Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

What's the difference between these three words?

Re: Hello

Now, you might notice that our thinking caps go on as soon as we see What's the difference between these three words. We want to figure it out. Like it's a problem, but in fact, the answer may vary according to whoever is answering it. It's like mu. People sit for hours and say mu. They say "Why in the heck am I saying mu? What is mu?" Just let mu be mu (open past mu, and what's there? MU!*) .

I was not going to respond to this, but I thought I would as koans a can lead a long path and the answer is a simple as "hello/no hello". On one day the hello might be terrible. On another day the hello might be great. On this day the hello might be spectacular, but on any day the hello is hello. I picture Mr. T saying" You gonna tell me what hello means sucka?"

Hello.

Study-

The-

"Self"-

Be an apple. In fact, you could be an apple for all you know. You don't even know what you are. Not a person, not an apple, not a hello, not whisper, not a anything.

And

-that's
    -how
    -it
    -goes.

Gassho

* nothing/emptiness (oooh doesn't that sound tasty?

It just means sit Monkton and do good.

A koan is like a cliff. As soon as get to the edge we can either jump off, or continue with our practice. Know nothing. That's basically what it is. But what do I know?

Sit, and sit, and sit, then getup, then sit, then get up, then sit, then get up some more and sit and so on. As soon as we've got it all figured out, we don't. Life changes with the moment.

Kanji Zai bo Satsu Gyo. Jin Hanya Hara mi ta Ji...

_/_

Reminds me of the first computer program I ever wrote. 'Hellow World' From that simple Hello after many years of adding, developing, writing, it seemed that computer had a mind of its own. All of our thinking over a lifetime makes us think we have a mind of our own - but its just the action of one view of the universe - and something is happening here but we 'don't know' what it is - just rambling fwiw....

/Rich

Just scratching my head :?
    I react to the word 'koan' in pretty much the same way as I used to react to the words 'maths test'.
    I'm an inveterate koan-misser: I'm always making the basic mistake of looking for some logical solution. Even when I read the 'zen solution' it glances straight off me, although sometimes I get a glimpse of a door closing in the sky and the answer's heel just disappearing through it. As soon as I look for what I think I saw though, it's all featureless blue again.

I was hopeless at those 'magic 3-D pictures' too...

Anyway, hope you're getting a long weekend over there - we work with some folks in Dalian and they're all off on Monday

best wishes,
    Monkton

I'm always making the basic mistake of looking for some logical solution. Even when I read the 'zen solution' it glances straight off me, although sometimes I get a glimpse of a door closing in the sky and the answer's heel just disappearing through it.
    It not about you. It's about practice.Study the self doesn't mean Study "you". Stop saying "I, I, I"

That's useful - thanks!
    Monkton

Hi, Will. *waves*