Thread: Japanese monks serve up alcohol and hip hop music

Japanese monks serve up alcohol and hip hop music

I don't think that they are Zen monks (Shingon and Jôdo Shinshû, I think), but it makes no difference really. These days, the temples and monks are pretty much interchangeable here in Japan ...

And the alcohol? Well, one Precept advices not to "sell alcohol". But here, lots of monks drink (and serve alcohol to guests), eat meat, get married ... Personally, I am an "all things in moderation, avoiding excess" kind of guy.

I have been thinking of doing something like this with a Zen coffee/tea house here, no alcohol.

Gassho, Jundo

Japanese monks serve up alcohol and hip hop music to lure in followers

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- The Buddhist religion has largely remained the same over the past few centuries, but a group of monks in Japan are spicing things up by turning to alcohol and rap music to lure in followers.

The monks are calling it Buddhism 2010.

Kansho Tagai, who is a Buddhist monk, believes it's time to change for the future and doesn't mind if it means dropping the chants and bringing on the rap music.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... l?hpt=Sbin

Re: Japanese monks serve up alcohol and hip hop music

Cool...no rapping unless you throw yourself fully in to it... and me fully out the door XD

Neat idea Although i was surprised and would be a bit hesitant about alcohol being sold however, I will say I enjoy a drink or 4 so... not while sitting and never while sitting behind the wheel.
    Definitely growth includes change and i was thinking of Will's version of the heart sutra as a fine example of what the monk was getting at. Although there is nothing wrong with tradition Sometimes it stands in the way of understanding for folks today. Just so long as we are willing to accept equally the old and the new with an open mind and be flexible.

Anywho off to bed catchy rap that is

Gassho Sho- to the HEeeeeyyyy

I was trying to imagine Jundo rapping, but with his style on the sit a longs it isn't actually that difficult. 8)

The alcohol sequence made me a bit uneasy too, but I don't drink at all (recently calculated the last time I had a drink was after my grandmother's funeral in 2004) so perhaps that's really not all that relevant. Just seems to be treading a slippery slope.

All in all, if it brings more people to buddhism who honestly engage in its teachings I think it's great, but often times these things seem to be fads, especially in Japan. But if it gets people through the door that's likely a very good thing.

Gassho,
    Dosho...in the hizzouse!

Myoshin

What is next, a Buddhist frat party? Dharma keg stands? It sounds like they are starting 'rushing' for pledges.

Jokes aside, I know change is something that happens and is a natural process in anything, but I do not think this is the best road to travel. So I will keep what I am doing, and let the drinkers drink and hipsters dance away. If it gets people in, then yay. But I wonder how many will stay around when they realize it is not all about the drink and the tunes (no matter how horrid they may be) and the cops bust the party.

Gassho,
    Kyle, one of the few guys on campus who dislikes rap music.

Hello Folks!

The balancing act between a little bit of "upaya", advertising and selling out is a difficult one...the only real answer may lie in the hearts of those doing it...personally I think that in most (not all!) cases this shows how desperate the corporate entities called Buddhist churches are. Losing members means losing power, money and overall influence.

Learn how to make fire and how to pass it on, putting sweet icing on a heap of ashes is not going to do the job in the long run, but will leave a lot of people with a dry feeling in their throats instead, once the sugar rush ends.

Gassho,

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I have been thinking of doing something like this with a Zen coffee/tea house here, no alcohol.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... l?hpt=Sbin
    For some reason I can't get at the original article. Shingon and Jodo Shinshu and rap music, you say :-)? I guess I could see it. Who do you think you would attract with a Zen coffee house? What would be Zen about it? What would you be able to pass on?

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    What would you be able to pass on?
    Well ... Zazen and a hot beverage, at least.

It is really not that different from a Zazenkai, followed by tea.

Zazen and a hot beverage sounds great for a hectic and chilly day. When it's a warm day perhaps a cold drink and Zazen. Good luck Shogen

I think it is a great idea. I am not a very big hip hop fan myself but if it gets people there...I haven't quite wrapped my head around the alcohol part of it but other than that, whatever works for them.

Gassho,
    Paula (Kien)

Hi.

Will this be served along with the sermon?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I think it is a nice idea as long as it is done in moderation.

as for the coffee and tea. i think it would be a nice idea to have a tea ceremony sometimes... i have once heard a lecture about the tea ceremony and liked it very much.
    i think it is a great example of an oryoki oriented green tea drinking and would be a nice touch to study it and peform it online ( the first tea ceremony online maybe? )
    what do you think?

Gassho, Dojin,

"OK baby, no problem..." Video exclusive of a Zen rapper... if nothing else, you have to admire his intent and willingness.

[youtube] [/youtube]

That's very interesting, and I also feel as many do here, open to it but hesitant especially about the alcohol.

I feel sad whenever people make reference to the chants in "old language that no one understands anymore". I look at it so differently. To me, that language is my connection to the way, even though I don't understand it myself (though I might study it in depth at some point). I know it can be argued in Zen that this is pointless, and language doesn't matter, but for some reason that's how it feels "right" to me.

I want to remain open to modernising -- as long as it's done in good taste, which admittedly is subjective -- but traditional things remain my anchor. An attachment to be dropped? Perhaps. But I at least try to entertain new ideas, including a bar (or coffee house) next to the zendo.

I'm still on the fence about the rap, though.

gassho
    Julia

Fo Shizzle!