Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Re: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Shohei wrote:
    Hi folks
    For anyone who is interested and able, to Fugen, Hans and I are going to make a commitment to sit every (at least one of us!)Sunday @ 3pm (New York) or 9pm (Tibro, Sweden/Cologne, Germany), 4pm (Fredericton New Brunswick) to share a cup a tea. Please feel free to join in.

I'm not sure that you got my private message, because it showed up in my outbox but not the sent box. (As you can tell I am a newbie, and don't quite have the hang of this.) So, I just wanted to try sending it again to make sure you get it. I apologize if it is a duplicate.

Okay, now I am posting directly to the topic, because both private messages stayed in my outbox. (If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.) Sorry.

I would like to try to join the tea party tomorrow. I just signed up for Skype, and I bought headphones. Could you send me instructions on how to join in? However, never having used either, I still may not be successful in joining.

My Skype name is graceleejenkins.

Gassho, Grace.
    Graceleejenkins

Hello,

As far as I know, a private message is kept in the outbox until the recipient reads it, then it's transferred to sent messages. So your messages have been sent, but not read.

Hi.

Grace, as Anista said, it stays in teh outbox until read.
    I had taken some time off treeleaf, and am only on for posting this and checking everything for tonight so now it should read read...

And you're added!

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hello Tea Party folks.
    Sorry I missed you this week. My wife needed to use the computer.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Yes, missed you guys as well, was in the middle of painting the laundry room, should be round next week.
    Gassho ~ D.

Quote Originally Posted by anista
    Hello,

As far as I know, a private message is kept in the outbox until the recipient reads it, then it's transferred to sent messages. So your messages have been sent, but not read.

/Philip
    Thanks, kind of opposite of Microsoft Office, but that makes sense to me now. Thanks for helping me. Gassho, Grace.

Hi.

NOTE THAT DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME HAS BEGUN IN THE U.S. and CANADA (IT WILL NOT COMMENCE IN EUROPE UNTIL MARCH 27th)

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty ,sunday 21.00 (swedish time ) on skype.
    Contains a short ceremony and some friendly talks.
    If you want to join, unless you already have, pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.
    Thank you for your practice.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi.

A short secretary list from the last teaparty
    Old computers
    Quitting smoking
    Drugs
    Fasting & Food
    Memory & old age
    Meditation, shikantaza & Kensho
    Sila, samadhi & prajna
    precepts
    "needy" family members
    Perspective on people and social identity issues

And...

NOTE THAT DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME WILL COMMENCE IN EUROPE MARCH 27th

If you want to join, unless you already have, pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is this past week's tea party report:

Turnout was light this week with only 3 folks at any one time, but it was thought that the time change may have left some people confused about the start time. After our traditional meal chant, robe verse, and short sit we had a spirited and stimulating conversation about a number of topics (Translation: I forgot to keep notes for the first half of the call!). The attendees also discussed their influences on morality and spirituality that some might call a geek fest but that we liked to call a video media influenced coming of age philosophical conference. Seriously though, we talked about the effect sagas like Star Wars and Star Trek may have had on us and who we are today. Some other topics that followed concerned one participant's choice of head attire, the selflessness of mentors, whether one can be "too" happy, perfectionism, how Treeleaf is evolving, and sewing the buddha's robe.

Hope to see some more folks at the next tea party!

Gasssho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Be there with rings and bells on

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi. Have a cup for me! Have friends for dinner tonight. Catch you again.
    Gassho
    Soen

Hi all,

Here's this past week's tea party report:

Sounds of Spring were well represented on the call as the birds were singing in Virginia on Sunday! Although one person reported still having a fair amount of snow on the ground. After our usual chants and short sit, it was quite the variety pack of topics. We discussed the December retreat in Brussels, hunting and eating meat, Christianity and morality, metta, political parties that apparently like tea, and the different environments where each of us has lived. There were some connection issues that made it difficult to hear at times, but as usual we had a deep discussion that was seemingly enjoyed by all.

Hope to talk to some folks on this week's call!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

NOTE: There will be some special things happening this Teaparty, so if you can, please join in.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

In attendance for the call were our original batch of priest trainees in addition to myself and a newcomer to Treeleaf. After the customary meal chant, robe verse, and short sit we moved on to matters of practice. One person described the complex emotions in meeting a blood relative who had been adopted some years ago. It was actulally their second meeting, but first since the adoptee's infancy. Another member discussed how their reactions to life events had changed since beginning zazen a few years ago. Also discussed was the path through Tibetan buddhism taken by our newcomer and his interest in shikantaza leading him to Treeleaf. A recent blog post by a zen priest created much discussion on the forum as well as on this week's call with some voicing strong opinions and others staying quiet on the matter. We then ended with a discussion of Jundo's "Blue Sky" metaphor and what it means for those who have been sitting a long time as well as those just coming to zazen for the first time...all of us beginners.

