Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Re: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party)

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.
    Thank you for your practice.

Note: If you have skype and want to participate, please pm Shohei or Fugen your skypename if you haven't already done so.

Gassho and Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Today's Tea Party discussion was really good, and I was glad to meet two new Tea Partygoers. Gassho to everyone there.

Julia

Thank you to all who attended yesterday's tea party. I really enjoyed myself and meeting new people. Hope to see everybody again next week.

-Jim

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Also, this sunday we have the Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty, starting an hour earlier, 20.00 (swedish time).
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118

If you want to join either, Just pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is this past week's tea party report:

The turnout was very high this week, with most folks staying the entire time with a few latecomers just stopping by to say hello. A high number of the attendees were graduate students taking a break during their finals week who were looking forward to doing the rohatsu retreat or just getting a chance to rest. Fugen started the call by bringing to our attention to a post from one Treeleafer that Harada Daiun Roshi had died this day in 1961. Fugen also asked everyone about their practice. One participant mentioned that his practice has actually heightened since ango ended, with more sittings and reading, and a few of the others mentioned a similar phenomenon. It was speculated that, for some, maybe there is increased pressure from ourselves to sit more during ango which actually has the opposite effect. Another person discussed how they'd been listening to Norman Fischer's talks at Everyday Zen a lot lately and had found them inspiring.

Other topics included the diverse climates we were all calling from, some very warm and others very cold and snowy. One Treeleafer made a return to the tea party after several months, calling from his home in the US, but was soon heading overseas. One of the topics included land mines, both the actual ones that explode and topics that are sensitive in nature...which we seem to navigate successfully. We also discussed the new translation of Shobogenzo...how expensive it is, which version is "better", and how the Nishijima/Crross version is available online, which is especially nice for searching. Then, after a lengthy discussion of the interaction of buddhism and zen with psychology, the tea party concluded.

Hope to see you at the tea party this week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all,

Here's this past week's tea party report:

The tea party was a small gathering this week of recent regulars and a long time attendee who hadn't been on in awhile. There was some discussion of the practice partner exercises from Ango and a particularly active thread on the forum about the possibility of being a priest in both zen and christian traditions. The crazy weather in Los Angeles also came up with one member living through it as well as a discussion of crazy relationships in our personal lives. One person had also recently ordered a Taigu recommended book, "Realizing Genjokoan" and reviews from the attendees who had read it were very positive (I ordered it!). As the call concluded, a few remaining discussed the hope that one would become a regular on the forum again.

Hope to "see" you on the tea party call this week!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Putting in an early (since its the holidays and all...) reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty, on sunday 21.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

If you want to join, Just pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Also, there will be a surprise this sunday, so....

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

The call started off with one of our priests in training asking if many folks had sitting groups near them. Besides one of our other novices who had one (two?) going, most indicated that they did not. Both mentioned the biggest issue being regular, consistent sitters. It was thought that many people come to sittings thinking they don't know how to sit, some even still believing that after attending more than one sitting.

There were many questions asked during the call and, as usually happens, there were more questions than answers. One person on the call asked if "successful" people have any reason to sit zazen or if folks who sit are mostly those who feel "lost" in some way, which probably depends on how you define "success" and "lost". Other questions were, "What brings you back to the cushion after time away?", "Can you throw away many of the esoteric practices of particular sects, but still maintain any kind of tradition?", "Can too much study and not enough sitting make one's practice academic?", and "Is it all b#llsh!t?"'

In the end, there was one thing agreed to by all left: Jar-Jar is a very poorly written character.

Hope to see some of you on this week's call!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    Hi,

Well, I received a complaint about the content and language of the above link. It perhaps could be more gentle in tone, speech and forgiveness ...

So, I will just leave it at this ...

Let us all send much Metta to Jar-Jar ... he cannot help being Jar-Jar, and Jar-Jar is just who we are ... we may all someday be reborn as Jar-Jar, in a Galaxy Far Far Away ...

Gassho, Jundo

Oops... I should have mentioned that the link was to be watched at own risk. That was why I posted the link and not the actual video. Sorry!

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time ).
    Contains a short ceremony and some friendly talks.
    If you want to join, unless you already have, pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here is this week's (much belated) tea party report:

With Fugen off to a family event for the beginning of the call, attendance was fairly light with only a couple folks on for the entire time. All of our priest trainees made an appearance though, including Fugen just at the end. For many it was the last day of holiday break and while it was back to the grind for some, for others it was a welcome return to normalcy. There was some "shop talk", with discussions of practice centers nearby and sutras with incredibly long names. Other topics included rebuilding computers nearly from scratch, Christmas traditons in different countries, flu symptoms, the unfortunate realities of profanity laced childrens' music, and mormonism.

