Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

  1. #1

    Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    In Thanks for a Meaningful Life of Effort & Service ... on passing ...



    Homage to the relics of the Buddha of complete merit;

    Homage to the body of truth which is truth itself and a

    stupa for the world of the dharma for the benefit of our

    present body. Though the merits of Buddha, the truth

    enters into us and we enter into the truth.

    Though the excellent power of Buddha, we realize the

    truth. Let us do only good for all living things that we may

    possess the true mind.

    Let us do only pure deeds that we may enter the peaceful

    world which is unchanging, great wisdom.

    Let us pay homage eternally to the Buddha.

  2. #2

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    I just read this on his blog today.

    Sad news indeed. A life that touched so very, very many.

    Deep bows to a wonderful teacher.

    Thank you Aitken Roshi for your practice and your being.

    Tonights's sit will be dedicated to him.

    Gassho
    Shohei

  3. #3

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Hi.

    Yes.
    So it is.
    Deep bow.

    Mtfbwy
    Fugen

  4. #4
    Treeleaf Unsui Dosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    I've had a quote from him as my signature for nearly two years now and that time has only increased its meaningfulness to me. Most sad to hear of his passing, but a reminder for us all the short time we all have on this Earth.

    Many deep bows in gratitude Roshi...

    Gassho,
    Dosho

  5. #5
    Treeleaf Unsui rculver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio Area (Northern Kentucky)
    Posts
    1,778

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Also many deep bows in gratitude and a sitting dedicated to him.

    Ron

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Treeleaf Unsui Kyrillos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montgomery Illinois USA
    Posts
    513

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Gassho...

    For what you taught me

    In your Words

    And by your Life.

    Gassho,

    Seishin Kyrill

  8. #8
    Treeleaf Unsui Kyrillos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montgomery Illinois USA
    Posts
    513

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    May I humbly suggest that the upcoming Jukai class bear a designation as "Aitken Roshi Memorial Jukai Class", since his book The Mind of Clover is so pivotal for the training.

    Gassho,

    Seishin Kyrill

  9. #9

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos
    May I humbly suggest that the upcoming Jukai class bear a designation as "Aitken Roshi Memorial Jukai Class", since his book Mind in Clover is so pivotal for the training.

    Gassho,

    Seishin Jyrill
    A very nice suggestion, K, and we will dedicate our Jukai preparations to his memory ... and his book will be present with us throughout.

  10. #10
    Senior Member AlanLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Oh No!
    But yes!
    Countless bows
    He never leaves me

  11. #11

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Do not weep at my grave.
    I am not there. I am not sleeping.
    A thousand winds. I will become a thousand winds.
    I blow in the great sky.
    In the autumn, I am the light that falls upon the crop fields.
    In the winter, I am the falling snow that shines as a diamond.
    In the morning, I am the bird to whose song you awake.
    At night, I am the stars that watch over you.
    Do not cry at my grave.
    I am not there. I did not die.
    As a thousand winds. As a thousand winds.
    That blow in the great sky.
    As a thousand winds. As a thousand winds.
    That blow in the great sky.
    I blow in the great sky.
    - by Japanese Singer-songwriter Man Arai

    This Roshi lives on in so many hearts and minds.
    Many Full Prostrations.

  12. #12

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos
    May I humbly suggest that the upcoming Jukai class bear a designation as "Aitken Roshi Memorial Jukai Class", since his book Mind in Clover is so pivotal for the training.

    Gassho,

    Seishin Jyrill
    A very nice suggestion, K, and we will dedicate our Jukai preparations to his memory ... and his book will be present with us throughout.
    That's a great idea! I have not yet read his work, but I've obviously heard of him, and I think the best way to honor a teacher is to practice to the best of our ability and to further strengthen the flame and passion of our practice. So, as others are doing, I will dedicate my sitting tonight to Aitken Roshi and recite the Heart Sutra.

    Gassho,

    Cyril

  13. #13

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    9 bows... I will also sit in his name tonight...

    Really sad news!
    But you had a very beautiful idea Seishin!
    I'll read his book "the path of zen" again... but maybe the best thing to do is what is has been teaching during his life, just practicing zazen and living ...

    humble gassho,
    Jinyu

  14. #14

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    May he rest in peace.

  15. #15

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    The symphony of zen
    Lost a first violin
    The orchestra plays on.

    Bows to one who gave many comfort and direction.

    Eika

    PS--I've always loved the New Orleans jazz funeral where the dirge is played to express the sadness felt, but then quickly followed by a much longer celebration with music and dancing, etc.

  16. #16

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Do not weep at my grave.
    I am not there. I am not sleeping.
    A thousand winds. I will become a thousand winds.
    I blow in the great sky.
    In the autumn, I am the light that falls upon the crop fields.
    In the winter, I am the falling snow that shines as a diamond.
    In the morning, I am the bird to whose song you awake.
    At night, I am the stars that watch over you.
    Do not cry at my grave.
    I am not there. I did not die.
    As a thousand winds. As a thousand winds.
    That blow in the great sky.
    As a thousand winds. As a thousand winds.
    That blow in the great sky.
    I blow in the great sky.
    - by Japanese Singer-songwriter Man Arai
    Powerful.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Hogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LaCenter, WA.
    Posts
    483

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Goodbye.
    Gassho ~ D.

  18. #18
    Senior Member pinoybuddhist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Davao City, Philippines
    Posts
    398

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Gone! Gone!
    Gone beyond!
    Gone fully beyond!
    Bodhi Svaha!

    _/|_

  19. #19

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Quote Originally Posted by pinoybuddhist
    Gone! Gone!
    Gone beyond!
    Gone fully beyond!
    Bodhi Svaha!

    _/|_
    Perhaps rather than mourning, we could honor Aitken-Roshi's memory and legacy with practice; allow this to be a reminder of the Buddha's final words sounding the Dharma within us.

    Much metta to all of you, and compassion to the Diamond Sangha,

    Perry

  20. #20

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Deep Gassho,

    Lu

  21. #21

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Hello,

    sad news indeed. May we not squander our lives and thus show us to be worthy "heirs" to his heritage. Zen Master Raven is one of my favourite books...


    Gassho,

    Hans

  22. #22
    Senior Member Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    san diego california
    Posts
    198

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Deep Gassho...

  23. #23

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Heartfelt thanks for "The Mind of Colver."

    Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

  24. #24

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    ..............

    DEEP Gassho,

    Adam

  25. #25
    Senior Member KellyRok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Selinsgrove, PA
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    hello all,

    Such sad news...a wonderful teacher. May his memory and words live on in all of us.

    _/_

    bows to all,

    Kelly-Jinmei

  26. #26

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    This is deeply saddening. Aitken Roshi was a masterful teacher, poetic in his teachings of the dharma, and it was one of his books, Taking the Path of Zen, which first induced me to learn the Way. Tonight, I will sit longer in his memory, and I will dedicate any merit to all sentient beings, the way Aitken Roshi, I beileve, would have wanted it.

  27. #27

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCM
    This is deeply saddening. Aitken Roshi was a masterful teacher, poetic in his teachings of the dharma, and it was one of his books, Taking the Path of Zen, which first induced me to learn the Way. Tonight, I will sit longer in his memory, and I will dedicate any merit to all sentient beings, the way Aitken Roshi, I beileve, would have wanted it.
    He would also want us to get socially active to help some folks. He is one of the defining forces of "Engaged Buddhism" ... and that means that folks can't live on merit alone!

  28. #28

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    I concur. Actualized enlightenment it is. I will be more mindful of situations in which I may be of benefit to others. Thanks for the reminder.

  29. #29

    Re: Robert Baker Aitken Roshi

    When the breath stops,
    the wind continues to blow.

    --Rehn

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •