Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Stephanie

Re: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie
    Sorry I missed it, I was feeling pretty asocial and spaced out. Hopefully I can join you all next week!
    Asocial and spaced out? That describes me every week and I still go!

Seriously though, missed chatting with you this week...hope to see you at the next one!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    :lol: I resemble that also, perhaps it would have been more accurate to say "moreso than usual" :lol:

Look forward to chatting with you next week!

Hi.

Just putting in a reminder of the teaparty.
    Same time, same place.
    Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi,

Deep bows to all who joined the teaparty today. Skype dropped me twice without any kind of error message, once before I got rid of the Beta but also once afterwards. Not sure what to make of it.

Anyway, hope to see everyone next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi,

Deep bows to all who joined the teaparty today. Skype dropped me twice without any kind of error message, once before I got rid of the Beta but also once afterwards. Not sure what to make of it.

Anyway, hope to see everyone next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Hi.

A notice for all using skype!
    There is some issues still with the skype beta 2 version, and i recommend that you, at least during the teaparty, not use that version but go with the regular one, since it is more stable.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

Just putting in a reminder of the treeleaf teaparty on sunday.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Howdy
    Helping my folks clean the flu and stove pipes (im am Chimney sweep!!) so I may be late, or just not there depending on how things go. Ill do my best to make it though

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi Fugen.
    What time do you meet on Sundays? Is it in the meeting hall?
    Gassho, Soen

Sorry I missed it, I got called in to work to do a backup of one of our demo machines (Start Norton Ghost, click Next, and twiddle my fingers for a few hours while waiting for the hard drive to clone).

Gassho,

Hi.

We meet at 21.00 (swedish time) on sundays on skype (please pm me or shohei your skypename so we can add you...) and you're always welcome.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hello everyone. Just a quick note to catch up on whats been up around the tea cooler.....
    This weeks "Tea Party" Kicked off with some disscussion of ango practice, and our experiences with trying the Partner exercises.
    The remainder of our time was spent on mostly general social conversation...A little this...a little that Always good practice, and great company.
    We got to welcome a new voice to the conversation, and a self described "lurker" back to the forums and this years Ango
    Always great to see new folks about!
    Thank you all, see you next week!
    Gassho~ Dave.

Hi.

Just putting in a reminder of the treeleaf teaparty on sunday 21:00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

A reminder of the treeleaf teaparty on sunday 21:00 (swedish time) on skype.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I was volunteered as Secretary so here is the doin's that were a' transpirin'
    Secretary was late, XD, discussed tofurky, eating vegetarians in Sweden, kids, writers block and creative block busting by singing, Chanting in Japanese, mantras, sitting groups, quitting smoking, football, ps3 vs wii vs xbox360 Ango and practice partners.
    If i missed something My apologies I will quickly hand in my resignation papers!!

Gassho
    Shohei

I think I'll nominate Julia (murasaki) for the full time gig...I think we all listened in awe to her boffo typing skills!

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hiya!
    Unfortunately, I will have to miss this one

Gassho
    Shohei

Sorry I keep missing out -- It's not like it is particularly early (1 PM my time), however I usually look at the clock and realize that I've slept in and missed it :S. I really need to reduce my Saturday evening caffeine intake lol (bed-time on weekends often stretches to the five, six, or even seven in the morning mark)

Gassho,

Hi.

No problem, everybody's welcome whenever and if ever they want to drop in and join the fun.
    Althought we seem to be bad at reporting what took place at the teaparty from time to time...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Althought we seem to be bad at reporting what took place at the teaparty from time to time...
    I have a sick little one home from school today...report coming soon...so, be patient!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Here's this week's tea party report:

We started by discussing the light turn out the last couple weeks and how we can encourage more folks to participate. Some people seem to come a few times and then don't come back. Wondering if there's a way to attract more people. However, that turned into a discussion of finding time in the day to do everything we have to do...so, we all have busy schedules.

Some discussion also of the practice partner exercises...are folks reading them? From others who stopped by it would appear the answer is yes, but not many reporting in after doing the exercises. Others (me included) pledge to try better at doing them.

The high level of activity on the "not killing" thread was mentioned, especially in relation to the other precept threads for jukai. This one seems to bring out a lot of differing opinions, heated ones too.

One person noted they had visited their aunt, a carmelite nun, who has extraordinary dedication to her faith. Can buddhists have such dedication when we are asked to regularly question what we believe (exclamation points rather than question marks)?

We learned that one regular at the tea party lives near "the apple market"...fruit stand or convenience store?

The call ended with one person discussing the lack of hope in her country and left the others with little to say, not really knowing how to respond. But the person in question seemed to have hope!

That's the best I can recall from memory....forgot to take notes! See everybody next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Today's call consisted mostly of social talk as it does on occasion, although some matters of practice were discussed. Fugen asked the group how he, Shohei, and Mongen should refer to members of the sangha as ordained zen priest trainees. Some research on the interweb saw a repeated use of "parishioners" among some Western Zen centers, but most on the call didn't like that term. "Friends" was thought highly of by the group, but a note was made to ask Jundo about the topic.

Ango was discussed briefly...is there some reluctance to discuss each other's practice? For some on the call, Ango can be "all the things we'd like to do but can't seem to get to". Perhaps we have expectations that are too high? Or are the goals meaningful whether or not we reach them?

There were some technical issues throughout the call with some not getting connected at all and others having trouble being heard. Much of the call went into discussions of computers, star trek, being a nerd, video games, and determining if one is "jedi-positive". There was also a brief discussion of zen kids books before the call ended, as it was getting late particularly for the European folks.

See everybody next week!

Hello,

It was good to join you, even if I had to leave fairly early. Thank you all.

Metta,

Perry

Some research on the interweb saw a repeated use of "parishioners" among some Western Zen centers, but most on the call didn't like that term. "Friends" was thought highly of by the group, but a note was made to ask Jundo about the topic.
    Well, I would just say "members of the Sangha" ... which includes everyone, from the person who just sat here for the first time today to the teachers and novice priest-trainees, not to forget the Buddha and all Ancestors, the mountains and air and trees. On that last one, sometimes I like "leafers" for our particular Sangha.

I once used the analogy of a ship, in which all of the members are passenger-crew on this same ship we all sail (both passenger and crew at the same time). The job of the ordained folks is to be the cabin boys, bringing fresh towels (cause they have been trained to know where the clean towels are kept) or to be on the bridge keeping the ship afloat and on course (which, in our Practice, is to no destination but right here). All members of the ship, however, are expected to help out and pull their own weight. 8)

Ango was discussed briefly...is there some reluctance to discuss each other's practice? For some on the call, Ango can be "all the things we'd like to do but can't seem to get to". Perhaps we have expectations that are too high? Or are the goals meaningful whether or not we reach them?
    Ango is a Practice of wrestling with doing what we want to do, doing what we resist, not doing what we want to do, not doing what we resist. The burdens should usually be set just a little above what we are comfortable with doing, and should include some things we do not wish to do and resist (maybe sewing, work as samu, chanting daily). None of our suggested practices on the original list was set to be so onerous that it could not be done by even someone working two jobs and raising kids ...

I believe that Ango participants should commit to all or most of the following. In all cases, the emphasis will be on increasing ... not raw quantity ... but the sincerity, commitment, vigor and seriousness of what we undertake:

+ Add a minimum of 5 minutes per sitting to however long one's current sitting time, and commit to sit that time - at least daily - without missing a single day. As well, for those who can and whose schedule will realistically allow ... consider adding an additional full sitting period per day to however many times per day one is now sitting Zazen. Whatever your commitment, be realistic about what you can maintain ... and then (absent sheer impossibility) stick with it, without missing a single day

+ Join in each and every 90 minute Saturday Treeleaf Zazenkai, and 4-hour monthly Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast without fail. However, as always, each will be available in recorded form (so may be joined at a time to fit your schedule).

+ Add, if you can, Metta Verse Practice ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1199 ) and Nurturing Seeds Practice ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1730 ) to your routine each day.

+ Listen, as possible, to each short (usually 5 minutes or so) 'Sit-a-Long' Talk (to be presented by Jundo and Taigu at "Shambhala Sun") during the practice period, also all available in recorded form to meet your schedule. A special series of talks will be presented during the Ango and Jukai period.

+ Join frequently in online discussions in our Forum of the content and Ango experiences, sharing the ups and downs and middles.

+ If technically possible, commit to meet with Jundo or Taigu by Skype video at least once per month during the Ango.

+ If simultaneously studying for Jukai, complete and participate in each of the readings and discussions each week regarding the individual Precepts, as well as complete Rakusu sewing.

+ Make formal study on the meaning and philosophy of Samu (work practice, the central theme of Dogen's "Instructions for the Cook"), and apply such perspectives and attitudes in your family and work duties each day.

+ Commit to give up one or two items or passions one truly loves during the Practice period, for example, sweets after meals, luxurious meals, cigarettes, television, consumer purchases of luxury items.

+ Commit to mindful eating, and silently or orally recite one short meal chant before all meals (here is one I suggest).

(Hands in Gassho) This food comes from the efforts
    of all sentient beings past and present,
    and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice.
    We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
    to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
    and to all life in every realm of existence.
    May all sentient beings in the universe
    be sufficiently nourished.

+ Commit a portion of your weekly income during the period to extra charitable donations (assuming you have the financial ability). We do not accept any "Dana" financial contributions for Treeleaf, as we now have sufficient resources for what we are doing. However, we do encourage people to make financial donations to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, finding a cure for a disease. Both donations and Samu work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt. If you have the time, consider extra volunteer activities in your community as well.

+ Commit to sit our SPECIAL 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT (to be held online, currently scheduled for netcast the weekend of December 4 & 5) at the culmination of the Ango. Again, it would be good to participate "live", but all will be available in recorded form to fit schedules. The retreat will likely be similar to last year's schedule and content:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/2 ... day-j.html
    For that reason, if one is not performing what one has committed to do (and absent real extenuating circumstances such as flood or earthquake or martian invasian), one must ask of themselves whether it is a failure of self control and will and discipline and time organization. Seriously. (No different for me, by the way, who wrestles the same way with my perpetual diet). One may avoid several practices (not because one seriously does not have the time), but because one forgets or resists.

The good news is that it is not too late to get back on the wagon, by the way. Right today, right now.

There is "nothing to achieve" in this practice, and "not place to go". But that does not mean we can just sit around, being neglectful. One must bring a great sincerity and diligence to this "nothing to attain".

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Jundo...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Well, I would just say "members of the Sangha" ... which includes everyone, from the person who just sat here for the first time today to the teachers and novice priest-trainees, not to forget the Buddha and all Ancestors, the mountains and air and trees. On that last one, sometimes I like "leafers" for our particular Sangha.
    Yes that sounds about right, natural. When asked about name calling I thought along the lines of ."my friends"... now the this term is being used by others already but i meant it in a far less formal way I mean ... no high or low, low or high, just "yeah my friends and I were talking..." Sangha members works, well i think (of course imho)

Good chat too, thank you Dosho for *posting! I agree on the reset button its never to late to reset (im hitting it right now!) Im thinking it is too easy to, speaking solely for myself here, to write it off to the reset button to many times.

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    I agree on the reset button its never to late to reset (im hitting it right now!) Im thinking it is too easy to, speaking solely for myself here, to write it off to the reset button to many times.
    You speak for me as well on that point Shohei, so let's all hit that reset button and recommit to sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

You speak for me as well on that point Shohei, so let's all hit that reset button and recommit to sit!
    And to chant, and to study, and to do samu, ... :lol:

It was a very nice talk yesterday! Sorry for my poor connection... :roll:
    Thank you guys!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi All
    A reminder of the treeleaf teaparty on sunday 21:00 (swedish time) on skype

Please note DST is in effect for some folks so check your time.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=239
    US and Canada DST is not in effect until November 7th so the party will start an hour earlier

See you then.

Gassho
    Shohei

I am really, really planning on making it this weekend after my ongoing Hiatus. One thing though--I keep spacing out! If Fugen or Shohei would be so kind to message me on facebook if I don't have Skype on on Sunday, I'll bring Halloween cookies to the tea party

(ah yes. I am not above bribery!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    I am really, really planning on making it this weekend after my ongoing Hiatus. One thing though--I keep spacing out!
    Ditto!
    I do have family in town but I am really pushing for a bit of free time so am working to join you guys this week. Barring any overrulings by the boss (my wife) I'll see you all then

o.k. wrote that post not two min. ago and forgot what day Sunday was.......My daughters Birthday!! :shock: I will be in the middle of a party then :lol: so........ I will really see you guys the Following week!!
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

P.s. Happy Halloween everyone (those who celebrate?) Is it only a U.S. thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dday
    o.k. wrote that post not two min. ago and forgot what day Sunday was.......My daughters Birthday!! :shock: I will be in the middle of a party then :lol: so........ I will really see you guys the Following week!!
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Enjoy the part
    LOL Ill come egg your house, burn a stone bridge if you dont hand over the goods...er to my kids :twisted:
    (unfortunately that's the yearly koan round here...How to set a stone bridge a blaze?)
    Seriously though good question Dave, I know its common in US and Canada (and confirmed for on scary guy in Sweden) how about others?

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi all,

We have a very brief report this week, both because there was low attendance due to the holiday and I had to leave early:

We discussed the similarities between Halloween and monks begging for food, since both groups have bowls, wear robes, and get handouts. Would the Buddha egg someone's house if they didn't give him "treats"? Probably not.

Ango and practice partners were discussed...there is still some resistance to talking about Ango experiences, but as Fugen pointed out, our "failings" are how we ultimately strengthen our practice. If we were perfect, what would be the point in practicing?

Some were taking the kids trick or treating, others were getting ready for parties or just handing out candy, so we decided that's probably where most others were today. I had to leave early due to an impending crisis in the household: My eldest son didn't want to wear thermal underwear under his costume. In the end he wore them and good thing too: It was snowing by nightfall!

See everyone next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

A reminder of the treeleaf teaparty sunday 21:00 (swedish time) on skype.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Please note DST is in effect for some folks so check your time.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=239
    US and Canada DST is not in effect until November 7th so the party will start an hour earlier

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Sunday is November 7th, so DST will be ending overnight for US and Canada...I think. My brain hurts.

Hi all,

Here's this week's tea party report (apologies for the delay):

Much of the discussion was of a social nature, so aspects of practice weren't the primary topic of the day. To that end, the idea of starting a "newbies" tea party was brought up. Ideas were tossed around such as how often...perhaps once a month? What would be the benefit? Would people new to Treeleaf be more interested? Or would it be more attractive to long term folks who just haven't, for one reason or another, felt comfortable coming to the tea party. Same day and time? Ultimately it was decided to seek out any input from our fellow Treeleafers on this (or really any other topic related to the tea party). It was also thought by some that putting matters of practice up at the beginning and then having a more social portion afterwards would perhaps be a better format.

Topics of conversation ranged from adopting cats, to times when we say more than we should to others, Oprah, and a car named Bonkers. I guess you had to be there.

See you next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Just putting in a reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi all,

This week's call was well attended and Fugen announced a small change in the format. We now discuss matters of practice up front before we get into any issues of a more social nature. It was thought that sometimes having the two mixed together wasn't the best and the idea seemed to work smoothly. Also discussed was the idea of a beginner's tea party that would take place monthly an hour before the regular call. It is hoped that folks new to Treeleaf, practice, or just the "free for all" that is the tea party can feel more comfortable with fellow newbies. As was mentioned last week, any input is very welcome on how to help new people.

Issues discussed this week included advice on kesa sewing, increasing sitting time gradually, finding peace when we drop things (rakusus!) in the mud, sewing like there is no tomorrow (otherwise known as one day at a time), difficulty in maintaining ango commitments, breaking habits, persistent thoughts during zazen, and how to deal with innapropriate speech, both from others and your own mouth!

Hope to see you all next week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Just putting in a reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Please also note the Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty, beginning an hour earlier, 20.00, for people new to Treeleaf and people new/not comfortable to the Treeleaf teaparty format.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118

For anyone of them, please pm Shohei or Fugen your skypename.

Gassho and Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi
    This sunday we had both an Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty and a Treeleaf teaparty.

Here's an summary of what was discussed..

* Practice- our own and others
    * Sitting posture
    * Ango
    * Practicepartner excercises
    * Language
    * What everybody do, when not at the Treeleaf teaparty
    * ADD/ADHD and Medication
    * Stephanies visit at Chet, and his birthday
    * Perfectionism in practice and the troubles it brings
    * Music and age
    * The new Shobogenzoversion and Dogen

Thats about it,in a short concise way, i believe.. :roll:

See you next sunday, same time, same place

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I want to thank Fugen, Shohei, Julia, Chet, Stephanie, and Hans for my making first Tea Party welcoming and special.

Gassho, Rod

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Note: If you have skype and want to participate, please pm Shohei or Fugen your skypename if you haven't already done so.

Gassho and Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Another great Tea Party. Gassho, Rod

Hi all,

Tea Party report is forthcoming...had to take advantage of a sunny day before it turns cold and rainy tomorrow...I have the muscle aches to prove it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay...but here is this week's Tea Party report:

The meeting opened with an annoucement that even though many will be sitting with the recorded version of the retreat, the tea party will go on as scheduled. However, Jundo has requested that only folks who have sat some part of the retreat live attend. A couple people mentioned that they would either not make it or only stop by for a few minutes as they will be sleeping after doing the entire retreat live.

Many topics were discussed, including why more women don't participate in the tea parties (and at Treeleaf and Zen for that matter!), suggested reading from the booklist, various authors such as Norm Fischer and Stephen Batchelor, harvest celebrations, bad jokes, and philosophy (particularly the question of whether it "stinks"). The question was also asked, "If a chicken lays an egg and no one is around to hear it, does it smell like purple?" None of the attendees believed this to be a koan, but perhaps a good start to one.

Once the discussion turned to questions of, "How cold is cold? " and "Is there try or no try?", the gathering concluded.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Note: If you have skype and want to participate, please pm Shohei or Fugen your skypename if you haven't already done so.

Gassho and Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Many topics were discussed, including why more women don't participate in the tea parties (and at Treeleaf and Zen for that matter!)
    Well, I have no webcam and my computer is a 2004 dinosaur anyway :P . We're planning on getting a new machine soon . . . when that happens I hope to check out the tea parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    Many topics were discussed, including why more women don't participate in the tea parties (and at Treeleaf and Zen for that matter!)
    Well, I have no webcam and my computer is a 2004 dinosaur anyway :P . We're planning on getting a new machine soon . . . when that happens I hope to check out the tea parties.
    Hi.

You don't need an webcam to join.
    Its all audio.
    As for the computer, well some people still think you should never leave windows XP, but i had an old dinosaur until recently (when it was stolen) and it worked fine!
    Maybe we should post some guide to the teaparty?
    I'll take it up with Shohei and at the next teaparty...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi all,

Here is this past week's tea party report:

As the 3rd annual Treeleaf Rohatsu retreat had only concluded a few hours earlier, attendance was light with a couple people that sat live, another who had sat part of the retreat live, and another who will sit it in the coming weeks. There was a discussion of how things might be improved (specifically the layout of the chant book so people don't have to keep flipping around...perhaps a chronological layout?) but also recognition of how much work was put into the retreat by Jundo and Taigu. Perfect.

Perspectives on a few elements of the retreat were mentioned, particularly the difference in the day led by Jundo and the day by Taigu. Different was very good! Oryoki was also discussed: Where to get authentic sets, resources to learn different versions of the ceremony, and getting seconds. One of the attendees, a relative newcomer to Treeleaf, also asked Fugen and Shohei about priest ordination. By this time though the live sitters and the European contingent were getting pretty beat, so the call ended so all could rest up.

Hope to "see" folks this weekend (all audio...no webcam required)!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast