Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sitting Hall

The Sitting Hall

Hello all;

Greetings from Canada! I thought that I would attempt my first sitting in the "Zendo". I've booked Wed Dec 23 1:00 (GMT) for 30 minutes. I hope that I'm following correct procedure, but if not, please correct me. If you happen to be about around then, please sit with me.

Thanks all,
    Jim

Re: The Sitting Hall

Hi Jim
    You can book off time then folks know when your sitting and can join you. You dont have to book it though you for simplicities sake you could just post like you did and go sit. Either way welcome again and a good sitting with you

Gassho
    Shohei

Hello all,

I've been using the zen-hall again if anyone is interested in joining in. I just sit, nothing fancy, for about 20 minutes around 9:30pm Eastern Standard Time. I have youngish children (one 5 year old that refuses to go to bed when he is supposed to) so sometime I have to start a little late.

Ron

Here's the newbie question of the day:

What sitting hall? :shock: is it a video chat thing? Please explain

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Here's the newbie question of the day:

What sitting hall? :shock: is it a video chat thing? Please explain

Taylor
    Hi.

This is the zen hall (sitting hall)
    http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/zen-hall.php

And this is the meeting hall
    http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/meeting-hall.php

By the way, we used the meeting hall for a time for our sunday teapartys, but have now gone over to using skype instead.
    If you want to join those, you are very welcome, just pm me your skypename.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Didn't know there were these halls in the Shanga. The zen hall asks for permission to connect the camera, but then I just get a light blue screen with the words "Silence". Maybe it is not activated unless there are more than one people using the hall?

Thanks a lot for your help

Gassho

Da5id

Hi.

It's set to start in "silent mode" if you click on the silent text others can hear you, and there should be no blue screen, you can sit there by yourself (not self by the way...).

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

That's cool!!! I didn't know about this either. If others are sitting, will it show their user names?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    That's cool!!! I didn't know about this either. If others are sitting, will it show their user names?
    You can type your user name or a short message at the bottom of the screen.

There is more information under "Technical FAQ" that is on the drop down menu when you hold your cursor over "Library" in the upper right hand corner of the screen between "About Us" and "Sangha". Just click on the "Video Zendo FAQ" subject header.

There used to be a thread around here somewhere that had a lot of the information on it but I can't seem to find it.

If you have any other questions, just post them here and I am sure someone will answer them.

Ron

Thank you so much Fugen and Ron for the information.

It seems that is something related to my webcam. I'll try to solve it

Gassho

Da5id

Thanks to this thread, I've started using the Zen hall on a daily basis. It's a great way to feel connected to the sa?gha, even though I'm alone in there .

I usually sit 22.00 CET (what's that, 10 p.m.? Or 10 a.m.? I never could figure out the English way of time telling).

Thanks for this topic! I will have to try this. I've never used the zen hall before, so it will be an interesting experience.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    Hello all,

I've been using the zen-hall again if anyone is interested in joining in. I just sit, nothing fancy, for about 20 minutes around 9:30pm Eastern Standard Time. I have youngish children (one 5 year old that refuses to go to bed when he is supposed to) so sometime I have to start a little late.

Ron
    Hi Ron,

I'll have a go since it's a good time for me as my eldest (almost 5) goes to bed around 9pm, but that time can become a bit loose like you mentioned with yours! Hopefully I'll catch you one of these nights.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Does the zen hall not work with Mac users? I cannot login. I seem to just get the blue box with Adobe Flash information, but I cannot go from there. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gassho,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Does the zen hall not work with Mac users? I cannot login. I seem to just get the blue box with Adobe Flash information, but I cannot go from there. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gassho,

Adam
    I do have a Mac and it worked. It's a little bit tricky though. Once in the Hall, with the blue screen, click on "settings" and instead of choosing the default camera try another one. I choose "usb camera" which I don't have but suddenly there I was on the screen. :-D

Hope it helps

gassho

Da5id

The exact name of the device that worked for me was "USB Video Class Video" however I only have a built-in cam, like all Apple Laptops.

