Thread: Good downloads!

Good downloads!

Hi.

Since i like listening to mp3 talks and such and have finally learned how to do it on my phone ( ops: ) i wondered if there is anyone in particular you would like to recommend downloading and listening to.
    if so, please post links to them here.

Mtfbwy
    fugen

Re: Good downloads!

Hello,

i-tunes has a bunch of podcasts that are listed under buddhism. I haven't had time to explore them yet. That might be a good place to start.

mtfbwy,

Ron

Hi.

Yes, stephen batchelor is a nice one.
    Actually, my favourite of the ones of the "godless religion..."-series is those where martine is talking... ops:

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi Fugen,

I really like Norm Fishers lectures http://www.everydayzen.org/index.php...rman%20Fischer

And I regularly listed to Buddhist Geeks....in fact how I found Treeleaf http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/category/podcast/

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    Although "Zen Cast" is not a particular "Zen" themed podcast, more "Insight Meditation" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Although "Zen Cast" is not a particular "Zen" themed podcast, more "Insight Meditation" ...
    Yes I like the podcasts, but thought the name was odd....perhaps because Gil Fronsdal's started out in Zen...or maybe they just thought the name sounded cool?

I had to take a little road trip so I was able to listen to a few podcasts from i-tunes. So far my favorite talk has been from the Toledo zen center. It is listed in i-tunes under "drinking gourd". Most of the stuff I've found has been koan related. I'm going to listen to some of the Upaya.org talks next.

Thanks Fugen for bringing up the topic.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW
    Yes I like the podcasts, but thought the name was odd....perhaps because Gil Fronsdal's started out in Zen...or maybe they just thought the name sounded cool?
    The use of the word zen is far too often used for things having nothing to do with it whatsoever. Every time I pass it on a road near my house, I think to stop in and ask the proprietors of "Zen Nails" exactly what a "zen" nail is...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Correct. But was Fugen looking for something zennie? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

Since i like listening to mp3 talks and such and have finally learned how to do it on my phone ( ops: ) i wondered if there is anyone in particular you would like to recommend downloading and listening to.
    if so, please post links to them here.

Mtfbwy
    fugen
    So, did you find anything you would recommend?

Good to see your face by the way .

Ron

Hi.

yes, went through the stephen batchelor ones, going through buddhist geeks and everyday zen at the moment.
    It's like life, its good practice.
    some podcasts are good and some i wouldn't listen to again...

Actually this podcast is good for those who hadn't heard it before...
    http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2007/12/bg ... and-there/

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by chugai
    On ITunes, I subscribed to Ancient Dragon Zen Gate Dharma talks, San Francisco Zen Center Dharma talks and Zencast I listen to those in rotation while I'm on the treadmill at the gym ...
    I'll give them a try. I kind of like the Minnesota Zen Center podcasts that I've listened to (That's Steve Hagan's center I believe.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.
    It's like life, its good practice.
    some podcasts are good and some i wouldn't listen to again...
    Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Yep.

Ron

disastermouse

Hagen's place is actually 'Dharma Field' - I think someone from the same greater Sangha runs the Minnesota Zen Center. Maybe I'm wrong?

Chet

http://www.badbuddhistradio.com

he hasnt updated in a while but the archives are there. Very practical and to the point, though some may find it "irreverant".

disastermouse

Irreverence is a spicy ingredient. It's great as a part of a whole meal, but it tires the palate if used too liberally...IMHO.

Reverence has its place, irreverence has its place.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Hagen's place is actually 'Dharma Field' - I think someone from the same greater Sangha runs the Minnesota Zen Center. Maybe I'm wrong?

Chet
    Nope, you are right.

Ron

I am not sure how most people feel about Noah Levine and the "Dharma Punx" crew(s). I have my mixed feelings about him, personally. But, with that said, I have listened to a few of the pod casts from this site and feel there is definitely some worthwhile things there. Give it a try, or not.

http://againstthestream.org/audio

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Heathen
    I am not sure how most people feel about Noah Levine and the "Dharma Punx" crew(s). I have my mixed feelings about him, personally. But, with that said, I have listened to a few of the pod casts from this site and feel there is definitely some worthwhile things there. Give it a try, or not.

http://againstthestream.org/audio
    Ditto. Some talks I loved, some I could not even get through all of them. I like Vinny Ferraro alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Chet
    If you define "greater Sangha" as far as receiving transmission from the same person, yes. Dharma Field, MZMC, and Clouds in Water all post their talks online. I've also listened to a few from San Francisco. I don't have a smartphone yet so I couldn't tell you how accessible they are, but I can get them all from my computer.

Fugen,

You might find this useful:

http://www.audiodharma.org/

James.

Not sure if podcasts count, but wzen.org has some good ones.. They're from the Zen Mountain Monastery