Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
I suppose this may have been said a few times before but hey, an extra two cents can only add to the donation pile!

Coming from what limited experience I have I have to say it all depends on the person and how they "spice their soup" I suppose. Some like it fiery and lively, many herbs, spices, fancy techniques, some instruction from a master chef. Others prefer miso, simple, "easy" (I have yet to make a satisfactory batch despite the "simplicity"), and refined. My best advice? Don't mix your recipes, it probably won't taste very good. I tried the spicy soup, and found a simpler recipe was right for me. I wish you well in your cooking!
Would you care to elaborate about what makes Chöd 'spicy' and Zen 'simple'?

To me, it seems it's two entirely different things - but I don't necessarily think they're mutually exclusive - especially something as trimmed down as 'Feeding Your Demons'. Full on Chöd, maybe - but not the way it's presented in FYD.

FYD is almost a purely 'psychological' practice. Shikantaza is most certainly not a psychological practice. I think the most important thing is to keep zazen primary and use any psychological practices as a way to develop the stability and basic sanity necessary to allow a genuine shikantaza practice. This may not seem as important to everyone...but from my own experience, I've learned that it's very necessary - and it can't really be taken for granted that everyone has sufficient stability or grounding. IMHO.

Chet