Gassho

Da5id

Hi all,
    Just did my first sitting in the Treeleaf zendo. What a great idea Jundo! I was all alone and the zendo was empty. Indeed, I wasn't even there! Hope to bump into one of you on one of my visits.
    Deep bows,
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by da5id

Gassho,

Adam
    I do have a Mac and it worked. It's a little bit tricky though. Once in the Hall, with the blue screen, click on "settings" and instead of choosing the default camera try another one. I choose "usb camera" which I don't have but suddenly there I was on the screen. :-D

Hope it helps

gassho

Da5id

Thank you very much Da5id, but it still didn't work. I have a screen that has an Adobe flash player settings "screen shot," but I can't actually click on anything. I don't see a settings button. I could be totally blind to where I should be, but I cannot see how this is supposed to work. I appreciate all your help, and I hope that I can be sitting in the hall soon!

Gassho,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by da5id

Gassho,

Adam

Hope it helps

gassho

Da5id

Thank you very much Da5id, but it still didn't work. I have a screen that has an Adobe flash player settings "screen shot," but I can't actually click on anything. I don't see a settings button. I could be totally blind to where I should be, but I cannot see how this is supposed to work. I appreciate all your help, and I hope that I can be sitting in the hall soon!

Gassho,

Adam
    I have a mac too, and it worked the same way as Da5id is describing above

Do you have the latest flash player?

Could you perhaps make a screen capture pic and post it here?

This is what my screen looks like...i cannot click anywhere in the screen. When I right click at select settings, nothing happens. I believe I do have the latest version of Adobe, but I am really new to Mac, so I don't know if it is set to automatically choose Adobe for this type of video. Sorry for my ignorance! ops: ops:

Gassho,

Adam

Attached files

This is what my screen looks like...i cannot click anywhere in the screen. When I right click at select settings, nothing happens. I believe I do have the latest version of Adobe, but I am really new to Mac, so I don't know if it is set to automatically choose Adobe for this type of video. Sorry for my ignorance! ops: ops:

Gassho,

Adam
    Yes, this is how it looks for me as well. All you do is to click in the "Allow" and "Remember" fields in the settings box, (since the default is set to "ignore", the program hasn't access to your web camera).

If that doesn't work (you said that you can't click anywhere on the screen?), it's strange. Have you tried another web browser?

Quote Originally Posted by anista

Gassho,

Adam
    Yes, this is how it looks for me as well. All you do is to click in the "Allow" and "Remember"-fields in the settings box, (since the default is set to "ignore", the program hasn't access to your web camera).

If that doesn't work (you said that you can't click anywhere on the screen?), it's strange. Have you tried another web browser?
    Thanks for the quick response on this. I have tried both Firefox and Safari, but neither is working. I don't know if it is something with my Adobe, or my internet settings. Like I said, I'm VERY new to Mac, so I will bet that it is all user error. That is strange that you were able to actually click on that screen. I cannot. I appreciate the help!

Gassho,

Adam

mebeam also has its own web page and forum -- although i found them not helpful when we had problems a long time ago, perhaps the other mac users there could help you out?

i know it won't work with linux, so i split my hard drive, and dual boot with windows -- mebeam is the only program i even have windows for -- in linux, perhaps in mac, you also can create a virtual computer within your system, and virtually run windows, if you have a windows cd

good luck, roky

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    mebeam also has its own web page and forum -- although i found them not helpful when we had problems a long time ago, perhaps the other mac users there could help you out?

i know it won't work with linux, so i split my hard drive, and dual boot with windows -- mebeam is the only program i even have windows for -- in linux, perhaps in mac, you also can create a virtual computer within your system, and virtually run windows, if you have a windows cd

good luck, roky
    THANK YOU, Roky! I went to mebeam and accessed the treeleaf video and it worked! Now, when I go to the zen hall from Treeleaf's page, I see my ugly mug right away! I have no idea what was happening, but I'm SO thankful that this worked!

Deep Gassho,

Adam

Okay. Worked for a couple seconds, now not...let me try again.

