Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Books! - GET EM' EARLY!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Books! - GET EM' EARLY!

... though there is nothing that can be GOT!

Hi Everyone,

Please allow me to announce our next selections for our Treeleaf Book Club ... and I hope folks will order them as delivery may take some time. We will begin them in the late Spring or early Summer, once we complete Master Dogen's Shobogenzo Zuimonki, which we are currently reading:

viewforum.php?f=2

Our next selection is actually two books that we will read together as one. The first is:

The Record of Transmitting the Light: Zen Master Keizan's Denkoroku, translated by Francis Cook

http://www.wisdompubs.org/pages/display ... n=&image=1

... and the second, highly recommended by Taigu, is actually a reflection on Cook's translation called:

Living Buddha Zen by Lex Hixon

http://larsonpublications.com/book-details.php?id=54

Here is a description of the Francis Cook translation of the "Denkoroku":

The Record of Transmitting the Light traces the inheritance of the Buddha's enlightenment through successive Buddhist masters. Written by a seminal figure in the Japanese Zen tradition, its significance as an historical and religious document is unquestionable. And ultimately, The Record of Transmitting the Light serves as a testament to the human capacity to awaken to a life of freedom, wisdom, and compassion. Readers of Zen will also find the introduction and translation by Francis Dojun Cook, the scholar whose insights brought Zen Master Dogen to life in How to Raise an Ox, of great value.

... The Record of Transmitting the Light is a work which many would rank alongside Dogen's Shobogenzo as a major classic of Japanese Soto Zen. This translation has played an important role in illuminating the Way for thousands of first-generation western students. Cook's skill and insight as a translator come from his well earned scholarly authority in the field of Buddhism, as well as by experiential authority obtained through many years of study as a Zen practitioner ...

... The Denkoroku is the record of great master Keizan's Zenji formal talks. It is a Zen text unsurpassed in expressing the great enlightenment of Shakyamuni Buddha and its transmission by fifty-two ancestors in India, China, and Japan. Along with the eminent Dogen's Zenji's Shobogenzo, the Denkoroku is the most revered patriarchal record of instructions in learning the Way.
    and of Lex Hixon's BEAUTIFUL reflections on that ...

Living Buddha Zen recreates 52 such ineffable moments, 52 “transmissions of the light” —from Shakyamuni Buddha continuously from master to successor. Hixon follows the original awakening impulse through India and China to the flowering of Soto Zen in Japan . . . and to his vision of how this same light circulates in the world today.

This is Lex’s final book, meticulously polished to his satisfaction in the months before his passing on. It is a modern re-creation, not a translation—in language that is fresh and alive—of the classic Japanese Denkoroku: The Record of Transmitting the Light.
    In addition to the links above, here is a GREAT resource for used and new copies, which quotes the price in international currency including international postal rates (helpful for those outside the U.S. like me)

http://www.bookfinder.com/

I would also invest in the stock of those publishing companies, because when our bookclub recommends something ... SALES GO THROUGH THE ROOF! 8)

Gassho, J

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Books! - GET EM' EARLY!

Looking forward to it!

ORDERED!! :mrgreen:

imdreaming

I just finished Denkoroku last week (Cleary translation). I am happy to reread with group.

Ordered, Looking forward to the read.
    Thanks Jundo.

Looks like excellent selections and ordered!

Yes folks, if you have your heart at the right place, then please read Lex Hixon s book. He comes from the Sufi tradition and was given Dharma transmission by Glassman roshi a few years before he died. If your heart is dry and enjoys quarelling, then read it, it is a good medecine. Not the cup of tea of teenage Zen followers and other modern arguing students...It would be an amazing eye opener though.

I will be commenting on Lex s text quite a lot.

gassho

Taigu

...and ordered!

/me pulls head from outta ... the sand ops:

Thank you for pointing these out! Ordered.

Gassho
    Shohei

Books ordered...

JohnH

Ordered. This time I'll try not to leave any in hotel rooms.

Me too.

The books are ordered.
    Gassho zak

I'll see if my local book shop can get copies for me - it's a hard time for them here in Ireland, one of the largest ones went into liquidation last week. We only have a small one here in Wicklow but it has a fantastic range considering its size - and the owner seems to have read everything.

On its way!

Hello all,

I'm on board...ordered!

Kelly-Jinmei

Looking forward to learning more about Buddhism.
    /Rich

Hi everyone,

I'm on board, too. Both books have been ordered.

Gassho, Jikyo

Hi

I ordered the books, looking forward to be part of the readers club !

Gassho

Joris

books arrived yesterday o/

Gassho
    Shohei

Ordered, along with Cosmos in a Carrot--Zen guide to eating well, thrown in just for fun. Ann

Books have arrived and am looking forward to the readings.
    gassho
    T

Nice. Looking forward to it!

Ordered, so count me in!

Janne

Local book shop came up trumps, books arrived today despite ash cloud delays.
    Michael

Have ordered mine and am looking forward to participating in the reading and discussions.

Ordered, delivered, patiently waiting to read with the group.....................

Are we there yet? :mrgreen:

I am thinking that we should take the time to finish the end of Shobogenzo-Zuimonki ... which will take about 3 more weeks there.

viewforum.php?f=2

Or should we dive into the new books?

Any feelings on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I am thinking that we should take the time to finish the end of Shobogenzo-Zuimonki ... which will take about 3 more weeks there.

viewforum.php?f=2

Or should we dive into the new books?

