Thread: Kinhin in Dogen's teaching

Kinhin in Dogen's teaching

Hi everybody,

Here is an excellent article about Kinhin from Issho Fujita, very short and well worth reading:

http://www.meditationpathways.com/kinhin.htm

gassho

Taigu

Re: Kinhin in Dogen's teaching

Hi.

Good read.
    Thank you.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Thank you for the article, Taigu. Most interesting to read.

I thought about the following quote from the article:

People who practice this [kinhin], believe that the Buddha walked this way. In some of the scriptures there's a description of the Buddha walking slowly, and mindfully, in the woods after sitting.
    (My italics)

Do you (or anybody else for that matter) know in which scriptures this is mentioned? Would be cool to check it out!

Anyway, it's a good read. I especially liked the following;

We cannot sit forever. It's a bridge between sitting still, and moving in daily activity, and helps bring meditation into everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by anista

Do you (or anybody else for that matter) know in which scriptures this is mentioned? Would be cool to check it out!
    In Old Path White Clouds by Thich Nhat Hanh which is based on the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas, walking meditation is mentioned many times and using the appendix you can identify the sutras that each chapter is based on. In Buddhas day they walked a lot - when traveling, begging and meditating. The first chapter is titled 'Walking just to Walk' and I quote for example 'They walked with quiet dignity, observing each breath and each step'.

/Rich

hello all,

Thank you for this Taigu. I do alot of kinhin due to my back issues...wonderful!

Gassho,
    Kelly - Jinmei

Thank you Taigu. That along with your recent video was very helpful.

Gassho ~ Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by anista

In Old Path White Clouds by Thich Nhat Hanh which is based on the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas, walking meditation is mentioned many times and using the appendix you can identify the sutras that each chapter is based on. In Buddhas day they walked a lot - when traveling, begging and meditating. The first chapter is titled 'Walking just to Walk' and I quote for example 'They walked with quiet dignity, observing each breath and each step'.

/Rich
    Thanks Rich, I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Hi everybody,

Here is an excellent article about Kinhin from Issho Fujita, very short and well worth reading:

gassho

Taigu
    Does anyone have a working link to this? Or a pdf?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Hi everybody,

gassho

Taigu
    Does anyone have a working link to this? Or a pdf?
    I couldn't access it either?

Sorry,

I did try to find it again but could not...fleeting, coming and going. Internet is like everything elese.

gassho

Taigu

Doh! I got late to read it. They took it down.

Oh well... impermanence...

I think this is from the same article: http://myoanflute.blogspot.com/2010/01/kinhin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fuken
    I think this is from the same article: http://myoanflute.blogspot.com/2010/01/kinhin.html
    Thank you for the link.

I'm grateful to Jef Jones, the curator of that blog, not only for preserving the article on kinhin, but the vast archive of shakuhachi material he has collected there as well.

Thanks! Great article

We sit for fifty minutes, then do Kinhin for ten minutes-sitting walking, sitting.
    Wow! The longest for me were the 40 minute sits at a Zendo in California.

Gassho,
    John

I'm grateful to Jef Jones, the curator of that blog, not only for preserving the article on kinhin, but the vast archive of shakuhachi material he has collected there as well.
    Wow...so many great resources. Thank you again Fuken!

Yes, thanks for that.

Does anyone have a hound at home? Yesterday, after I had read that website and was walking my black & tan coonhound in a nearby woods, I realized I was watching his deeply aware "nose down tail up" practice. Seemed like a nice analogy for kinhin -- though the hound position itself doesn't work for me.

Thank you for that article.

Chris, we have 2 dogs; 1 is a hound mix. He looks like a small, black, great dane. According to tge shelter, he was from alitter of pups on an Alabama farm. He uses his nose a lot and he's really smart but edging on insane. Lol

I was confused about the description. The blog says one half step per breath. Then it says put the heel down on the inhale and then transfer weight to the toes on the exhale. (Is one step both the right and the left foot? I'm assuming one breath is comprised of both the inhale and the exhale.) Does anyone else understand my confusion? I am writing this from memory. Gassho, Grace.