I hope to see you on this week's tea party call!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Stephanie

I plan to be there this week. Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hi all,

In attendance for the call were our original batch of priest trainees in addition to myself and a newcomer to Treeleaf. . . . A recent blog post by a zen priest created much discussion on the forum as well as on this week's call with some voicing strong opinions and others staying quiet on the matter. . . .

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Sorry I've had to miss the last two weeks--life happens. Do you have a reference for the zen priest's blog that was discussed? My curiosity is piqued! Gassho, Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Graceleejenkins
    Hi all,

In attendance for the call were our original batch of priest trainees in addition to myself and a newcomer to Treeleaf. . . . A recent blog post by a zen priest created much discussion on the forum as well as on this week's call with some voicing strong opinions and others staying quiet on the matter. . . .

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Sorry I've had to miss the last two weeks--life happens. Do you have a reference for the zen priest's blog that was discussed? My curiosity is piqued! Gassho, Grace.
    Hi grace.

Here's the link to the discussion on Treeleaf, the bloglink is at the top there.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3626

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hey, sorry I left early. I was having a hard time getting (and staying!) back in and I had to get dinner ready anyway. It was neat hearing everybody for the first time!

Gassho

Jen

Hi.

Yes, it was nice hearing from u to, even though the connection broke from time to time...

Thank you for coming.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi all,

We had a good turnout this week with half a dozen sangha members on the call. After our traditional meal chant, robe verse, and short sit we turned to matters of practice. A number of folks reported that either they hadn't been sitting in quite some time or that they were sitting around 10-15 minutes a day. Even though the recommendation is closer to 30 minutes here at Treeleaf, one of our priests in training said that the intention with which you practice zazen is the point no matter how long you are able to sit. Not forcing it was another idea discussed, especially given the fact that life can give you an "uphill climb" at times. Our "special" event, no more special than any other event but still of note, was Fugen talking about parachuting and learning to fly. To know more, you just have to stop by our next call! After the talk the discussions included the different "flavors" of life, how sharing our experiences at the tea party and on the forum is helpful to others' practice, how we can being authentic with ourselves and others' worldviews, one member's time in a monastery, and the reasons we don't sit.

Hope to chat with some folks on the call this Sunday!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Even though the recommendation is closer to 30 minutes here at Treeleaf, one of our priests in training said that the intention with which you practice zazen is the point ...
    Just a point of note ...

The "official" recommendation here is "15 minutes to 30 minutes per day, with lots and lots of 'Insta-Zazen ... plus longer Zazenkai, retreats and Sesshin from time to time ... all with good intention and sincerity ...

So, 15 minutes is fine if that is what someone can sit, and if coupled with all the rest.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Even though the recommendation is closer to 30 minutes here at Treeleaf, one of our priests in training said that the intention with which you practice zazen is the point ...
    Just a point of note ...

The "official" recommendation here is "15 minutes to 30 minutes per day, with lots and lots of 'Insta-Zazen ... plus longer Zazenkai, retreats and Sesshin from time to time ... all with good intention and sincerity ...

So, 15 minutes is fine if that is what someone can sit, and if coupled with all the rest.

Gassho, Jundo
    Sorry about that. ops:

Hi all,

Here is this week's tea party report:

This week's group was a small one with three of our priests in training and a couple others in attendance. After our traditional meal chant, robe verse, and short sit (which was dedicated to the father of Fugen's friend slapsko) Fugen discussed a recent sesshin he had attended. After that we discussed a number of topics such as those who claim to have experienced kensho but still seem to be out of touch with their own shortcomings, the effect of environment vs. genetics on how we develp through childhood, personality types developed through themes originally from Carl Jung, and the nature of love and compassion in different religiuous contexts. It was a wide ranging and very personal discussion that can really only be understod by being there!

I hope to see some folks at this weekend's tea party!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Also, this sunday we have the Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty, starting an hour earlier, 20.00 (swedish time).
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118
    This is an option for those that is new to the teaparty and/or and/or are a bit on the shy side and /or have questions about Treeleaf.

Note: you don't need an camera, just an headset and a skype account.
    An option to skype is that we do it through oovoo, that is if everybody feels comfortable with video...

If you want to join either, Just pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

After our traditional meal chant, robe verse, and short sit we had a wonderful description of one person's visit to a local zen center's sesshin. One of our priests in training brought to our attention some wise words from zen master Fred Rogers that he heard around the neighborhood while another unsui described his recent attendance at funeral services. Other topics discussed were recent activity on the forum concerning password protecting part of it, the corporate culture displayed by some zen centers, motorcycles, kesas, changing times, and the eternal wisdom of the Simpsons.

Hope to see some folks this weekend!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

We had a slow start due to many folks celebrating Mother's Day in North America, but attendance picked up after awhile. After some chit chat about motorcycles, robots, crazy weather, and mothers the discussion turned to how different people participate at Treeleaf. It was noted that more are practicing here without using the forum than in the past, choosing to interact mainly with the zazenkais, sitting hall, or right here at the tea party. However, it was felt that the forum remains the primary conduit for communicating with other sangha members. Ideas about why more people don't take advantage of the tea party and the live sits were discussed and as well as how we might increase participation. At the end of the call one of the participants was asking questions related to the function of our priests in training and the roles they serve here at Treeleaf.

Hope to see some folks on this week's call...no webcam required!

Gassho,
    Dosho

ops: I was sooooo planning to join this week but some how it slipped my mind..urg!!!!

Karma hates me right now... :evil:

Anyway will try extra hard to join next week!!

(That is, if the world is still here I mean.. :wink: )

Gassho

Seiryu

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryu
    ops: I was sooooo planning to join this week but some how it slipped my mind..urg!!!!

It's not too late...we're still here!

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryu

Gassho

Seiryu
    Hi.

You don't have to be there like five minutes before, we have people that join after the ceremonies and just join the talk.
    You're always welcome, whoever you are, whenever you join.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

Here's the secretary list of things we discussed this week.

Davids (Hogo's) move.
    Getting people doing things on Treeleaf
    Prices of groceries
    Tomatoes and Bananas have their place...
    Diet drinks and micestudies
    Troubles while sitting and yoga
    Women and Films
    Horror movies and bad movies
    Internet and privacy
    Computergames

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

As I have stated before, I'd love to join in but 3:00pm on Sundays is not convenient for me at this time. If that changes I'll be there. Meanwhile, I'll stay with the forum and PMs.
    Enjoy the tea folks

Hiyas

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Also, this sunday we have the Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty, starting an hour earlier, 20.00 (swedish time).
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118
    This is an option for those that is new to the teaparty and/or and/or are a bit on the shy side and /or have questions about Treeleaf.

An option to skype is that we do it through oovoo, that is if everybody feels comfortable with video...

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi.

Here is some of the topics discussed during the latest Teaparty.

Questions for the Unsui
    Kesas
    Religion
    Finding Buddhism
    Finding Jesus
    The end of the world
    Books
    Coloured photos

C ya sundays.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is the tea party report for Sunday, May 29th:

After our tradtional meal chant and robe verses, we sat for a few minutes and then began a discussion of practice. One person discussed their extension of practice into lawn mowing and maintenance using an old fashion reel mower, bare hands, and the occasional electrically powered tool. Another attendee discussed their reading of a book by someone they later found out to be controversial and a realization that they would not have read the book if they had known that in advance. A general discussion then followed about selections from the book club and reading list including Realizing Genjokoan by Shohaku Okumura. Jundo and Mongen's retreat at Shogoji was also mentioned as well as the recent changes on the forum to make some areas available only to members. Other topics discussed included creating businesses, whether any endeavour can truly be called a failure, parenting, time spent outdoors, particularly by young people, gun ownership, and the possible differences of European and North American representation in the sangha.

Hope to see some more folks at next week's tea party!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is the tea party report for Sunday, June 5th:

After our tradtional meal chant, robe verses, and short sit we turned to matters of practice. Multiple participants on this week's call mentioned their curiousity if a kesa can actually ever be finished, but were assured that completed kesas have been spotted outside of captivity. One of our priests in training related a tale of washing a kesa that consisted of young children, a bathtub, and kitty litter. Problems with the sitting hall were also discussed, particualy the early adoption by ooVoo of Apple's new O/S that no one is using yet! So, sitting for Mac users may be limited to the backup system for awhile. Other topics included personalities like Brad Warner and Stephen Hawking, efforts to ban circumcision in San Francisco, scholarships to prestigious universities, and the fact that when it comes to some discussions, "What happens on Skype, stays on Skype."

