There have been a few interesting post lately regarding the teacher student relationship, and some mentions of respect, that got me thinking about some confusion I have had regarding Buddhist titles.

At the end of the day a title may just be a silly name we give someone I suppose, but I came from a background where I was taught to always respect your teachers and elders. "Yes sir, No Mam, Please and thank you." Always calling elders Mr. or Mrs. (My Grandmother would fall over, if she could hear some kids today address their parents...."O.K. Carl" "Hey Linda!" "Yup." :roll: ) Times change I guess. I belive still in Sir, and Mam but that may be a whole topic by itself, anyway onto my actual Buddhisim question .

I have seen many titles used to describe various people in my very limited travels in books and here online, but being newbie, and a knucklehead from the U.S. I can't seem to make heads or tails of Japanese / Buddhist honorifics . I have tried looking things up, and only succeded to find general definitions, and origins, yet no real info on the structure or how it realates to position.

For example, and please excuse my ignorance but what makes a Roshi a Roshi? is a Zen Master the same / different? , Sensei? I have heard People close Jundo"s name with this. Rev. Taigu? Do these relate more to language as I have found similar meanings for multiple words or is it part of hierarchy or levels. I mean no dispesect at all to Jundo or Taigu so what do I call you! :roll: or perhaps a "Hey dude whats" up will suffice (just kidding). Seriously is there a more "proper" way to resectfully address you?

So if anyone could again perhaps help me sort it out and put into Knucklehead terms, or perhaps point me in the direction of the proper literature... Greatly appreciated, and thank you.
Respectfully yours.
~Dave.