Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Dear Leafers,

We invite you to join in a short ceremony and a casual discussion on practice and life (and anything really) every Sunday 21:00 swedish time (click on the link to figure out when that is :-) ) at the "Treeleaf Tea Party" via Google+, for Treeleaf Sangha members like you!

SWEDEN TIME: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc....html?n=239url

If you want to join, Simply contact Fugen (you will see him around the Forum) with your google+ name.

Relax, chat with friends, have some tea. Here is a little video by Fugen talking about the Tea Party ... and below is the typical content of the weekly Tea Party:

(NOTE: THE MEETING IS ON GOOGLE+ EVEN THOUGH FUGEN MENTIONS SKYPE IN THE VIDEO)

Last edited by Jundo; 09-29-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Stephanie

Re: The Tea Party

It's unfortunate that you all are calling your gathering 'the tea party,' as there is currently a hate-filled, racist, conservative American political movement that goes by the same moniker... :evil:

That said, I hope to eventually figure out how to join in on things like this, to get more deeply involved with Treeleaf. Skype definitely sounds like something I should get--do I understand correctly it's of minimal cost?

Oh these things are all free!!! skype cost you just your Time to setup and use its brilliant really. AS for setting it up, I could help ya out if you wanted, instructions are straight forward enought so it could be easily done over msn or what not.

Its really just downloading the program and installing it. Then you launch it, create your account, check your settings (if you have a webcam plugged in, head phones and microphone your rocking already skype will chose them for you most times) and you just add another person to your call list like you would for msn or other chat type programs.

As for the name...I was, until now, unaware of these(most for that matter) political bandits in any country! that said its just a title for the thread the actual meeting could be called ... Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips fwiw
    Actually... .LOL good idea

Just let me know if you need some assistance ill do what ever I can.

Gassho
    Shohei

Hello Stephanie,

I guess since Canada, Sweden and Germany don't have a Tea Party movement, we are trying to do our own part to give these innocent two words a positive meaning Iam more thinking about Alice in Wonderland!

Skype is free when it comes to one computer calling another computer btw, although with conference calls one can only use audio. All you need is a headset!

Just give it a try. It takes less than ten minutes to set it all up.

Come join the REAL Tea Party movement!

Gassho,

Hans

Re: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Hey Shohei,

how dare you post faster than me???? WE SHALL MEET AGAIN,MY NEMESIS!!!!! ...possibly tonight at eight actually

Gassho,

Hans

Stephanie

Thanks, Shohei, I will. Might take me a few weeks to get organized enough to do this, or maybe I'll catch a fire and do it in the next few days... who knows.

And I think 'The Tea Party' was a great name--connotations of hospitality, alertness, the Mad Hatter :lol: --but unfortunately now my primary association with the phrase 'The Tea Party' is that political movement. I'm sure I'm not the only American who would have read the thread title and initially assumed it was a political thread, so it probably was a good call to change it, so as to divert potential rant energy away from the thread :wink:

disastermouse

I have skype and I've video chatted with no feedback. Is there a particular problem with multiple people or something?

I have headphones - that should work just fine?

I was going to sleep today, but I'm wired. I'll PM Fugen my skype name and maybe you'll see (hear?) me at 3PM today.

Chet

Hi Chet,

as far as I know multiple user conferences are audio-only...though Skype will shortly introduce a video-call option for up to five people simultaneously (which will ultimately cost something).

See ya later, Gassho,

Hans

Well today I think we will try the videoconference.com link up top. Ill hit the site before tea-time and post the url to join. supports up to six. Skype is our fail safe. if all else fails we can goto skype and have an audio only chat

yeah Chet, sometimes its okay to get away with speakers and mic, however, multiple people means multiple sound level settings so some on may have their mic cranked along with their speaker and so every word everyone says loops back into the room...ala the first jukai ceremony (awesome effect there though!)

See yas in a couple hours.

Gassho
    Shohei

Alrighty... coffee is brewing here.
    lets give this a try
    http://www.videoconference.com/?v=yl...6xpRF9FHkQSVnA

Gassho
    Shohei

disastermouse

First it wouldn't let me get video because it said I have no webcam.

Then I tried to go back in Safari and now there's no room for me. Why do I bother with this shit?

Chet

Hey Sorry was worth a try. Skype it is!

Gassho

I will try and join the next one, this is a great idea. Have you tried http://www.tokbox.com? We use that for work.

Gassho,

SZ

Great conversations! Thanks to you all!
    Sorry bout my quietness...probably a good thing anyway Ill get that mic fixed asap

Gassho
    Shohei

Great and stimulating topics today all of you, thank you so much for the talk. See ya all next week. Hope to meet more new people as well so don't hestitate to join us!
    Gassho ~ Dave.

That's noon my time, so I should be able to make it next week. Just need to reinstall Skype on this computer and figure out where I put my head set...

disastermouse

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if I was a bit 'out of control' last night - the worse the sleep deprivation gets, the less focused and worse my ADHD gets. If I offended anyone or ran anyone over in the conversation, I'm very sorry.

Chet

Hey Chet,

I can only speak for myself, yesterday was good clean fun. Pebbles polishing one another. The heart of all we're doing here is and should be Zazen IMHO, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy playing around with idea-flowers in space once in while!

I'll tell you how the sesshin went on Friday

Gassho,

Hans

P.S. Just don't forget the walnut tree shell or no shell...

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Hey Chet,

I can only speak for myself, yesterday was good clean fun. Pebbles polishing one another. The heart of all we're doing here is and should be Zazen IMHO, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy playing around with idea-flowers in space once in while!

I'll tell you how the sesshin went on Friday

Gassho,

Hans

P.S. Just don't forget the walnut tree shell or no shell...
    Something that you should be aware of that just doesn't come across in my communication style is that I'm often hyperbolic - so when I say things like 'So what?' and 'Who cares?' about the shell of the walnut, I'm not really daft enough to think they aren't important. In fact, they are so important that I DO want to do Jukai, sew a Rakusu, learn Oryoki, and the other 'rituals' of Zen. I just hope that they don't get so much screen-time that the real heart of the practice gets lost...and so sometimes I'm hyperbolic in defense of what, to me, is the heart of the practice.

*gassho*

Chet

Heyho,

don't worry so much Chet. If you step on anybody's toes too much, I'm sure that person would dare to say "ouch"....or others might say "ouch" for him/her.

"Don't worry, be happy."
    -Bobby McFerrin

Gassho,

Hans

Are we on again for this Sunday? I could use for some colorful language interspersed with intelligent thought, and I am sure I will be drinking tea around that time anyhow...

~Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Heathen
    Are we on again for this Sunday? I could use for some colorful language interspersed with intelligent thought, and I am sure I will be drinking tea around that time anyhow...

~Rob
    Hi.

Yes.
    Always here (or at skype...) (and not two by the way...).

And if you reading this want to join and i don't have your skype, please pm me beforehand and i'll add you to the list.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Tea is being served in 1 min, all welcome

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi.

Tea is up in 10 minutes.
    If you want to join, we'll meet on skype as usual.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

disastermouse

Did I miss it?

It's 5:30 Eastern.

Hey Chet,

Yeah, you did...as far as I know it's always been at 3pm.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Chet yeah sorry we missed ya :C. Thanks for joining in Dosho! Very nice afternoon chat all. See you all next Sunday.

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi Shohei,

Yes, it was a very good conversation and I'm glad I worked through my nervousness! Thanks to all and hopefully I'll get to join in again soon.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I hope to be joining you all again very soon. I won't be able to participate this Sunday, but I'm hoping to make it in a couple weeks. I don't have a headset, so I guess I'll have to try getting one. We are moving very soon and will be staying in a hotel for quite some time until we find a new house to live in. We will be refugees for some time.

take care all,
    Kelly-Jinmei

Hi.

Just a post to say that we're on as usual.
    And a reminder that if you want to get in and we've already started, please send me (or shohei) a line so we can let you in on the action.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hiyas
    Icant make it today as ther have been thunder storms all afternoon here and it's taken out my Internet for the time being. Im posting this from my "3G enabled tablet device" literally balancing on the edge of the bathroom sink facing the wall ( techno-pretzel zazen?)to get a bar of cell service.

If things come back up in the mean time I will be right there!!

Gassho
    Shohei

Wow what an elaborate plan just to avoid having to do the meal chant ;P

Hi.

Since shohei is out swinging a stick at some innocent ball, i'm reminding everyone that if you want, there's teaparty.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hello,
    I'll try to join you today.

All the best,
    em

Stephanie

Was going to join you all this weekend but realized I needed a headset and/or mic. D'oh! :mrgreen:

Next weekend, my folks are coming in for a visit. Maybe by the weekend after, I'll have my shit together... :lol:

Hi,
    I enjoyed talking to you last time. I'll most likely be joining you this weekend too.

All the best.
    em

Hi.

THe thought came up that we could have an specific "theme", some sort of ground on which to base our talks on sundays.
    Whats your thoughts on that?
    If you do have any such "themes" you'd like to put forth please do so, either here in the thread or pm me or shohei.
    And of course, these are just for the "frame" of things, things will still be more or less as normal on sundays...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I think this is a fantastic idea. Being that this Sunday is American Independence Day, maybe we should discuss the delusion of freedom and what it means to Americans, socially, politically and spiritually.

Just a thought...

Rob

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Heathen
    I think this is a fantastic idea. Being that this Sunday is American Independence Day, maybe we should discuss the delusion of freedom and what it means to Americans, socially, politically and spiritually.

Just a thought...

Rob
    Counterpoint:

The Myth of Freedom

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Counterpoint:

The Myth of Freedom

Chet
    Exactly.

Rob

Hi.

This is the mad hatter, reminding of the teaparty.

We're going to try this topicsidea...
    And we'll start with the delusion of freedom and what it means to You, socially, politically and spiritually...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Sorry to have missed the party this week Was out enjoying the holiday with family

Next week I should have all my ducks in a row to join back in with the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    Sorry to have missed the party this week Was out enjoying the holiday with family

Next week I should have all my ducks in a row to join back in with the fun!
    Hi.

No problem, its all good practice.
    we're always here, if you need us.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi.

For those who want to, there's an skype 5 betaversion out.
    It features a five-way videoconference for instance.
    Link for download (doesn't work mac though, so...)
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/ ... dows/beta/

It would be nice if some of you who participate at the teaparty would download this, and that we could try it out for future use...

Thanks for your practice.
    Mtfbwy
    Fugen

disastermouse

Does it work for Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Does it work for Mac?
    Hi.

No, apparently the Beta doesn't work for mac, but it should not be any problem hooking up with macusers that have the old version when someone runs the Betaversion.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Fugen,

Interesting development! If I get some time I'll try donwloading it and see how it goes. Won't be there for this Sunday (my son's birthday) but am planning to join the following weekend.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

This is the mad hatter reminding about the teaparty.
    And a warning for those who join, you might be guinea pigs for some stuff...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Stephanie

I'm setting up my headset and joining Skype right now... Skype name ZenStephanie... So how do I get on / where do I call when it starts?

Hi guys,

Good luck with the tea party. I'm afriad, I can't join this evening but hope to make future sessions.

We have the small manner of the World Cup Final tonight

Gassho,

Ryan

Stephanie:
    I usually jump online just before the scheduled time and send Fugen a message, (on skype or PM) I think he usually sets up the calls, then just wait for the call and awnser. pretty easy, though Fugen can correct this if I am wrong, or perhaps changed.
    See ya there! have a great day.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast