Thread: Zen Buddhism in three easy steps

Zen Buddhism in three easy steps

Forget the ten ox herding pictures. Ten is way to many for today's modern busy body-mind. No, come hear how to do Zen Buddism in just three, that's right, THREE easy steps. Okay? Ready for the quick and easy road to personal enlightenment? Read on!!!!!!!

Step 1:Understand that the brain, what we call our mind, is in the business of generating thoughts.

Step 2: Instead of generating thoughts, train your mind via zazen to watch thoughts. So, instead of being a thought generator you become a thought watcher.

Step 3: Drop the watcher.

At the conclusion of step 3 you will experience emptiness!

Call now for personal instruction and spiritual guidance through this "easy" three step process. And if you call in the next ten minutes you will get FREE the added bonus of Tibetan Buddhism in five easy steps (it is a bit more complicated). Operators are standing by.

Paypal gladly accepted.

Void where prohibited by law.

:twisted:

Re: Zen Buddhism in three easy steps

you forgot step 4!

Step 4 - Profit!
    :mrgreen:

I have heard of Zen in one easy step (off a hundred foot pole) ... and in 'not two' steps ... and "like the foot before and the foot behind in walking" steps ...

All the same really. :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I have heard of Zen in one easy step (off a hundred foot pole) ... and in 'not two' steps ... and "like the foot before and the foot behind in walking" steps ...

All the same really. :twisted:
    Consumers, don't be fooled by imitators with quick enlightenment schemes. JundoCorp offers a one-step process off a 100-foot pole. Clearly, there is a product safety hazard here! And JundoCorp's NOT two step process? What is that? Not-two? Sounds like fraud to me.

No, there is only one TRUE way to Zen Buddhist peace and enlightenment, and that way can be yours!

No credit, no problem. We offer easy payment plans.

Due to consumer demand, sale prices on my patented three-step process have been extended. And, if you buy one three step method you get a patch of Pure Land Buddhism free. Yes, that's right, your own patch of Pure land FREE!

(Oh, and just to be fair, JundoCorp's insta-zazen is a fine product)

:roll:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    Consumers, don't be fooled by imitators with quick enlightenment schemes. JundoCorp offers a one-step process off a 100-foot pole. Clearly, there is a product safety hazard here!
    I hoid that the Jundo guy is adding now the Slap Chop to his product. Sh....foggetaboutit!
    :mrgreen:

Before i buy, i've got a few questions......

If I'm no longer generating these thoughts, whose thoughts am i watching? I mean, am I going to get arrested for being an esoteric "peeping Tom"?

And what guarantees does your company have on the rate of return of your product? How can I be sure that the whole time I'm waiting for my karma check, you haven't already "Madoff" (pun intended) with my enlightenment and are watching the thoughts of some coconut clad Polynesian girl???

What? Huh? I'm sorry, my mind is too busy generating thoughts of coconut clad polynesian girls :shock:

disastermouse

What? Huh? I'm sorry, my mind is too busy generating thoughts of coconut clad polynesian girls :shock:
    And mine has progressed to un-clad polynesian girls...

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    And mine has progressed to un-clad polynesian girls...

Chet
    Yes, and they are having dreams of this ...

viewtopic.php?p=31644#p31644

:roll:

Okay, enough with the girls already. On with the questions:

If I'm no longer generating these thoughts, whose thoughts am i watching?
    I didn't say you stopped generating thoughts in step 2, just that you can train yourself (whatever that is) to start watching the thoughts that you generate. As for watching someone else's thoughts, apparently Jundo was watching those polynesian girls'. I'm thinking how to watch someone else's thoughts could be a whole new product line.

And what guarantees does your company have on the rate of return of your product?
    There are no guarantees. Buyer beware. I can only sell you on the process, the results you get are up to you. But psst, let me tell you a secret... the key ingredient to make the whole thing work is faith. Faith in the process, faith in yourself, faith in Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. Yup, that's all there is to it.

