Thread: The Virtue of Dana (Giving Generosity)

Threaded View

The Virtue of Dana (Giving Generosity)

THIS IS A VERY GOOD TIME TO REMIND FOLKS THAT PARTICIPATION IN TREELEAF SANGHA IS NOT FREE, BUT COMES WITH A VERY STEEP PRICE. FOR THOSE WITH THE TIME AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES (EVEN A POOR MAN CAN GIVE A BROKEN COOKING POT) WE HAVE TO GET OUT AND ROLL UP OUR SLEEVES, GIVE UNTIL IT HURTS A BIT. Please review the following on Samu and Dana at Treeleaf

I do not generally accept any "Dana" financial contributions for Treeleaf, as we have sufficient resources for what we are doing. However, I do ask (strongly) people to make financial donations in lieu to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, finding a cure for a disease. In fact, it is truly a part of Practice, one of the great Virtues of a Bodhisattva.

What, you thought Treeleaf was a free service? It is a "freeing" service, but not free.

The same with "Samu" (daily work practice) ...

Samu is vital to Practice. In fact, Samu --IS-- "working Zazen"!

I have not been too insistent on people doing "Samu" work practice at Treeleaf, but I think I should crack the whip a little from time to time. If someone will do community volunteer work, preferably, it should be hands on actually helping people in need like the sick or elderly or kids in need (not just folding envelopes) However, for those already loaded with work and family obligations, an intentional commitment to non-do some of those activities is "Samu" practice. That is fine (nurturing children and family is a Bodhisattva's work, and enough if that is truly all you have time for). But if you can get out, and have the time, work in the community is a wonderful road.

Both donations and Samu work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt. In fact, it is even good to choose a volunteer activity that you resist ... hands on work with the sick, the abused or suffering.
    This is not only true at times when there are particularly sad stories in the news like now.

Gassho, and I mean it, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.