Hope to see some more folks at next week's tea party!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Dosho, very nicely summarized! People will have to join us to see what stays on Skype! Gassho, Grace.

this week's call mentioned their curiousity if a kesa can actually ever be finished, ... a tale of washing a kesa ...
    The Kesa Koan:

A Kesa is complete from the start, before the very first stitch ... yet never completed even when thought fully sewn.

It is never ever soiled though muddy and in need of a sometime wash (and though we strive to keep the stains away, not spill our soup on it during formal Oryoki meals), never grown old even as the fabric wears away with time (and though we strive to keep it in shape as long as we can), never torn though completely fallen apart (bound to happen someday).

In fact, it is ALL THIS LIFE, just like that! 8)

Gassho, Jundo (stepping on Taigu's Kesa tail here )

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is the tea party report for Sunday, June 12th:

We had a very nice turnout this week with 10 different sangha members stopping by at some point during the call. After our traditional meal chant, robe verses, and short sit, there was a discussion of wearing rakusus and kesas in public, which then led to the thought that the tolerance for religious garments seems very different between North America and Europe. One of our priests in training talked about getting a sitting group together that may consist of an old group that used to sit in his town. We also discussed the recent retreat that Mongen (Hans) went on in Japan and the pictures and stories he brought back with him. One person offered a link to a local zen center's Vesak celebration complete with very colorful rakusus! Other topics included gaming: console vs. PC, the health benefits of cursing, whether some books on the reading list would make good book club selections in the future, and the shocking revelation that kids don't always listen to their parents.

Please consider dropping by the tea party this Sunday, whether it's for one hour or one minute. We'd love to have you join our madcap adventures!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi.

The secretary's report from the last Teaparty (as to what was discussed):

Hans trip to a monastery
    What do priests do
    Sutras
    Oryoki
    Training in monasteries vs Treeleaf Training
    Sewing
    The new Bookclubbook
    Books on Dogen
    zafu and sitting
    Teaparties
    Plumblossoms
    Pots & Enlightenment

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is the tea party report for Sunday, June 26th:

We started with a small crowd and added a couple during the call, so we had a nice half dozen sangha members this week. As usual, we had our traditional meal chant, robe verses, and short sit. The common theme for this week's discussion was the tendency to either overanalyze one's pratice or to not analyze it at all, with every level of thought inbetween. Consequently, some felt that there was too little discussion of existenial questions on the forum while others felt satisified to post and read threads, but not be too concerned with such matters day to day. Topics around this discussion included "spiritual seeking", what we as buddhists do when we find ourselves in a church or gathering of another religion, the impact of human beings on the environment, and when easing one person's suffering may seem to conflict with the needs of another. Those left at the end closed with a dicussion of the very controversial topic, "Legos: Permanent or Impermanence?" :mrgreen:

I hope to see some folks at this Sunday's tea party! If you don't come, you'll never know what happens...well, until I post next week's update.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all,

Here is the tea party report for Sunday, July 3rd:

The call this week was fraught with technical glitches for some of the participants, but as we do here at Treeleaf we merely rolled with what was. We had our usual meal chant, robe verses (for the second week with the soulful stylings of Shohei), and a short sit. I missed some of what followed as it turned out that no one could hear me at first and then later when they could it was rather muffled...new 'puter! One person told the tale of their crazy existence of late while we had a Treeleaf newbie who was having some technical issues of his own. Another person had to come in and out of the call while tending to issues of family and, you guessed it, computer problems! I finally stopped trying to fix my issues and just listened while one person recounted their recent time in the hospital and the rather humbling experience of taking care of themselves at home afterwards. This person has described how friends had really come through and how he was looking forward to jukai this year.

In sum, it was the most perfectly imperfect tea party ever...well, since last week and until next week. Hope to see some folks there this coming week and, remember: No camera required! Just you and your computer!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Here is an record of the things discussed during the last Teaparty:

Counting Breath vs Shikantaza
    Fireflies vs Lightningbugs
    Books & the Treeleaf bookclub
    Roshis, Senseis & Masters
    Three pillars of Zen
    Enjoying the Teaparty
    Buddha & Rebels
    Sewing
    Netflix & movies
    Rakusu
    Google+

And a reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty ,sunday 21.00 (swedish time ) on skype.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast