all his words that people later recalled of him ever telling a joke? Ok, I'm gonna guess no on that. But maybe he showed other forms of humoristic sense. The historical Buddha and sense of humor just don't seem to fit for me, although I completely agree about the need and usefullness of having a sense of humor, but if you are so perfectly enlightened do you need a sense of humor anymore? Maybe once you can see through all the jokes there's no point in humor anymore. And if you realize it is all one big joke, is there any point in laughing?
    Good morning friends,

Perhaps here it is appropriate to mention that Lord Buddha has, since the day of his parinibbana, been undergoing a process of deification: scrubbing away all the humanity, all that could connect him to normal deluded beings such as myself. Not unlike the Christian Jesus, I think. And it is sad that this happens; once the teacher becomes something more than human, becomes a God or something more, the teaching becomes useless.

What good does the teaching of Jesus do if He was God in a way that no other human could ever be? What good is Buddhism if the teacher is not human, is elevated to a realm above even the devas and Brahma? The line between the "human" Siddhartha Gotoma and the "superhuman" or "divine" Buddha is, I believe, non-extant. If there is a line separating humans and Buddhas, then humans cannot be Buddhas.

If humans can become Buddhas, if humans have the potential to become Buddhas, then there can be no separation. Just as there is never a point that the acorn is separate from the oak tree.

If humans laugh, surely Buddhas laugh. If humans cry, surely Buddhas cry. Buddhas are subject to old-age, illness, and death like the rest of us. To say that they are deadly serious is to say they're no longer human. Indeed, the common thread between all of my spiritual elders, regardless of tradition, is their ability to laugh. Laugh at happiness, laugh at sadness. Laugh with a compassionate heart.

Will a Buddha laugh at another's suffering? Perhaps not. Will the Buddha-laugh joyfully resonate as I walk the Path? Maybe so.

These are just my thoughts, nothing more. If I am mistaken, or if something I say offends, please correct me.

Much Metta,

Perry

Whenever I have truly been in the moment, and I feel a small sense of awakening, the first thing I feel the urge to do is laugh for no reason. One time, I was on the bus, just riding and going with any imaginary stories what weaved in my mind, and some where in this flow something clicked and I felt suddenly alive and real. I just wanted to laugh. I was surrounded by all these strangers and I felt connected to them, and there was some kind of big joke they weren't getting...

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSpud
    Perhaps here it is appropriate to mention that Lord Buddha has, since the day of his parinibbana, been undergoing a process of deification: scrubbing away all the humanity, all that could connect him to normal deluded beings such as myself. Not unlike the Christian Jesus, I think. And it is sad that this happens; once the teacher becomes something more than human, becomes a God or something more, the teaching becomes useless.

If humans laugh, surely Buddhas laugh. If humans cry, surely Buddhas cry. Buddhas are subject to old-age, illness, and death like the rest of us. To say that they are deadly serious is to say they're no longer human. Indeed, the common thread between all of my spiritual elders, regardless of tradition, is their ability to laugh. Laugh at happiness, laugh at sadness. Laugh with a compassionate heart.
    Yes, a little survey on the subject leaves the impression that Gautama Buddha was rendered in the Suttas as a pretty serious fellow. The most I could find in the way of humor attributed to him was, perhaps (folks may be reading between the lines here even to find this much humor) the odd pun or sarcasm here and there in otherwise very serious talks. Truly, it was the literary style of the day ... what was expected in the culture of a religious adept, and part of the process in which the Buddha was dipped in gold, put on a pedestal, divested of blemishes and stripped of much humanity.

Yes, I think Perry hits it on the head. It is all part of a process of "hagiography" ... I sometimes write ...

In my view, "Buddhas" are symbols for human potential. The historical Buddha was a human being. A Buddha or Ancestor (Jesus or any Saint in any religion) dies and ... century by century ... those in the religion (looking from afar at what those attainments actually were on the part of their "religious heroes" and with need to depict their power) start to imagine, fantasize and exaggerate the wonderful nature of the teacher and teaching into something super-human. What was merely "Great, Profound and Wonderful" must become "Mysterious, Wondrous and (often) Ridiculous". The result is called an "hagiography"

A hagiography is a biography, usually of a saint or saintly person, and usually written to idealize their life or justify their sainthood. In other words, a hagiography is usually a positive presentation of a life, rather than an objective or critical biography. When using a hagiography as a research source, the purpose and style must be taken into consideration, as the writer probably omitted negative information and exaggerated or even created positive information about the subject of the hagiography. Lives of the saints are typically hagiographies.
    That does not mean that his teachings were not wondrous, that does not mean that there are not true miracles of liberation in this practice ... It just means that people may be looking for miracles afar when they are right before our eyes.
    Yes, if humans laugh, surely Buddhas laugh. If humans cry, surely Buddhas cry. A good dose of humor manifests Wisdom about this world. And further ... "sadness and crying" are not "Dukkha" (suffereing) if we fully are at one with circumstances that are sometimes smiles sometime tears. Sadness is only "Dukkha" if one resists the sadness and circumstances in an effort to reject life.

Gassho, J

We should have a Buddhist joke thread. Or maybe we do.... My memory here tells me we've had something like that. I know the pictures thread has some funnies in it.

Three Buddhas walk into a bar...

Go ahead, someone give it a punch line :lol:

what did the zen monk say to the hotdog vendor?

Make me one with everything!

We should have a Buddhist joke thread. Or maybe we do.... My memory here tells me we've had something like that. I know the pictures thread has some funnies in it.

Three Buddhas walk into a bar...

Go ahead, someone give it a punch line :lol:
    Well, maybe time to start another one. Let's get some favorites and classics out there ...

and of course ...

Q: Why don't Buddhists vacuum in the corners?
    A: Because they have no attachments.

--------------------------
    The wise Zen Master is visiting New York one day from Tibet. He goes up to a local hot dog vendor and says, "Make me one with everything."

The hot dog vendor fixes him a delicious hot dog and hands it to the Zen Master, who proceeds to pay with a $20 bill.

The vendor puts the bill in the cash box and closes it.

"Where's my change?" asks the Zen Master.

The vendor responds, "Change must come from within."

--------------------------

Q: How many Zen buddhists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Three -- one to change it, one to not-change it and one to both change- and not-change it.

-------------------------

A student once asked Zen teacher Steve Allen,
    "If you were given a wish-fulfilling jewel, what would you wish for?"
    "To stop wishing," replied Allen.

------------------------

Breathe in. Breathe out.
    Breathe in. Breathe out.
    Forget this and attaining Enlightenment
    will be the least of your problems.

Be patient and achieve all things.
    Be impatient and achieve all things faster.

Gassho, Jundo (oh, I gotta million of them!)

Three Zen monks decided to practice meditation together. The first monk asked, "Where do we want to sit today?" The second monk replied, "Well let's go out to sit today." The third monk inquired, "Why not 'virtually' sit with others in the Treeleaf Zen Hall?" The second monk looked at the first monk and asked, "Do you think we should tell him?" The first monk said, "The virtual thingy at Treeleaf doesn't work. Sometimes you see the others, a lot of sometimes you don't!" All three decided to go to the lake instead.

The Zen monks arrived at the lake, sat by the water's edge and closed their eyes in concentration. Then suddenly, the first one stood up and said, "I forgot my mat." He stepped miraculously onto the water in front of him and walked across the lake to their hut on the other side.
    When he returned, the second monk stood up and said, "I forgot to put my other underwear out to dry." He too walked calmly across the water and returned the same way. The third monk watched the first two carefully in what he decided must be the test of his own abilities. "Is your learning so superior to mine? I can match any feat you two can perform," he declared loudly and rushed to the water's edge to walk across it. He promptly fell into the deep water.

Undeterred, the third monk climbed out of the water and tried again, only to sink into the water. Yet again he climbed out and yet again he tried, each time sinking into the water. This went on for some time as the other two monks watched.
    After a while, the second monk turned to the first and said, "Do you think we should tell him where the stones are?"

Gassho,

Marty i must agree with you. i admit i have not read all of the other comments but i did read a few of Jundo's Jokes ( i liked them i must show them to my fiancee ).
    but what you wrote i dead on. especially the last part... about not forgetting to laugh and cry when one needs to.
    that was wonderful. thank you.

Gassho, Dojin.

Hi.

Even though i'm a humble Ordained Zen Priest in Training, and not an authority of any sort, id like to say that a sense of humor is essential in our practice.
    I wrote about this some time ago and i'll just copy paste something here

1. smile
    Always have an smile on your lips.
    This makes not only you having an positive mindset.
    It also spreads like a disease to people around you, making more people having a smile/positive mindset making...
    http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/s ... ctice.html

But as stated in the thread, laugh when laughing, cry when crying, but don't get hung up it.
    Although i think you will find that you tend to, after a while, go for one side more than the other, i don't know why ...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I hear those Buddha Patches are on sale during Ango.

Buy Now!!!!
    100 days only!!!
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    It looks like there are a few from these same folks ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muy8XHN52I&feature=related[/video]] ... re=related

I guess this is 'sitting with one's own demons'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdUxFd462I[/video]]

I always thought the whole holding-up-a-flower thing was a bit of a private joke between the Buddha and his disciple. Mahakasyapa "got" it, and a legend was born.

A good sense of humor is so important. Particularly when you die.
    And we are all dying now.

Humor?
    No doubt. But joke at yourself. For humor can also be self dreesed in pleasant rags.
    So I try to always laugh at myself as much as I can. Not too difficult really.

gassho

Taigu

My underwear may not be more holey than righteous but, I think you may find there is more truth than poetry in these zen comics: http://www.buddhanet.net/flash/book-of-zen/index.html

gassho,

Saw this one today. :roll:

A monk on his journey home came to the banks of a wide river. Staring hopelessly at the great obstacle in front of him, he pondered for hours on just how to cross such a wide barrier.

Just as he was about to give up his journey, he saw a great teacher on the other side of the river.

The monk yells over to the teacher. “Oh master, can you tell me how to get to the other side of this river?”

The teacher ponders for a moment, looks up and down the river and yells back. “You already are on the other side.”

Nice!

From "Wizard of Id" the other day

Some Ha-Ha! moments here:

http://www.buddhisthumor.org/index.html

I always thought the essential nature of the Buddha was happy. Thanks for the laugh everyone, these are great! :lol:

Reviving an old thread.

The following could go in the zen and sports thread as well as here:

One day I asked my mother what she was making for dinner. She said she didn't know.
    Later on, she walked in on me while I was meditating and asked:
    "What do you have in mind?"
    I dunno, it cracked me up.

Mari wrote:
    One day I asked my mother what she was making for dinner. She said she didn't know.
    Later on, she walked in on me while I was meditating and asked:
    "What do you have in mind?"
    :lol: This is hilarious!

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Yes, a little survey on the subject leaves the impression that Gautama Buddha was rendered in the Suttas as a pretty serious fellow. The most I could find in the way of humor attributed to him was, perhaps (folks may be reading between the lines here even to find this much humor) the odd pun or sarcasm here and there in otherwise very serious talks.
    When I was in High School, we had a gentleman give a talk on Shakespeare. Much to our surprise he informed us that what we considered to be a great tragedy, Romeo and Juliet, was actually meant to be performed as a comedy. He then proceeded to demonstrate with the balcony scene.

Maybe it is not the words themselves that are serious or humorous, but the vocal performance we ascribe to the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Yes, a little survey on the subject leaves the impression that Gautama Buddha was rendered in the Suttas as a pretty serious fellow. The most I could find in the way of humor attributed to him was, perhaps (folks may be reading between the lines here even to find this much humor) the odd pun or sarcasm here and there in otherwise very serious talks.
    When I was in High School, we had a gentleman give a talk on Shakespeare. Much to our surprise he informed us that what we considered to be a great tragedy, Romeo and Juliet, was actually meant to be performed as a comedy. He then proceeded to demonstrate with the balcony scene.

Maybe it is not the words themselves that are serious or humorous, but the vocal performance we ascribe to the words.
    That's actually a very popular technique in theatre to show actors how they can perform scenes from different perspectives. It's actual a very fun game; to act out famous scenes from plays and even movies where one or more of the characters has a very different demeanor than how it is traditionally portrayed. It is really quite surprising how much you can change a scene with exactly the same words but different body language and inflection. In a previous life as a theatre performer it was quite a fun activity to do yourself and to teach to others, especially kids who will really let loose and change something that adults see as set in stone!

Gassho,
    Dosho

What a great thread to laugh and break the routine.

First things first: The Buddha was just a man. A very wise one, mind you. But all men are capable of laughing. Maybe the sense of humour at the time was not what it is to us now and maybe the social, cultural and political setting was radically different to what we live now. But I'm sure he had a good laugh from time to time, as every person does.

And about laughing from everything, yes I think it's a very important part of our practice. Not laughing like mad, of course, but being capable of seeing the humour on stuff is a great part of enjoying life and learning.

Lastly, I love this web comic:

I strongly suggest you follow it. You'll have a good time. http://www.savagechickens.com :lol:

One of my favorite Zen ha-ha moments came from my first few minutes on the Tree Leaf forum. I went to the User control panel to set myself up and saw the buttons on the left hand side:

Front page

Manage subscriptions

Manage bookmarks

Manage drafts

Manage attachments
    The last one made me laugh...... :mrgreen:

Manage attachments
    Didn't notice that one. Very very funny! :lol:

One of my favorite Zen ha-ha moments came from my first few minutes on the Tree Leaf forum. I went to the User control panel to set myself up and saw the buttons on the left hand side:

Front page

Manage subscriptions

Manage bookmarks

Manage drafts

Manage attachments

The last one made me laugh......
    Oh this is soooo funny!! :lol:

Revitalizing an old, like really old, thread.
    From today's Mother Goose and Grimm.

AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Even Mahakashyapa laughed! ...
    Gassho,
    "Heitetsu"
    Christopher
    Sat today