Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chöd and other Buddhist approaches to practical demonkeeping

disastermouse

Re: Chöd and other Buddhist approaches to practical demonkeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    I suppose this may have been said a few times before but hey, an extra two cents can only add to the donation pile!

Coming from what limited experience I have I have to say it all depends on the person and how they "spice their soup" I suppose. Some like it fiery and lively, many herbs, spices, fancy techniques, some instruction from a master chef. Others prefer miso, simple, "easy" (I have yet to make a satisfactory batch despite the "simplicity"), and refined. My best advice? Don't mix your recipes, it probably won't taste very good. I tried the spicy soup, and found a simpler recipe was right for me. I wish you well in your cooking!
    Would you care to elaborate about what makes Chöd 'spicy' and Zen 'simple'?

To me, it seems it's two entirely different things - but I don't necessarily think they're mutually exclusive - especially something as trimmed down as 'Feeding Your Demons'. Full on Chöd, maybe - but not the way it's presented in FYD.

FYD is almost a purely 'psychological' practice. Shikantaza is most certainly not a psychological practice. I think the most important thing is to keep zazen primary and use any psychological practices as a way to develop the stability and basic sanity necessary to allow a genuine shikantaza practice. This may not seem as important to everyone...but from my own experience, I've learned that it's very necessary - and it can't really be taken for granted that everyone has sufficient stability or grounding. IMHO.

Chet

Re: Chöd and other Buddhist approaches to practical demonkeeping

When I spoke of spice I was referring to Tibetan Buddhism in general in that there's a lot of stuff! Many different deities, meditation techniques, bells, whistles, smells, robes, etc...

Not to say that Zen isn't complex but, for me, it's simpler IMHO.

I agree about the psychological business, it's very much about transformation in the Vajrayana - that's why they call it the fruitional vehicle (rather than the Mahayana which is referred to the vehicle of the path by Vajrayana practioners). Based on what little experience I have, they refer to it as "pure perception"; i.e. I am this deity, the world is its mandala, my speech its mantra, etc... Transformation of our already present conditions. It is rather Zen-ny, to me, because things are taken as they are (sort of).

But I'm an expert on nothing, just my perception :roll:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12