Adam

Okay, I'm up and running! This is great. My first time sitting in the zen hall today. I was sitting with, Roky, I believe. Nice to see another face! I will be using this often.

Gassho,

Adam

glad to hear it worked out, adam -- there's a section on mebeam's forum, i think under "help", and this can be a resource too -- they get a bit pissed if you ask for help without reading it first

and now i'm having a slight problem -- having not used the zen hall for about 6 months, i'm glad to see that solo sits no longer require you to open 2 windows, i.e., 2 of you(previously you would get kicked out in 5 minutes unless there was more than 1 person in a "room") -- but what's going on with the video screen changing size mid-way through the sit? -- when i finished a sit today, i turned to see a few of us, but everyone was about postage stamp size(i think someone waved, but so itty-bitty couldn't tell who) -- and this is happening even when i sit alone(i don't mean that i'm getting small, like alice -- i mean that the video is getting small -- i did once start to shrink, but that was long ago in my psychedelic days -- wouldn't want to do that again :!:

is this just happening to me?

gassho, roky

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    glad to hear it worked out, adam -- there's a section on mebeam's forum, i think under "help", and this can be a resource too -- they get a bit pissed if you ask for help without reading it first

and now i'm having a slight problem -- having not used the zen hall for about 6 months, i'm glad to see that solo sits no longer require you to open 2 windows, i.e., 2 of you(previously you would get kicked out in 5 minutes unless there was more than 1 person in a "room") -- but what's going on with the video screen changing size mid-way through the sit? -- when i finished a sit today, i turned to see a few of us, but everyone was about postage stamp size(i think someone waved, but so itty-bitty couldn't tell who) -- and this is happening even when i sit alone(i don't mean that i'm getting small, like alice -- i mean that the video is getting small -- i did once start to shrink, but that was long ago in my psychedelic days -- wouldn't want to do that again :!:

is this just happening to me?

gassho, roky
    Roky,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. When I was sitting today, I was only with one other person. You I believe. The screen was just split in two, but both were the same size. Maybe you should email Shohei. He was helping me earlier with my problem. I don't know if it would be under your view settings in your browser or in Adobe, but that's where I would try first. Thanks again for your help earlier and thanks for sitting with me today.

Gassho,

Adam

I used to have some troubles getting the zen hall to work, but I tried it tonight and it worked fine.
    I plan on using it a bit more now that it agrees with my computer.

Peace,
    Eika

My wife needs the computer tonight so I won't be in the zen-hall at 9:30 EST, I'll still be sitting at that time, just not on-line.

Ron

I'll be there at 10 eastern US time

Hi Peter,

Nice to see you back on the sitting schedule. I may start sitting a little later and join you some.

Ron

Just on family vacation last week, I should be back with some regularity now
    I've found sitting every day is not as difficult for me as sitting -AT THE SAME TIME- every day... I'm sort of all over the place, sitting whenever I've got 30 minutes with no kids/work/etc. Plotting times on the schedule has been helpful in making me a little more consistent.

Does anyone sit in the hall without being on the schedule? I was wondering the other day why I don't just pop in and turn on my cam every time I sit, regardless of the time. But I am not sure if the hall has ever been used that way.

Gassho

^^ that is the main way I sat in the hall. the scheduling just lets others know you will be sitting then then, not mandatory.

Gassho
    Shohei

I do it that way sometimes as well. I try and use the schedule in case anyone wants to join me and also to kind of "make" me sit (If I put myself on the schedule, I am way less likely to come up with an excuse not to sit)

Ron

The thought that someone might be watching is also good motivation/reminder to just sit through back pain, knee pain, or the visitor I had creeping across the zabuton last night....

EEEEEEK! Wow that picture is scarier than the real thing.

I will be setting booking for 8 am EST every weekday. I've been waking up only to fall back asleep so now I have motivation to actually get the hell out of bed :twisted: Many of you may be at work though. Sigh..... to be young and on summer vacation......

:twisted: Many of you may be at work though. Sigh..... to be young and on summer vacation......
    Enjoy your summer.

Ron

Glad to have finally done the sitting with someone! Unfortunately a technical glitch prevented me from well, doing anything but sitting, no timer no way to chat, only my slowly numbing legs for a connection to any sort of time. And finally, the zen hall wouldn't let me leave :shock: a clever trick by Jundo, perhaps?

Anyways, great to see you in there Ron (it was you Ron, wasn't it?) Peter perhaps? :P

Gassho
    Taylor

Well after making all that fuss about the Zen Hall helping me stick to a time, I got held up with some work issues and missed my scheduled time this evening. Must have been Ron with you, Taylor. Hope to "see" you both (and anyone/everyone else) soon!

I tried it today and it seemed to work, though I have in fact no idea if it did, because I wanted to use the timer too and so they were in separate tabs and that was not very practical. >_< I'll try different ways of doing it when I next sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I tried it today and it seemed to work, though I have in fact no idea if it did, because I wanted to use the timer too and so they were in separate tabs and that was not very practical. >_< I'll try different ways of doing it when I next sit.
    You can download the timer in mp3 format, I think. Then you don't have to keep different tabs opened.

Philip

Glad to have finally done the sitting with someone! Unfortunately a technical glitch prevented me from well, doing anything but sitting, no timer no way to chat, only my slowly numbing legs for a connection to any sort of time. And finally, the zen hall wouldn't let me leave :shock: a clever trick by Jundo, perhaps?

Anyways, great to see you in there Ron (it was you Ron, wasn't it?) Peter perhaps? :P

Gassho
    Taylor
    Hi Taylor,

When I want to use the Treeleaf timer, I open two windows. If you want to chat, you have to hold your cursor over your image box and take the mute off. You can text using the little green line at the bottom of the window. (It's really small) There is more information under "Technical FAQ" that is on the drop down menu when you hold your cursor over "Library" in the upper right hand corner of the screen between "About Us" and "Sangha". Just click on the "Video Zendo FAQ" subject header. That was me in the zendo with you. I've not heard of the zen-hall trapping anyone before....Maybe Jundo is getting crafty in his old age!

Ron

Hello,

I'm going on a family vacation in a few days so I won't be in the Sitting Hall or online for a couple of weeks.

Ron

Hello,

I usually try and sit about 10pm (MST) every evening, so I don't know if anyone will be around the hall then. Hope to see any of you soon!

Gassho,

Adam

Hello all,

Ron
    Still here if anyone is interested in joining me.

Hello all,

Ron
    Still here if anyone is interested in joining me.
    Hey Ron,

I could have written the exact same message since I have a 5 year old that won't go to bed but finally does about then! Only problem is I also have a 1 year old that I usually have to help with right after that, but I'm always trying to make time to sit while you are in there...hopefully I'll make it one of these nights!

Gassho,
    Dosho

P.S. Good to have you back!

I'm slowly returning to a more normal schedule after some unexpectedly turbulent weeks at work and home. I'll try to get back on the schedule soon. I've been single-parenting lately (mine are 5 and 3) as my wife is in and out of town for work. Excuses, excuses. Managing to sit most every day, but timing is all over the place.

I finally made it for my first Sitting Hall session; thanks to Ron for motivating me by example. Unfortunately, I put the floor lamp a bit too close to my head... I felt like I was the object of an interrogation:

"DOES A DOG HAVE BUDDHA NATURE?"

I swear to you, I don't know!!!

Won't be doing that again.

I'll try to make some appointments in the coming weeks. I work night shift, M-R, for the next month but hopefully someone can join me.

gassho,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDots
    I finally made it for my first Sitting Hall session; thanks to Ron for motivating me by example. Unfortunately, I put the floor lamp a bit too close to my head... I felt like I was the object of an interrogation:

"DOES A DOG HAVE BUDDHA NATURE?"

I swear to you, I don't know!!!

Won't be doing that again.

I'll try to make some appointments in the coming weeks. I work night shift, M-R, for the next month but hopefully someone can join me.

gassho,
    Chris
    :lol:

Good to see you.

Ron

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast