Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Sitting Hall

Re: The Sitting Hall

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    another kink to be worked out: is the "hang out" to be used as a sitting hall, or a chat room? -- i've already gone into one hangout and had to immediately leave when i realized it was a chat -- my (incorrect) assumption had been g+ was to be tested as a new sitting hall, not chat room, and that all the folks i was adding to my circle were into sitting -- this has not always been the case -- i think that at the very least, folks who are chatting should sign up on the scheduler as such -- i.e., if it doesn't say "chat", it means that person will be sitting -- silently, except for liturgy
    Robert,

Google+ and its Hangout feature is a new system for chatting that Shohei thought could be adapted for our needs. It is designed to be for chatting, not silent sitting. Shoehi simply got us all on the system earlier than it has been opened for widespread use, but it is meant to be a Facebook alternative for social networking. I don't think people should need to indicate that they are NOT chatting, just that they ARE sitting. Every person creates their own Hangout so there is no one set sitting hall. So, for me at least, I indicate what I'm doing there...not telling others what they should be using it for.

Gassho,
    Dosho

The Sitting Hall

It's new so it will take a little while to work everything out. It's definitely a good idea to let people know if it's a chat or a sit.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    It's new so it will take a little while to work everything out. It's definitely a good idea to let people know if it's a chat or a sit.

Ron
    I can see what you are saying and I will do that myself, but I don't think we need require folks who don't just use the system for Treeleaf related activities to always have to indicate to that it's a chat.

The Sitting Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho

Ron
    I can see what you are saying and I will do that myself, but I don't think we need require folks who don't just use the system for Treeleaf related activities to always have to indicate to that it's a chat.
    Since the Google+ is in the context of Treeleaf, I just assumed ( wrongly) that it was being used as a Sitting Hall only. I'll just assume that unless I see the name on the "zenhall" scheduler or it's labelled " Zazen", people are chatting. I haven't accidentally gone into a chat wanting to sit, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

Ron

I haven't accidentally gone into a chat wanting to sit, so it hasn't been a problem for me.
    I did that with Chet, so that's probably why I'm more aware of it!

One thing about the calendar/scheduler: For those of us who do not know ahead of time when they'll be sitting or how long we'll be able to sit for, the calendar often isn't a part of using Google+/Hangout. I have said I will retroactively put my sits into the calendar so people can know when I have sat, so I will try to be better about doing that. But I wouldn't make assumptions on how people are using Google+ based on what is or is not written in the calendar.

Gassho,
    Dosho

The Sitting Hall

Hello,

I tend to agree that if you're using hangout for zazen, let people know. I still think if at all possible (and I understand that sometimes it is not) to use the scheduler.

Ron

Just had to post up how wonderful it was to sit with Rocky, Fugen, Peter and Choco this morning. Was telling my wife how neat to have an impromptu sit with people from Germany, Sweden, Mexico and Arizona (I believe). Thanks for joining guys and hope to sit with you all again soon!

Gassho

Shawn

Good to join Ron, Shujin, Jennifer in G+ this evening.
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Happy to sit with you again, Engyo. G+ has been a positive change for the Sitting Hall. Now, if I can just get re-sharing hangouts right.....

gassho,
    Shujin

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin
    Happy to sit with you again, Engyo. G+ has been a positive change for the Sitting Hall. Now, if I can just get re-sharing hangouts right.....

gassho,
    Shujin
    Hello Shujin,
    Good to see you.
    What do you mean by "re-sharing hang-outs"?
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Shawn(shards) posted a tip on G+ a couple of days ago about this. When the originator of a hangout leaves, new users can't join the hangout anymore. For example, if I setup a hangout that you joined, and I left before you, no one could join you to continue sitting. I tried his advice the other day without any success, however. I would attribute this to my technical ineptitude.

Here's the original post from Shawn:

Btw fellow Treeleaf sitters:

I found a neat way to keep the sit up when the originator leaves. When you go to join another persons sit, make sure you set the group you want to share it with. This way, it'll be posted to your Stream. If the originator of the Hangout leaves, it'll stay open through your posting.
    gassho,
    Shujin

Maybe I need to explain more. Been quite busy with visiting family and just life lately so only been posting via my tablet and it seems to truncate my thoughts.

Anyway, the issue I was addressing was this I had noted in our morning sits:

1. Roky starts up a hangout.
    2. Shawn joins 15 min later as he had time dragging his carcass out of bed.
    3. Roky finishes sitting and leaves hangout.
    4. Shawn continues sitting alone, but nobody knows as its no longer posted. Instead it now says: Roky hung out.
    5. Choco goes to G+ to sit and doesn't see Shawn so starts new sit.

So what I discovered is this:
    1. Still same as above.
    2. Still same as I am still lazy. However, this time at the screen where you "fix your hair" and mic and stuff, invite others to sit. In my case, its the Treeleaf circle.
    2.5. Now Shawn's profile will show the ability to join him for hangout.
    3. Same as above.
    4. No longer applicable.
    5. Choco logs into G+ and sees that Shawn is still sitting, joins me, and while fixes his hair, continues as I did at step 2 in case Dosho come on after Shawn left.

I am sure I may be confusing things more so will spend a couple min tonight to make a video...if u r like me, visual examples are way easier...

Gassho,

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn; that cleared it up quite a bit for me. I was sharing the post outside of the hangout, so it wasn't working. I'll give this a shot tonight. I'm sure it'll work out. In the evening we all seem to be staggered with our sitting times, so it'll be great to get some of the old Sitting Hall feeling back Thank you again for taking the time to help.

gassho,
    Shujin

and i might add, it really helps if folks also use the scheduler -- for me, this is the "bottom-line" when it comes to communicating "i'm sitting now", or "i will be sitting at 10:00" -- because the new scheduler can be edited "on the fly", and even retrospectively, i use it to see who i may have missed before i start my sit -- and if 5 minutes before my scheduled sit, something comes up, i can edit it to whatever time/length i want -- i can see when shawn is sitting, and hold off on my sit so we can sit together -- it compensates for the complexities of g+, and the occasional instablities -- if 5 people are sitting, there can be 5 seperate entries, or one entry edited 5 times, very flexible -- i've trained myself to use it, cause i know that when i'm in the desert in 2 months, the wifi is unstable, and g+ will probably not get the bandwidth it needs -- but i will still be able to sit with you, as indicated on the scheduler, but i won't be seen in the hangout -- of course, you need to get put on the scheduler list, and i forgot who takes care of that

Re: Re: The Sitting Hall

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    you need to get put on the scheduler list, and i forgot who takes care of that
    Anyone who is already setup on Google Calendar can add more people. Of course you sorta need to know where and how...

I of course don't mind adding you if not on the calendar already.

Gassho

Shawn

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910