Hi Chet and anyone else that wants to wade in

In my experience, the perfection of each moment is unconditioned. A realization of this is fundamental to Zen practice, IMHO. As the Heart Sutra proclaims, 'Form is emptiness'. A realization of the true emptiness of self and objects, that one does not directly experience them
I really don't like the word perfection in this context and feel that "as it is" is about all we can really say without attaching a value judgement on it.
It is unconditioned in the sense that when we experience no separation there is not one "thing" to condition another "thing" but that is only half the truth. There are also "things" conditioning other "things". My reply to you only exists because you exist as separate from me and your post conditions my use of time at this moment. One is no more 'real' than the other. Both are true and both need to be acknowledged and lived as one ultimately- which is beyond the concept of "one" too.

This I think ultimately shows why the Theravadin insistence of morality, in one sense at least, is a skilful means. It doesn't throw out the relative in favour of the one sided absolute.

If one tries to enforce morality upon oneself, there is internal conflict - there is then dualism and the casting of shadows. This will never work, because creating allies and enemies within oneself is inherently self-defeating.
Seeing the internal conflict at the same time as experiencing the "not internal conflict" allows both the "as it is" andthe continued working on the desire to act in ways that are skilful to end suffering to be present without separation.

All the best

Rich