Thread: letting go

letting go

it occurs to me that I have in the past invested in the thoughts that come to me during zazen. I have commented, judged, even dissected them.

During this morning's round when attention went to a thought and then awareness returned to the breathing as a touchstone, then to the site, sound and touch of the experience, I could not remember the thought that had arisen. It was like a cloud finally. You know its a cloud, but unless its lightning or a tornado, or the perfect likeness of something you do not remember more than it was a cloud.

The zazen period flew by this morning I was surprised it was over so quickly.

Re: letting go

Glad to hear it! So often we make our clouds into kites. Holding onto the string trying to let them out farther and farther, and no matter how far the string goes, we still hold onto them. Glad that you found a touchstone that works. I had a period where I jumped from focal point to focal point and it just became a great confusion. I'm more so a "focus on everything/nothing" kinda guy.

When you breathe the world breathes back. Life, breath, continues even when we don't think about it. So what more could we possibly add by pondering?

Gassho
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    When you breathe the world breathes back. Life, breath, continues even when we don't think about it. So what more could we possibly add by pondering?
    I've been reading Suzuki Roshi of late, and I have to tell you that I really like to read some of your posts. I enjoy the poetry of your explanations, and much of what you say lines up well with some of the things Suzuki Roshi has said. I'm just wrapping up with Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness, Zen Discussions on the Sandokai and one of the things he says about duality is that it's like front and back foot walking. When walking one foot is in front the other in back, but then they switch. Sometimes right foot in front, sometimes left foot in front. Regardless, both feet are moving, and since they are both connected to the same body, they are virtually the same thing. And then, actually, there is only the walking.

Gassho, Chris, I appreciate the compliment I have yet to read any of Suzuki's work in depth (GASP!). Uchiyama Roshi put it in a way that I can't really live up to. He replaced the idea of "mind", that which we try to see the essence of, with "life". People tend to associate mind with their heads (in the tibetan tradition the heart is pointed to for mind, the head for body) so fully experiencing life makes everything sound a bit less mystical to me and I prefer it that way.

Putting one foot in front of the other,
    Taylor