Thread: Thich Nhat Hanh Buddhist Geeks

Thich Nhat Hanh Buddhist Geeks

I was listening to the latest Buddhist Geeks podcast:

http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/08/bg ... superstar/

BG 184: Bodhisattva, Superstar

When almost at the very end....

Vincent: Ok. So there was one section of the movie, I think toward the end. And I know that you used to practice in a community that was associated with Thich Nhat Hanh, the famous Vietnamese Zen teacher.

Michael: That was the community I was ordained in. I was ordained at the Order of InterBeing in 1997.

Vincent: …by a couple of the teachers. So from my perspective, this seemed like a little bit of a tangent. I mean, I know it ties in with authority, but it seemed like potentially this was you or those teachers sort of venting their frustration about this situation. And that was kind of a confusing part for me.

Michael: Well…

Vincent: I was wondering if you want to respond? [laughs]

Michael: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Of course. We could spend the rest of the podcast talking about this, but we will not. Thich Nhat Hanh’s a brilliant teacher. And I can’t think of anybody who is practitioner, or someone who’s just interested in sort of religion or spirituality, who hasn’t found a lot of… a wealth of wisdom and inspiration in Thich Nhat Hahn’s teachings. And so I want to be really clear about that. And I feel that way strongly, too.

But I worked for Thich Nhat Hanh: I was ordained by Thich Nhat Hanh, and I was a member of the Ti?p Hi?n Order, the Order of Interbeing. And when I moved to California, I worked for the organization the Community of Mindful Living, and I worked adjacent to Parallax Press. And was very much involved at a time, in the late ’90s and early 2000s, that was particularly difficult within that community and within the sort of super-structure of that community, the way that the various arms of the organization were kind of working together, the machinery of it.

And I had real direct experience with Thich Nhat Hanh and with the sort of senior members of the community, as a young ordained practitioner, who was also kind of, this was my job. I was doing program directing and I was doing other kinds of work for the organization. And I experienced some real disappointment. I experienced some real suffering. Both myself, but also seeing other people who’d been with Thich Nhat Hahn for many, many years. And it very much informs my perspective. And I also have enough distance and enough, I believe, understanding, that this is not unique to just the Thich Nhat Hahn community. It’s something that’s happened in many of the Buddhist communities where there’s been some difficulty, some struggle, some internal turmoil, and there’s a way that we have to find to address it.

Now, the film is not called “Thich Nhat Hanh Superstar,” right? It’s not a expose or a documentary about Thich Nhat Hanh.
    That threw for a loop because I am not sure what Mr. Trigilo is getting at. I know there have been some issue in some sanghas vis a vis teacher behavior towards their students. But, in this case, AFAIK, this has not been an issue with Thich Nhat Hanh. I am not trying to start a tsk-tsk campaign against him, but I am just curious as to what he is alluding to or what scholarly debate there is about Nhat Hahn approach to Buddhism.

Any idears?

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh Buddhist Geeks

As far as I know ... and I know little ... it was not a "scandal" or anything untoward. The situation involved TNH's sudden emphasis on ordained practitioners' role in the Sangha ahead of lay practitioners, a very traditional view in Buddhism. Some of his long time non-ordained students felt put out.

As I said ... I speak with next to no knowledge. Here is some discussion on the topic:

http://tricycleblog.wordpress.com/2007/ ... mment-1063

We must all be careful to criticize others precisely for this reason, namely, one rarely knows all the ins and outs of what one is criticizing, and why things are as they seem.

DLT Enso Coming Soon.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-31-2022 at 06:27 AM.

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh Buddhist Geeks

Thank you Jundo!