Thread: Just standing?

Just standing?

I was thinking if there is some sort of formal posture equivalent to zazen, but standing. It would be helpful while standing on a queue, in a concert or in the kitchen, while cooking.

Thanks a lot in advance

Gassho

Da5id

Re: Just standing?

Quote Originally Posted by da5id
    I was thinking if there is some sort of formal posture equivalent to zazen, but standing. It would be helpful while standing on a queue, in a concert or in the kitchen, while cooking.

Thanks a lot in advance

Gassho

Da5id
    Kinhin!

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=15094

and

viewtopic.php?p=24626#p24626

Zazen is standing, sitting, flying through the air, reclining, bouncing ... It's is just that the sitting posture has some advantages in stillness (as one is still) and balance (as one is sitting balanced) and such.

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks a lot in advance

Gassho

Da5id
    I should add that there is more to cooking than just standing ! Master Dogen wrote one of his most famous works for the monastery cook, the Tenzo Kyokun (Instructions for the Cook). I did a long series of talks on that last year (there are 33 talks in the series, here is the first) ...

Dogen's "INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE COOK" ...

... We're cookin' now!

This ain't your mother's cookbook ...

... but a recipe for how to cook your whole life ... the universe as a grand souffle ...

So, please grab a spoon and start stirring.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/arch ... oking.html

And much better ... two Tenzo Kyokun translations (with commentaries by two great teachers) are near the top of our reading list for recommended books:

• From The Zen Kitchen To Enlightenment: Refining Your Life by Eihei Dogen; Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (Translator) **

and/or

• Nothing Is Hidden : Essays on Zen Master Dogen's Instructions for the Cook by Shohaku Okumura Roshi **
    Oh, and when in a concert ... just listen to the music! 8)

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks a lot for all the info, Jundo
    I've read a little about walking meditation, but it is difficult to get a grasp of what it is from just text. Watching the video from Taigu now I got a better idea. Clearly, our shanga is the shanga of the future. Nothing better than a short video to understand these sort of techniques.

I was already interested in the "Instructions for the Cook" by Dogen and had it on my reading list. After seeing the first video on your series I just ordered "From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightment" and will continue watching the series as well!

And about the concert You are right; better just listening to the music. The point is that the idea of standing zazen came to me standing in a concert. It was one of these really crowded concerts in which people insist on moving up and down all the time, so have to duck, move forward, move backward, and after a while I started to feel irritated. So I started to pay attention to my breathing and concentrate and then thought how nice it would be to have standing zazen posture. You never know when you might need zazen!

Gassho

Da5id

It was one of these really crowded concerts in which people insist on moving up and down all the time, so have to duck, move forward, move backward, and after a while I started to feel irritated.
    When moving up, move up. When moved down, move down. When forced to duck, move forward or backward ... just do that, without resistance**. Then, what is there to feel irritated about?

Gassho, Jundo

** But remember that it is possible in our way to "resist without resistance", not an either/or proposition. In other words, seek to stand one's ground, or to go in the direction one wishes. However, if one is forced into a direction one does not wish, just go that way and be there fully. Repeat from there.

There is a form of standing meditation in qi gong. It's interesting, but can be very tiring. And if you have balance problems, as I do, it's very hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    It was one of these really crowded concerts in which people insist on moving up and down all the time, so have to duck, move forward, move backward, and after a while I started to feel irritated.
    When moving up, move up. When moved down, move down. When forced to duck, move forward or backward ... just do that, without resistance**. Then, what is there to feel irritated about?
    Again, you are right. Very wise words.I'll try to remember it next time I'm in a similar situation

Gassho

Da5id

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    There is a form of standing meditation in qi gong. It's interesting, but can be very tiring. And if you have balance problems, as I do, it's very hard to do.
    That sounds very interesting. Can you tell us a little bit more?

Thanks a lot in advance

Gassho

Da5id

I don't know much about qi gong, but here's an article explaining it:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Qigong-Standi ... &id=127827

I find it impossible to do, because I have both balance problems and back problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    I don't know much about qi gong, but here's an article explaining it:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Qigong-Standi ... &id=127827

I find it impossible to do, because I have both balance problems and back problems.
    Thanks for sharing Kirkmc.
    I guess I need more background into Qigong/Tai-chi to follow the instructions, but it is interesting nevertheless

Gassho

Da5id