Just another typical tea party! Hope to see some folks...later today!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all,

Here is this past week's (couldn't get much more belated than this) tea party report:

The call started with some technical difficulties, but after all was set straight we had a good number of folks including some newbies! There was a lively discussion about one participant's practice who was feeling disconnected from the sangha but afterwards much less so. A general conversation followed about feeling "burnt out" at times after making zazen a regular aspect of your life, particularly when we feel like we HAVE to do zazen and then punish ourselves when we don't sit as often as our lofty expectations demand. It seemed to be agreed by many that perfectionism can be a detriment to practice if we don't see all of our imperfect lives as zazen. Some general discussions followed on politics, zen communites and how they deal with "scandals" inside and outside particular sanghas, as well as the many sutras and their meanings and place in our practice.

Hope to see some folks...in about 45 minutes.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty , 21.00 (swedish time ).
    If you want to join, unless you already have, pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Will have to miss this week. Hope you guys have a good talk!

Gassho,
    Shawn

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty ,sunday 21.00 (swedish time ).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi all,

Here's this past week's, just under the wire, tea party report:

A new feature added to the tea party recently is beginning with a short sit, which does seem to set a nice tone for discussing matters of practice. We were joined by all 3 priest trainees and began with a discussion of our sitting space. A number of folks have been setting up new spaces which one person mentioned does feel very different than the space he's been using for the last couple years. Some are using spare bedrooms, others what amount to oversized closets. We also discussed the idea of sitting groups which some have begun in their local communities. Most in attendance mentioned wanting to start a group at some point, but for sitting, not prosletyzing.

Hans recommended a book to all members of the sangha: Cultivating the Empty Field (most recent translation by Taigen Dan Leighton) which he found to be a short but very illuminating read. Recent threads on the forum about community service and whether or not it was important to identify ourselves as buddhist when volunteering were discussed as well as the support we receive (or don't) from our significant others. There was also some discussion of the virtues of Netflix as we concluded.

Hope to "see" some folks on today's call!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hello friends,
    A quick lesson this morning on impermanence and paitence for me, as I had this post nearly finished a momemt ago,
    and proceeded to (as I have done numerous times before) to flail about and hit Something on my keyboard that made my
    browser go back........**Poof**

So as advised by my wife (also numerous times) I am now writing this in word, and I will copy and paste to the post
    later.

Anyway here (again) is your weekly report of this past Sundays Tea gathering. Turnout was lighter than some weeks
    but a very good and broad ranging discussion was shared on many different topics of life and practice. I was so busy
    listening, (and running my own mouth) That my notes were not as clear as I like, so here is a Vauge recolection of
    the topics discussed.

After our short group sit, and sharing of personal points of recent practice the discussion moved on to the use of
    Internet communications, and how it relates to our practice and the concept of the "virtual Sangha" regarding what
    is cosidered real or not when utilizing various technologies to conduct operations and communicate.

We later went on to discuss the differences between Re-birth, and Re-incarnation, and the various ideas associated
    with those concepts. This conversation progressed into a deep and a bit mindbending discussion on the concept of
    Self, and how it relates to time, and perception. (as I decribed Sunday, it was all very Stephen Hawking type stuff)
    Very cool but difficult at times. You never know where these disscusion will go.

As always I personally had a great time sharing with friends.
    Till next week may all your little moments of time be well.
    Deep bows and gratitude to all ~ Dave.

Thanks Dave!

Hi.

A reminder of the Treeleaf teaparty ,sunday 21.00 (swedish time ) on skype.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

And a reminder, next week we have the Treeleaf beginners teaparty...
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Hi guys,

Just so you know, I'll probably miss the beginning of the tea party this week but may make it for some of the call. Otherwise, I'll talk to you the following week.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

And a reminder, THIS WEEK we have the Treeleaf beginners teaparty...
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3118

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

I bought my wife a web cam for her birthday! :twisted: 8)
    (And some other stuff...)

I'll see if I can be there!
    I rarely speak english any more, so I'm a little shy. On the other hand, it's all in my head and it's all practice! :wink:

/Pontus

Hello friends,
    Sorry for the delay my mind got a bit distracted this week, but here is a quick report on last Sunday's Tea Party meeting.

As always we began with a short period of Zazen followed by a disscussion period on individuals practice. This went on into a disscussion on some of the difficulties one encounters with various aspects of practice, such as sitting regulary.

Most of the time this week was spent on general practice area topics, sitting, chanting, timers, Iphone apps.
    There was also some talk of music and how it can change ones immediate feeling or attitude, and then a disscussion on health and weightloss, the tracking of calories, and different training, diet practices.
    Turnout this week was fair, and we had the pleasure of welcoming a new person to the visit (always great to see new people ) as well we welcomed back and old friend.

Thanks to all, see you on Sunday.
    Gassho.

Thanks Hogo...I stopped in a for a bit after you left, so I'll look forward to talking with you and the other folks on Sunday!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Fugen,
    Thanks for the Teaparty. I really appreciated it. It was amazing to meet you all and talk to you all. Thank you. And sorry for talking so much ... I think it's a national trait!
    See you all again soon I hope.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Nah you did not talk to much. It was great to meet you, come back soon.
    Thanks to everyone for the visit. See you next week.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

And sorry for talking so much ... I think it's a national trait!
    I always talk too much...heh, I'm Irish after all! :mrgreen: :lol:

Today's Tea Party was wonderful.

Gassho
    Julia

Hello,

thank you all for being there yesterday. It's absolutely wonderful to be allowed to catch/share glimpses of your/our lives and practice.

With all this Irish talk I feel like visiting Ireland once more....there's a time for everything.

Have a great week!

Gassho,

Hans

It was nice to talk to you Soen for the first time and to see some familiar voices over cam! It was a very good discussion and I hope to see many of you (and hopefully some new folks) next week.

And please keep us advised on that package you are having delivered soon!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Last Teaparty's secretarylist

Soens upcoming new kid
    Kids
    Spiritual posers
    Open/closed eyes during zazen
    How to sit/posture in zazen
    The Treeleaf Forum and other forums
    Main talk and such

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Dear all,
    Baby Eamonn arrived at 2am Irish time after our teaparty. Mother and baby doing well.
    gassho,
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Dear all,
    Baby Eamonn arrived at 2am Irish time after our teaparty. Mother and baby doing well.
    gassho,
    Soen
    Congrats Da...a new little Treeleafer!!

I expect pictures soon.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen
    Mazetov! (and old Gaelic word). Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Gassho, J

Re: Re: Sharing Helpful and Insightful Tips (was The Tea Party

Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen
    Congratulations! Will dedicate my morning practice to Eamonn.

Gassho,
    Shawn

Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen
    Congrats!
    Gassho. ~Dave.

Hello!

Congratulations Ian, that's excellent news!

Gassho,

Hans

Congrats to your new teacher!

Hi.

Congrats!

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen
    Congratulations!!! Hello buddha, goodbye sleep!

Ron

Welcome, Eamonn!

Congratulations, Servants of Eamonn! 8)

Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen

!!
    Congratulations!!!

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    First it wouldn't let me get video because it said I have no webcam.

Then I tried to go back in Safari and now there's no room for me. Why do I bother with this shit?

Chet

Because the actual people involved might be worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogo
    Dear all,
    gassho,
    Soen
    Congrats!
    Gassho. ~Dave.

Awesome, my man!!! Slainte!!

Hi.

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Thank you all for the kindness and good wishes. I appreciate it. My wife is impressed by your goodwill: "what a great forum!"
    Deep and tired bows,
    Soen

Hi all,

Turnout was a bit light, but consistent in the members joining from the previous week. After meal and robe chants and a short sit, the discussion turned to matters of practice on and off the cushion. Some reported frustrations with things like cell phones submerged in water and doctors who don't return emergency calls while others had a boring (as in good) week of sitting. Also mentioned was a common agreement that the videos posted by Jundo and Taigu over the past couple weeks have been very helpful to practice. We discussed topics ranging from the changes in the middle east and north africa and how they mirror the events of the late 8os in some respects, how our spouses regard our zen practice, how the end of the week zazenkais seem to come at the "right" time for some, welcome wagons, and oranges for Ango. After about half the participants had departed the remaining folks had a discussion about education and the decision to send your kids to public school or homeschooling them.

Hope to see some regular and new faces at the tea party this Sunday!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all

If you want to join either, Just pm Fugen or Shohei your skypename.

Also, next sunday we have the Treeleaf beginners mind teaparty, starting an hour earlier, 20.00 (swedish time).

Everybody's welcome.
    Same time, same place.

Gassho & Mtfbwy
    Shohei and Fugen

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast