Thread: Zen Etiquette

Zen Etiquette

A few brief questions, if I may, regarding respectful forms of address:
    Although I do not see it in practice here (and perhaps this should provide the answer I seek!) I am tempted to ask, "What are the respectful forms of address for Jundo or Taigu, for example? Are there others here to whom formal marks of respect are appropriate"?
    I ask not in the sense of what may be expected, but more in the vein of what may be appropriately offered. Does that make my intent clear?
    Let me try again. Like extending common courtesy, respectful forms of address shine in both directions at once. While the latter may not be encouraged, is it discouraged here?
    When is a teacher referred to as Roshi or Ajari?
    Gassho,
    Don

Re: Zen Etiquette

I think you did answer your own question, but I would say it's up to the individual. I tend to refer to Taigu as Sensei and, well, Jundo is Jundo.

Prefix their names with "Dark Lord" :mrgreen:

Hi.

I'll take a whack at this...

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    A few brief questions, if I may, regarding respectful forms of address:
    Although I do not see it in practice here (and perhaps this should provide the answer I seek!) I am tempted to ask, "What are the respectful forms of address for Jundo or Taigu, for example?
    Call them what you want, be it roshi or onshi or sensei, or even Jundo and Taigu.
    It's up to you what you call them, but be mindful of the rightful speech...

Are there others here to whom formal marks of respect are appropriate"?
    Well, you have the three stooges who are about to be unsui, and the other people here at treeleaf and of course the rest of the people out there.
    Treat them with respect and be mindful of the rightful speech...

I ask not in the sense of what may be expected, but more in the vein of what may be appropriately offered. Does that make my intent clear?
    Yes.

Let me try again. Like extending common courtesy, respectful forms of address shine in both directions at once. While the latter may not be encouraged, is it discouraged here?
    No, and may i say i disagree.
    It is encouraged, but maybe in not a such a "flamboyant way"...

When is a teacher referred to as Roshi or Ajari?
    Both Ajari and Roshi are an expression in my opinion given to soemone when called for, not something they take up on themselves...
    But that is just my opinion...

Thank you for bringing this one up, it has been hanging there for some time, glad somebody took it out of the closet.
    And welcome to treeleaf again.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

thats a good question and as you answered and others also its up to what you feel appropriate and what they would prefer too . Bowing is always a good way to address anyone!

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi,

We have the subject come up from time to time. Soko Morinaga, a well respected Japanese Soto Zen teacher, once famously said, "A roshi is anyone who calls himself a roshi and can get other people to do the same."

Me, some folks call me "Jundo" and Taigu "Taigu" ... some call us worse names.

Here is a bit more on the topic.

viewtopic.php?p=33245#p33245

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Don