Any feelings on that?
    I have been behind on S-Z, but am catching up and would like to close out that before starting the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    I have been behind on S-Z, but am catching up and would like to close out that before starting the next one.
    I agree...I have a bad habit of starting two or more books and taking forever to finish. Thus, I would vote finish up then move on.....even if we do a "power read" to finish up.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Mine showed up today, and I am looking forward to the new reading, but I have to agree that the S-Z should be finished first. No use overdoing it. Besides, I think I have another half dozen books that I am reading. Mindfulness never seems to reach into my reading habits...

I just joined Treeleaf Zendo yesterday, ordered my books today - hopefully they will get here quickly - I paid as much for expedited shipping as I did for the books :shock:

Looking forward to it!

Craig

F.A.O Monkton

Hi there. If you have trouble getting any books I'd recommend wisdom-books.com in England. I'm sure they'll post out to Ireland. They are good value too..if you see the book elsewhere for cheaper then negotiate (doesn't always work but the chaps are willing to discuss price- I guess if you become a regular customer then they might be even more so- don't say I said tho :wink: ). The telephone number is on the website and Lee is the chap I talk to. HTH.

Best wishes

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Not the cup of tea of teenage Zen followers and other modern arguing students...It would be an amazing eye opener though.

Hey hey hey!!! :lol: "Wisdom knows no age" 8)

No offense taken lol

Taylor

I just received my books in the mail. I assume there will be an announcement when the next book club is starting? Should I look for that in the Zazen topics (where this announcment was), or in the book club topic?

Gassho,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigfromAz
    I just received my books in the mail. I assume there will be an announcement when the next book club is starting? Should I look for that in the Zazen topics (where this announcment was), or in the book club topic?

Gassho,

Craig
    Hi Craig,

There will be a prominent announcement somewhere. I am feeling that we should take a break for a week as we just finished our readings in the Zuimonki ... and maybe start June 11th. We'll start things off then.

Gassho, J

Before I order these, any news of the forthcoming jukai & precepts study book(s), I ordered last week R. Aitkin's book figuring it would be worthwhile anyway.

gassho,

Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Before I order these, any news of the forthcoming jukai & precepts study book(s), I ordered last week R. Aitkin's book figuring it would be worthwhile anyway.

gassho,

Sylvie
    Probably, it will be the same as last year. I will know by July if we will change (small possibility). The book we have used for two years is a good book, even if we do not use it this year. Robert Aitken Roshi's, THE MIND OF CLOVER. It is a beautiful examination of the Precepts and Buddhist ethics.

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Clover-Essay ... 059&sr=8-1

Thank you for your patience.

Gassho, J

Talk about "the skin of your teeth"; I just ordered these books. I had to search for some rock bottom bargain priced copies, and found them on eBay. Hopefully they will be here by the time we begin.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

I would love to join in with the book club this time! I will try to get the books before it starts, but I may not be able to get both right away. would it be ok if i caught up a little with one of them once i get it?

Gassho,
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyW
    I would love to join in with the book club this time! I will try to get the books before it starts, but I may not be able to get both right away. would it be ok if i caught up a little with one of them once i get it?

Gassho,
    Corey
    Hi,

It seems that at least some of both books is available for reading on-line. I am not sure if all the pages are there (it looks like at least the first chapters are there in large part), but it should help a little until books arrive ...

The Record of Transmitting the Light: Zen Master Keizan's Denkoroku
    By Keizan, Francis Dojun Cook, Francis Harold Cook

http://books.google.com/books?id=hyMGrW ... &q&f=false

Living Buddha Zen By Lex Hixon
    http://www.amazon.com/Living-Buddha-Zen ... 0943914752

And, of course, there is no place to get to ... nothing to catch up. Just this page and the page, this phrase and this phrase, this word and this word ... and always the open space of the page that lets the words be shine out.

Just ordered one of the books, hopefully it will get here on time. Couldn't afford both though, but I will try and join in where I can.

Just ordered the books online. Should get them before next Friday. That is when the next book club kicks off, isn't it?
    Gassho,
    Soen

Thanks for your post Jundo. I will have to read from those links for the time being. I am so excited to start reading these works; and i feel reading these will help me become more regular with my sitting too.

Gassho,
    Corey

Books have arrived! That was quick. Wall between intention (order books) and outcome (books arrive) has collapsed. Is this a side-effect of zazen. Hold on! Why am I levitating?

Just want to recommend a well stocked online bookstore which is often much cheaper than Amazon and offer FREE DELIVERY WORLDWIDE :

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/?a_aid= ... ZwodvREAFA

gassho,

Sylvie

I ordered one of the books on the list from the Book depository, but found out today, five days after I ordered it, that the order had been cancelled. Apparently the book was sold out, and it took them a that long to find that out.

Well well, guess I just have to try and order it from somewhere else, but I doubt I will find it as cheap. We'll see if I manage to get it for the book club, if at all.

ordered one of the books on the list from the Book depository, but found out today, five days after I ordered it, that the order had been cancelled. Apparently the book was sold out, and it took them a that long to find that out.
    Anista that's a shame...
    I received Living Buddha Zen yesterday and the other I checked has been dispatched and should arrive tomorrow, I hope! Was the latter the one they'd sold out on?
    Iv'e never had a problem before with them.

Try amazon.uk :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Transmit ... 570&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Buddha-Z ... 91&sr=1-10
    I'm sure a solution will appear,
    gassho

Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Anista that's a shame...
    I received Living Buddha Zen yesterday and the other I checked has been dispatched and should arrive tomorrow, I hope! Was the latter the one they'd sold out on?
    Iv'e never had a problem before with them.
    Hello Sylvie,

Yep, the other one, The Record of Transmitting the Light, was sold out.

I'm sure I will get hold of the books from somewhere.

Gassho, Philip