There are no guarantees. Buyer beware. I can only sell you on the process, the results you get are up to you. But psst, let me tell you a secret... the key ingredient to make the whole thing work is faith. Faith in the process, faith in yourself, faith in Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. Yup, that's all there is to it.
    No loss, no gain. This product adds nothing to your life, nor takes anything away. It does not clean mirrors, because there is not place for dust to alight. It keeps polishing nonetheless.

A lifetime guarantee. But if we get it wrong, there may be endless "returns" in lifetimes to come. :?

Wow, that's a great deal! Sign me up!

BTW, I have a deal on a water spanning structure in a borough of New York City that just might be deeply discounted....but only if you act now!

Operators are not standing by as they are currently sitting in very nice office chairs.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Feeling tired.
    Not feeling like your old self.
    Not enough pep in that zafu.

You need:

BuddhaJuice!

It will keep your erect for hours.....in your zafu...that is.

LOL :lol:

Just to clarify, the "easy" three step process is guaranteed. It has a lifetime guarantee, as Jundo said. But your results with that process are not guaranteed, because you have to become part of the process. You get into it what you get out of it. So you need to have courage and take action within that process over time.

This thread is hilarious!

I like the thought that "it keeps polishing nothingness" That's one of the reasons I find Soto Zen so powerful, is that it is an amazing path to nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCM
    I like the thought that "it keeps polishing nothingness" That's one of the reasons I find Soto Zen so powerful, is that it is an amazing path to nothingness.
    Nothingness is not nothing (although neither is it necessarily to be called "something The Void is not a void. Emptyness is not empty.

Gassho, Jundo

(Does that mean "Free Refills"? Two for the price of One? )

disastermouse

Nothingness is not nothing (although neither is it necessarily to be called "something The Void is not a void. Emptyness is not empty.

Gassho, Jundo

Emptiness is surprisingly 'full'.

Chet

Gassho, Jundo

Emptiness is surprisingly 'full'.

Chet
    That is why I am turning more and more to the "Dance" image for some feeling of "Emptiness" ... all of reality engaged and engaging in one great modern jazz, non-stop, powerful dance ... dancers and all reality just absorbed in the constant motion of the Dance so that no distinction of dancers and dance remains (I mean, there are dancers, but really also not and there is just the dancing) ...coming from where? going where? ... but just this step and this step and this leap and this fall ...

But where is "it", this thing you call a "dance"? It is just an ongoing swirl ... just dance dancing the dance ... nothing to "nail down" ... There is not a "thing" there, only the constant swirling and twirling and naked interconnected motion and expression .. all fully exerting ...

Dancers dancing each for themselves, sometimes bumping into other dancers, tripping on their own feet ... yet sometimes able to see beyond themselves to the great harmony of the total Dance ...

We feel as dancers in a dance, across a stage we run,

each dancer dancing solo, our connection nearly none.

But when our steps are flowing, as leaves in wind a’frenzy spun,

it’s not hard to see that dancers, stage and dance are truly One.

It is free, yet it is not chaos. There may be some rules to the dance, some choreography ... but much of it seems up to us how we choose to go. LIFE DANCE!

Lose your self in that, lose your "self" in that great Dancing which is your Self Dancing. It's going is your going.

So, everyone, just dance your dance.

"Emptiness" or the "Void" is something like that perhaps ...

Anyway ... our "Zen Buddhism in three 'easy' steps" must include these dance steps.

Gassho, J

Aha! Yet another three-step plan: the cha cha cha

Allow me to better explain what I meant. If I understand the basic principals of Zen ( a lofty undertaking, to be sure ) then I understand it to be along these lines:

Zen is emptiness, but only so far as that emptiness can be called "the space between" things and attachments. Much like the empty space inside a room with nothing in it. It is defined only by the walls, ceiling and floor. Without those walls (which could be said to be like the walls we put up in our mind made out of attachments, conceptions, etc.) that 'space between' them wouldn't be held back by anything, and would actually encompass everything, which is the natural state of that 'space' in the first place. In that way Zen is emptiness, but since that same space is actually found between every thing we can conceive, Zen is also everything.

I could be off a little, like my profile shows I'm still a little young here, but I look forward to hearing everyone's responses and deepening my understanding of the Way.

Gassho,

Christopher.

Allow me to better explain what I meant. If I understand the basic principals of Zen ( a lofty undertaking, to be sure ) then I understand it to be along these lines:

Zen is emptiness, but only so far as that emptiness can be called "the space between" things and attachments. Much like the empty space inside a room with nothing in it. It is defined only by the walls, ceiling and floor. Without those walls (which could be said to be like the walls we put up in our mind made out of attachments, conceptions, etc.) that 'space between' them wouldn't be held back by anything, and would actually encompass everything, which is the natural state of that 'space' in the first place. In that way Zen is emptiness, but since that same space is actually found between every thing we can conceive, Zen is also everything.

I could be off a little, like my profile shows I'm still a little young here, but I look forward to hearing everyone's responses and deepening my understanding of the Way.

Gassho,

Christopher.
    I suggest you put the question off for now, do not approach these things so intellectually. Just sit with it all. Maybe you will come to see the walls and doors, ceiling and floor, you too soften and dance with each other ... that may help ...

In the meantime ... TAKE THIS PRACTICE IN SMALL, EASY STEP BY STEPS!

NO PLACE TO GET TO, BUT STEP BY STEP.

I can see where my approach could be a bit of a speed bump, so I will take your advice to heart. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Christopher

You (J) seem to be on the right track, counting your breaths as you sit, what is happening between the time you loose count and the time you realize you lost count?

disastermouse

Gassho,

Christopher.
    Way too much intellectualizing, Chris. Even the floor and walls are empty. Emptiness all the way down, although it feels differently when you smack your shin against the 'emptiness' of the table. What is that pain? Also empty.

Chet

Christopher, your mind is generating thoughts of emptiness. Watch out for that by just sitting with those thoughts, just watching them. Those thoughts, and everything else, will drop in time. Give the process time..............

............. and let me take this time to announce a cosponsorship deal we have just made with the makers of Buddha Juice. Now, instead of operators standing by, they are sitting on their zafus drinking Buddha Juice while waiting for your calls. Very peaceful, very profitable... in the spiritual sen$e, I mean :roll:

disastermouse

Christopher, your mind is generating thoughts of emptiness. Watch out for that by just sitting with it. Everything will drop in time. Give the process time..............
    I just want to add that this 'dropping' can sometimes be facilitated by a thorough inquiry into your actual physical sensations as you, say, press your hand against a wall. Where exactly in the sensations is anything that could be called a 'wall'? Where exactly is the point of separation between that which you call 'me' and that which you call 'wall'? Strangely, no such points can be found. Noticing this can have a powerfully quieting effect on the 'know-it-all' mind....but usually not for long unless you repeat the innocent experiment again without the mind appropriating whatever story you tell about 'no me-no wall' as 'something I know'.

Chet

One thing about intellectualizing "emptiness" that I have seen (and you are warned by teachers) is that it often leads to a type of nihilism.

Everything is empty so **** it! There is no meaning. Life is meaningless. Etc.
    I seen severe depressive folks go on the wrong direction on this while studying Buddhist meditation. :wink:

So. Sloooow down on the "emptiness" juice. :P :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    One thing about intellectualizing "emptiness" that I have seen (and you are warned by teachers) is that it often leads to a type of nihilism.

Everything is empty so **** it! There is no meaning. Life is meaningless. Etc.
    I seen severe depressive folks go on the wrong direction on this while studying Buddhist meditation. :wink:

So. Sloooow down on the "emptiness" juice. :P :mrgreen:
    It is sometimes a sad dance, sometimes a happy dance ... but at heart, there is a JOYOUS DANCE OF LIFE.

Nishijima Roshi and many teachers often say that Buddhism is not a negative philosophy (which some folks sometimes think, because we are always going on about how "life is suffering" and "birth and death" and all that) ... nor is it nihilistic, neutral, meaningless or empty ... but is quite JOYOUS, OPTIMISTIC, POSITIVE, GLAD TO BE ALIVE at heart.

