Thread: What is peace?

disastermouse

What is peace?

It can't be contrived, attained, brought-about, logically arrived at, or arranged.

This right here is peace. Just this. Do not leave home. Where would you go? To where could you travel and it wouldn't be right here?

You can't escape it, but strangely you go looking for it.

How odd.

Chet

Re: What is peace?

Chet, the perfect expression for this is Baum's "The Wizard of OZ". It's all there. Everything you just said...Ah, if only to be able to maintain the eyes of a child throiughout our life.

Gassho,

Denis

Hi Chet
    A mind in turmoil is always looking for peace while a quiet mind is in its midst. Just a thought. Gassho Shogen

Peace simply is what it is, so let it be what it is. We can try to define it all day. Talk about how we react etc. But we all know what it is when we experience it. So just let it be and rejoice in it.

Shonin _/_

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDave
    Peace simply is what it is, so let it be what it is. We can try to define it all day. Talk about how we react etc. But we all know what it is when we experience it. So just let it be and rejoice in it.

Shonin _/_
    Can we be at Peace and One with a world that is not always peaceful, and a day to day life in which we do not always feel peaceful?

That is true Peace, the "being at one piece" with a world/life/self that just goes as it goes ...

If a person wants to be peaceful, happy, content all the time ... it is hard to be so.

If one can be content, happy and peaceful with the reality of not always feeling "content, happy and peaceful" every second of the day, in a life that is sometimes disturbing, sad, a struggle ... no longer needing to feel so ... well, that is Peace, Joy and Contentment of a very profound kind.

Sometimes this Practice will let us taste peace contentment and joy. Always this practice will let us know Peace Contentment and Joy.

When happy, just be happy to the marrow. When sad, just cry cry cry. At One Piece.

disastermouse

I guess that was sorta my point Jundo. Peace isn't te perfect confluence of conditions, nor an event. It's always right here - even when it seems not to be.

Chet

I think that what I think is peace, or rather what I used to think was peace, was really just comfort. Now I think that peace is experiencing life in both its ups and downs, lefts and rights, and always feeling joy that I had the opportunity to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCM
    Now I think that peace is experiencing life in both its ups and downs, lefts and rights, and always feeling joy that I had the opportunity to do so.
    Ah, already getting the hang of some of this!

All I would add is that we might "always feel joy" even about the fact the we don't necessarily "always feel joy". Don't expect to "always" feel anything. However, yes, there is a Great Joy there about the fact that we are alive to not always feel it, even when we don't and even when we do! :shock: