Any cyclists in our sangha? I had an interesting experience today. I went out for my Saturday morning ride. During my rides, I try to keep a clear mind, let my thoughts go. My mind is certainly not as still as when sitting zazen, but it is definitely a different experience than prior to my (limited) zen experience. When cycling with a clear mind, my awareness of the surroundings, sounds, body, is heightened.

Today, however, was a "cloudy" day. I had a song running through my head for THREE HOURS that I could not let go of. Not being in the best shape and with summer just starting in Arizona, I was pretty shot. I stopped at a stop light, rested my head on the aerobars, exhaled, and quit trying to "clear my mind." Suddenly, the song stopped, my mind stopped, the clouds cleared. AHA!

The rest of the ride was song-free and very aware. When I got home, I sat zazen with the attitude "this is a vacation for my mind - it doesn't have to work for the next 30 minutes". I had a blue sky day on the zafu.

I'm sure there are more clouds on the horizon, but I learned something today.

Craig