Thread: The Virtue of Dana (Giving Generosity)

The Virtue of Dana (Giving Generosity)

THIS IS A VERY GOOD TIME TO REMIND FOLKS THAT PARTICIPATION IN TREELEAF SANGHA IS NOT FREE, BUT COMES WITH A VERY STEEP PRICE. FOR THOSE WITH THE TIME AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES (EVEN A POOR MAN CAN GIVE A BROKEN COOKING POT) WE HAVE TO GET OUT AND ROLL UP OUR SLEEVES, GIVE UNTIL IT HURTS A BIT. Please review the following on Samu and Dana at Treeleaf

I do not generally accept any "Dana" financial contributions for Treeleaf, as we have sufficient resources for what we are doing. However, I do ask (strongly) people to make financial donations in lieu to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, finding a cure for a disease. In fact, it is truly a part of Practice, one of the great Virtues of a Bodhisattva.

What, you thought Treeleaf was a free service? It is a "freeing" service, but not free.

The same with "Samu" (daily work practice) ...

Samu is vital to Practice. In fact, Samu --IS-- "working Zazen"!

I have not been too insistent on people doing "Samu" work practice at Treeleaf, but I think I should crack the whip a little from time to time. If someone will do community volunteer work, preferably, it should be hands on actually helping people in need like the sick or elderly or kids in need (not just folding envelopes) However, for those already loaded with work and family obligations, an intentional commitment to non-do some of those activities is "Samu" practice. That is fine (nurturing children and family is a Bodhisattva's work, and enough if that is truly all you have time for). But if you can get out, and have the time, work in the community is a wonderful road.

Both donations and Samu work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt. In fact, it is even good to choose a volunteer activity that you resist ... hands on work with the sick, the abused or suffering.
    This is not only true at times when there are particularly sad stories in the news like now.

Gassho, and I mean it, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.

What a great reminder!! My friend is planting a garden for the food bank, this summer, and I want to give back by helping her.

Thank you Emmy.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo ... I spoke about this before and the time is coming closer. When my dog Bodhi and I went a spent time with my Granny in the sad place she is living now with others suffering with medical and psychology issues ... I felt I needed to do something to bring more smiles to their faces.

So I looked into getting Canine Compassion Training through Saint Johns Ambulance. I had to work on a couple things with Bodhi being that he is still young, but we have succeed and will be moving onto formal training.

My goalless goal when we are done training, is to visit the hospital, hospice, and retirement homes with Bodhi and bring a little joy into their lives. For me, this direct action has a profound impact ... I will keep you posted on the progress of the training.

Gassho
    Shingen

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?
    ~ Dogen Zenji

Hello everyone,

I felt glad upon reading this post. (Thank you for exhorting us Jundo.) I try to maintain a "Dana" mentality. If you were to ask my family back home, they might say I'm a fool who gives money to strangers overseas . That may be partly true, but I find that once you get to know people and about some of their struggles, then they're no longer strangers (Internet has opened up opportunities for Dana, too). It's practically ingrained in us to look away and leave this to the charities, but you can believe that view will never overcome poverty alone. It certainly does seem like trying to fill a well with snow, but there is no lack of opportunity to help. Jundo is right. Giving until it "hurts some" seems just about right to me.
    I'd like to report to Jundo that I'm still helping out here in Oregon . For my part, I also send some money directly to a needy recipient in the Philippines. What a poor country that is...

Gassho,

robert_lyn

Thank you, Jundo. It is good to be reminded about that.
    I bet everyone of us know someone who needs to receive attention, hope, a good word...
    I think we don't need to search too far...
    Sometimes this world is a very cold place to be...let's try to warm it!

Gassho.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo ... I spoke about this before and the time is coming closer. When my dog Bodhi and I went a spent time with my Granny in the sad place she is living now with others suffering with medical and psychology issues ... I felt I needed to do something to bring more smiles to their faces.

So I looked into getting Canine Compassion Training through Saint Johns Ambulance. I had to work on a couple things with Bodhi being that he is still young, but we have succeed and will be moving onto formal training.

My goalless goal when we are done training, is to visit the hospital, hospice, and retirement homes with Bodhi and bring a little joy into their lives. For me, this direct action has a profound impact ... I will keep you posted on the progress of the training.

Gassho
    Shingen
    What a great thing to do!! I am a huge, huge dog person. I've always wanted to do this, once my kids are older and I have some more time on my hands.

Gassho,
    Treena

btw, I think the name Bodhi is so cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    What a great thing to do!! I am a huge, huge dog person. I've always wanted to do this, once my kids are older and I have some more time on my hands.

Gassho,
    Treena

btw, I think the name Bodhi is so cute!!
    Thank you Treena,

Yes, it is an amazing heart felt experience to see the smiles and joy that comes to peoples faces when Bodhi sits on their laps and shares that unconditional love and acceptance.

That is one of the reason I gave Bodhi that name ... Bodhi being short for Bodhisattva.

Gassho
    Shingen

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?
    ~ Dogen Zenji