Thread: giving

giving

I would like to add to what Jundo has to say about giving. I bumped recently on statements in various forums and on youtube of people saying for instance :

Hi and i have checked out Treeleaf and i have to say its a good place to read life's questions and problems from all walks of life... and thank goodness its free.
    there are other sites with links on you tube and in the end, it comes down to money for help.
    i dont like it when its money involved, because really, would buddha charge? money for his words of help?
    Jundo is giving most of his time to this sangha, serving the community and making it possible. It does not come free. I am working very hard and give a lot of my time to Treeleaf for free. I find this kind of statement above insulting the Three Jewels. Even Buddha need to make a living. He-she needs food in the bowl. This teaching is NOT FREE. If you really practice without the mind of a thief or a fox, then you will have to loose big deal. Loose money, loose beliefs and habits, loose cherished thoughts and give, give, give yourself away. Your dollars and euros should go to help people, but that is easy, hands on is the way. If you think you can get cheap Dharma, second hand teachings, or bargains, then that's exactly what you will get. For what is really priceless, you have to pay the price. If you are serious about your practice, then, please wake up to people around you needing help. If not, you are just behaving like a spiritual materialist or a very sad opportunist. Why don't you let compassion meet wisdom? Prajna by itself is dry and useless. Reflect on this, please.

gassho

Taigu

Re: giving

Hi.

I second what Jundo And Taigu are saying.
    Remember every cost is not merely measured in money.
    Respect that, and you will respect The buddha (teacher), the Dharma (teaching) and the Sangha (the community), for they are not separate.

"When you learn, teach, when you get, give."
    - Maya Angelou

“You get what you give. What you put into things is what you get out of them.”
    -Jennifer Lopez

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    If you are serious about your practice, then, please wake up to people around you needing help. If not, you are just behaving like a spiritual materialist or a very sad opportunist. Why don't you let compassion meet wisdom? Prajna by itself is dry and useless. Reflect on this, please.

gassho

Taigu
    Love the one you are with.
    /Rich

Agreed and Thank you

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you for this Tiagu. Gassho Kent

Thank you Taigu and Jundo for bringing this up. And thank you for all your efforts on behalf of Treeleaf and all sentient beings.

Gassho, Jikyo

I know I'm new here and don't feel like the time is ripe for posting, but...

This teaching of giving is just what I need to hear so soon after joining Treeleaf. I spend so much time sitting in the comfort of my own home with a book about the Dharma in my lap, while there are real needs all around me. For instance[*]and this makes my "self" want to run and hide, it likes to look soo spiritual[*] I have a grandmother I haven't seen in two years because nursing homes scare the air out of me. She's only a few miles away. I just have a hard time facing all the suffering there. I feel like this would be a good first step. Thanks!

Gassho,
    Greg

Hi Creg,

That is Dharma at its best. Forget about books and Buddhism. When practiced, Buddhism fades away.You go to places that scare you. You start small. Nothing fancy or big. Go and visit this gandmother of yours. Feel no guilt or remorse. Just do what needs to be done, even if it is not easy. Be with her. You don't need to do anything special. Just be, be with her-you-nursing home, be with the reality of there and then. Stay with it. Bring along something she likes. Take her hand and with that hand you take , you take all hands.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you Taigu sama for these down to earth but really precious advices!

Gassho to all beings,
    Luis/Jinyu

Hi Taigu
    It's so easy to send a check and feel good about yourself, doing the right thing, when rolling up your sleeves and doing is much more difficult. (In addition, I still don't underestimate the power of well placed monetary gifts that accomplish worthy deeds). I truly feel works of charity start right where you stand and work outward eventually encompassing the ills of all humanity. Thanks for the teaching. Gassho Shogen