Thread: Zen

Zen

Zen doesn't work on your abs, or gluts, or driving skills, or homework, or sensitivity, or charisma, or ineffability.

It doesn't say Hello. It doesn't say goodbye. It doesn't do much of anything. It's like a big log that just sits there, and no matter how much we scream "MOOOOVE!!!!", it will continue to stay stationary.

It's like an apple in the morning, or a song within the wind.

Gasshooo

Re: Zen

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Zen doesn't work on your abs, or gluts, or driving skills, or homework, or sensitivity, or charisma, or ineffability.

It doesn't say Hello. It doesn't say goodbye. It doesn't do much of anything. It's like a big log that just sits there, and no matter how much we scream "MOOOOVE!!!!", it will continue to stay stationary.

Gasshooo
    Zen exercises your abs and gluts, practices your driving skills, does you homework, sometimes has sensitivity and charisma and is ineffabile ... except when not any of that.

Zen says Hello. Zen says goodbye. Zen doesn't do much of anything while doing everything. Zen is a big log that just sits there and the Spring flower that grows upon it, Zen screams "MOOOOVE!!!!" and then MOOOOVES!!!!, except when staying stationary.

It's like an apple in a song or the morning within the wind.

Ah, .... if only there was a "Zen"! 8)

It takes extremely skillful speech to describe it so that you and others see the reality of it. Dogen had a knack for this. I appreciate all the sincere efforts of everyone here.
    /Rich

If you can describe it, you haven't been there.

Gasshooo

Still learning haw to use this function!

Or... your not there now.

What is a word, but a word?

It is like an apple in the morning, and a song in the wind.

Gassho

What are the functions of animals and human beings? As far as I can see, it mostly to just shit, and eat and make "other" human beings . Each thing According to it's function. Well...what's your function?

Gassho _/_

What are the functions of animals and human beings? As far as I can see, it mostly to just shit, and eat and make "other" human beings . Each thing According to it's function. Well...what's your function?

Gassho _/_
    I think it is a lovely afternoon (at least here, hope in Dalian too). You should turn off the computer and go outside. 8)

Hi Will,

Will speaks like Sawaki Kodo when he writes...

What are the functions of animals and human beings? As far as I can see, it mostly to just shit, and eat and make "other" human beings
    Sawaki Kodo was a great teacher...and a very pejudiced person and sometimes totally lacking sensitivity. Why not having a nice stroll? Why can't you take such a gentle pointer?

Be humble, because it is you. You famous quote of Shobogenzo Genjokoan.

Indeed Jundo's pointers are useless, but there are not just pointers, just friendly words.

Take care...of others too.

gassho

Taigu

I'm taking a break. I think that's best.

Indeed criticism is not needed. Yet we have moments where things happen ie. Shit happens. You can' t take it back. Anyway, thank you Taigu. I'll think I'll go to bed now.

What irritated about the comment was the fact that you know nothing about me. You don't know when I leave the house, or when I do this or that. You have no idea of my habits, or even likes/dislikes, or even preferences. Although none of that stuff matters, it's Jundo's assumption that I "must" go out side because there "must" be something wrong with me and what I said or did, or do. I think this keeps coming up, but anyway. I don't have to listen to Jundo, I just have to listen to what this is. We learn from our experience. No matter how often you say "GO OUT SIDE!!" The person will not do anything until they realize and accept for themselves that they "should" "GO- OUT -SIDE!!!"

Anyway, none of that matters now, and is useless to talk about. Good night and I hope you have a nice day or evening.

Gassho

Stephanie

will,

I don't know Jundo's mind, but it seemed to me he was just reminding you of "the relative," as you seem to be stuck in the Absolute most of the time. Which in Zen has for a long time been considered a "disease," even though it's celebrated in other religions. I like Zen, and I am always grateful for the reminder to get my head out of the clouds.

I don't think anyone was expressing the belief that you never leave the house, or go for walks. Just that it might be a good idea to go for a walk by the river to clear your head when you've become intoxicated by the mountains. Because mountain-intoxication is still intoxication.

Just that you cling very tightly to Zen,
    and that old battered zafu you sit on.

Throw it all out the window,
    and go for a walk!
    lol!

Just my two cents.

Stephanie

I just meant that it was a lovely Spring day (I assume there too). A good day to turn off the computer and go outside.

I hope you did.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I just meant that it was a lovely Spring day (I assume there too).
    There I go with my concepts again... busted :lol:

Is this why my mother always told me to go outside and play?

Gassho _/_
    Besides the above I would add keeping yourself and your environment clean and going outside to play.

Hey all,

To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes someone telling you to go outside just means they think you might enjoy going outside...no agendas, no extra layered meaning. I think sometimes we all forget that in this practice where the most complex concepts can be devoid of any meaning and the seemingly insignificant can be profound...and none of us are immune to getting those mixed up from time to time.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hey all,

To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes someone telling you to go outside just means they think you might enjoy going outside...no agendas, no extra layered meaning. I think sometimes we all forget that in this practice where the most complex concepts can be devoid of any meaning and the seemingly insignificant can be profound...and none of us are immune to getting those mixed up from time to time.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by gakuse345
    Since there is nothing special about it, I don't think there is anywhere to go. But what I was originally thinking about was how Dogen using words inspires you to just be here. Dogen like a good friend keeps reminding me of the essentials. So I visit him once or twice a week at the Shobogenzo palace

None of this has to do with Jundo, or you, or me It has to do with practice. And specifically "my" practice. It is not so difficult to put yourself on a zafu. And it is not so difficult to learn from your experience if that's what you choose to do.

Anyway, I hope you have a good day. And, yes Jundo I might go outside.

Gassho

And, yes Jundo I might go outside.
    Happy Earth Day!

What is a word, but a word?
    B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

:twisted:

Gassho _/_
    I am not a robot, so I have no function. :P

DANGER! DANGER! YOUNG WILL! ZEN TALK AHEAD!
    :P

....and yes....human beings make other human beings....but it's always feels good emotionally to hug your mom. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    ....and yes....human beings make other human beings....but it's always feels good emotionally to hug your mom.

...or your cat :shock:

Attached files