"Emptyness" is freeing! A dance.

I like Jundo s take on this. After many years of practice, I find it very hard to speak about emptiness. I am amazed and amused at all this empty chatting coming from young sitters. The know-it-all mind also operates in the field of Buddhist philosophy. It reminds me a very arrogant and stinky young French monk understanding it all not so long ago...

Sit and leave emptiness to itself, or its non self.

Please, Be humble.

Bow. Sit.Bow.

gassho

Taigu

It is sometimes a sad dance, sometimes a happy dance ... but at heart, there is a JOYOUS DANCE OF LIFE.

Nishijima Roshi and many teachers often say that Buddhism is not a negative philosophy (which some folks sometimes think, because we are always going on about how "life is suffering" and "birth and death" and all that) ... nor is it nihilistic, neutral, meaningless or empty ... but is quite JOYOUS, OPTIMISTIC, POSITIVE, GLAD TO BE ALIVE at heart.

"Emptyness" is freeing! A dance.
    I hear ya. But. When I hear new folks coming to Buddhism. Reading and learning about Buddhism and Sunyata. Is like seeing a train moving a long the tracks of thought heading to a fallen bridge. Seeing this as it develops while they talk about it, I have had to shut off the emptiness juice.

The idea of emptiness can be a lonely thought, but I think that as long as you have a good teacher and a good sangha, you can avoid the depressive and destructive path this thinking can take you down. I often have trouble "non-intelectualizing" (not sure if that's a word) things, because I prided myself on my intellect for a long time. Now, though, I realized that something was missing, and that something was that I was looking at the world with blinders on. I sort of came to the realization that I was trying to fit everything into tidy little catagories, even if they didn't want to fit there. That's when I started reading about Buddhism and I came to understand that the world is perfectly fine the way it really is, and that I needed to stop trying to make it what I wanted it to be.

I guess you could say that I was trying to know everything, but I only really felt like I understood anything when I stopped learning about anything, and started experiencing "nothing". I'm starting to realize that the way I was trying to do things was just creating noise, like Jundo's lesson with the blender. Now I'm trying to shut the blender off, and just be.

Of course, with the blender off, I can't mix my Buddha Juice............

Now I'm trying to shut the blender off, and just be.
    Related to the other post on the other thread about peace and joy ...

viewtopic.php?p=31993#p31993

... part of this practice is to learn to hear the "silence" even when the blender is on, even when it is off. Don't think it is about "always" having the blender off. When you can hear silence and peace only in quiet, still moments ... well, that is a good start.

When you can hear the noisy, grating blender of thoughts/emotions as both grating/noisy and silent/peaceful simultaneously ... you are doing well.

And when you can be silent/peaceful even when you don't feel silent/peaceful at all, and just in those moments you feel only grating/noisy ... even better! :shock:

If we had the blender "off" all the time, we would never get life's milkshake made!

I will talk something about this in the sit-a-long on Wednesday about "Bonnos"

Gassho, Jundo

What a wonderful thread (I've been working/traveling so I haven't been able to check in recently).

Dance ... yes indeed. How could I add more?

Hi.

This reminds me of the example of music.
    Would there be "sweet music" without "silence/nothing" between the notes?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

When you can hear the noisy, grating blender of thoughts/emotions as both grating/noisy and silent/peaceful simultaneously ... you are doing well.

And when you can be silent/peaceful even when you don't feel silent/peaceful at all, and just in those moments you feel only grating/noisy ... even better!
    Getting Zen headache........need Buddha Juice.......... :shock:

I get what you're saying, I think. It sounds like you're saying its like finding the diamond in the rough, so to speak. Everything has an aspect of perfection, even when it isn't perfect.

It just sort of hit me that what I just said wasn't all together accurate. I think that it's like finding the diamond in the rough and realizing that the rough and the diamond are really one and the same, if that makes sense. You can't have one with out the other, and you can't have "One" without both. :idea:

It just sort of hit me that what I just said wasn't all together accurate. I think that it's like finding the diamond in the rough and realizing that the rough and the diamond are really one and the same, if that makes sense. You can't have one with out the other, and you can't have "One" without both. :idea:
    That truly is better than your first comment ... but sit more, think about it less.

It is more a feeling about stuff than an idea about.

Thank you, Jundo, I will do as you suggest.

And on that note, it's time to market my own product……..

Zazen-ol.

Do you get a headache trying to understand how one is everything and nothing at the same time? Does the thought that emptiness is full, fullness is empty, void is never devoid and that we are the world cause a familiar tightening sensation behind the eyes? Do you sometimes feel dizzy trying to understand how imperfection is perfect, and that you have to stop searching in order to find?

Try Zazen-ol. The active ingredient in Zazen-ol is shikantaza, and regular use has shown improvement among users with Frequent Zen Headache Syndrome (FZHS). Recommended initial loading dose is 1 minute for every 10 pounds of body weight, once per day. Individuals will be able to adjust the dose based on their tolerance. Prolonged use of Zazen-ol is recommended, and frequently leads to periods of peaceful contemplation, and improved feelings of "Oneness".

Please do not take Zazen-ol with Buddha Juice, as common side effects include uncontrollable gas, and a reduction of invitations to sit with others in the zendo.

Operators are neither sitting nor standing by, they are lying on their sides because the union says they are contractually guaranteed a 1 hour “rest and relaxation” period……..

"Will you walk a little faster?"said the whiting to the snail
    "There''s a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.
    See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!
    They are waiting on the shingles - will you come and join the dance?
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you will you join the dance?
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you won't you join the dance?

"You can really have no notion how delightful it will be
    When they take usup and throw us with the lobsters, out to sea!"
    But the snail replied - "Too far, too far!" and gave a look askance -
    Said he thanked the whiting kindly, but he would not join the dance.
    Would not, could not, would not, could not, would not join the dance
    Would not, could not, would not, could nor, could not join the dance.

"What matter it how far we go?" his scaly friend replied
    "There is another shore, you know, upon the other side.
    The further off from England the nearer is to France -
    The turn not pale, beloved snail but come and join the dance."
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?

The Lobster-Quadrille by Lewis Carroll

Makes me wonder if Lewis Carroll might not have been and early English Zen Master??????

Gassho,

Kyrill/Seishin

disastermouse

And when you can be silent/peaceful even when you don't feel silent/peaceful at all, and just in those moments you feel only grating/noisy ... even better!
    Getting Zen headache........need Buddha Juice.......... :shock:

I get what you're saying, I think. It sounds like you're saying its like finding the diamond in the rough, so to speak. Everything has an aspect of perfection, even when it isn't perfect.
    No, everything IS perfection and 'imperfection' is merely one of its perfect aspects. Seriously.

Chet

Chet,

Thanks for being so interactive with me over the past few days, I've really enjoyed reading your take on the things I've said. This is why I am so glad I was lucky enough to find Treeleaf. I think by talking with others who've had more experience with the Way, it will help me along on the path. Thanks again.

No, everything IS perfection and 'imperfection' is merely one of its perfect aspects. Seriously.

Chet
    I think this "perfect" moment for the very "imperfect" advice to, please, just sit Zazen ... dropping all thoughts of "perfection" and "imperfection".

Taste that. What's then?

Do the stones suffer an inferiority complex compared to the trees?

Gassho, Jundo

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.

A great thread, thank you Alan and all.

The references to the dance brought Eliot's Burnt Norton to mind:

"At the still point of the turning world. Neither flesh nor fleshless;
    Neither from nor towards; at the still point, there the dance is,
    But neither arrest nor movement. And do not call it fixity,
    Where past and future are gathered. Neither movement from nor towards,
    Neither ascent nor decline. Except for the point, the still point,
    There would be no dance, and there is only the dance".

Gassho

Martin

Now, guys, look at it...
    let emptiness be. Sit. And let it rock.
    Try to figure it out... Big miss.
    Forget it. Forget it. Forget it.
    That is dance.

gassho

Taigu