Thread: ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD Here!!

ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD Here!!

Hi All Retreaters ...

The SUTRA and CEREMONY CHANT BOOK (27 pages, PDF) for the Retreat is ready for download ...

http://sites.google.com/site/jundotreel ... ects=0&d=1

It is much more extensive than the book we use for weekly and monthly Zazenkai, and is also somewhat modified from last year.

Please print out the following "Gatha" Chants (found also on Page 3 of the Chant Book) and keep them in your bathroom area (wrapped in plastic is suggested ... )

PRINT THESE OUT AND POST THEM AROUND YOUR BATHROOM!!
    RECITE EACH AFTER 3 BOWS:

VERSE ON ENTERING BATH
    Bathing the body,
    may all living beings
    be clean in body and mind,
    pure and shining within and without.

VERSE FOR TOOTH BRUSHING

Brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth,
    I vow to speak purely and lovingly.
    When my mouth is fragrant with
    right speech,
    A flower blooms in the garden of the heart.

VERSE FOR FACE/HAND WASHING
    Washing the face/hands,
    I vow with all beings
    To pierce the pure Dharma gate
    Forever undefiled

VERSE ON ENTERING TOILET
    Defiled or immaculate,
    increasing or decreasing--
    these concepts exist only in our mind.
    The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

VERSE AFTER EACH OF THE FOREGOING

Using the (bath / tooth brush/
    wash basin / toilet)
    I vow with all beings
    To pierce defilement
    clearing greed, anger and ignorance.
    Gassho, Jundo

Re: ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD Here!!

Hi

I stumbled on a way to organize and protect the chant book while recycling. Remember the old “Day Runner” half page binders? Yea that was before Palm Pilots, Blackberries, I Phones etc. Anyway I dug my old one out and found if I printed the chant book two pages to a sheet and cut them, they fit perfectly in the old day runner. Convenient dividers, loose leaf so it does not close when reading, and protects the chant book and other material Jundo and Taigu have given us over time.

Works for me, hope the idea helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    Hi

I stumbled on a way to organize and protect the chant book while recycling. Remember the old “Day Runner” half page binders? Yea that was before Palm Pilots, Blackberries, I Phones etc. Anyway I dug my old one out and found if I printed the chant book two pages to a sheet and cut them, they fit perfectly in the old day runner. Convenient dividers, loose leaf so it does not close when reading, and protects the chant book and other material Jundo and Taigu have given us over time.

Jim
    Thanks for the idea Jim! I seem to remember Jundo mentioning he'd show us how to make a chant book in one of the beginner videos, but I don't remember seeing anything about that since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    Hi

Jim
    Thanks for the idea Jim! I seem to remember Jundo mentioning he'd show us how to make a chant book in one of the beginner videos, but I don't remember seeing anything about that since.
    Hmm... Did I say that? Well, I would say to follow Jim's suggestion, or just go to the stationary story and get a nice binder cover.

How about a quick lesson in how to hold it?

With a more solidly constructed booklet, one would hold it at eye level with the thumbs and little fingers inside the book. ...

The top of the book should be held about even with the tip of the nose.

With this more flimsy booklet, it can be a little easier to hold your hands in Gassho with your thumbs holding the page in front of you. In other words, make a regular Gassho, and hold the book in the crease between the thumbs and pointer fingers. (like the fellow at far right here ....

... although he is very sloppy and should be holding it up higher, at nose level, elbows out to the sides, to truly have proper decorum) ...

The Sutra chant books are to be respected, of course, so please don't put them on the floor or stand on them for example. You should keep them within reach of your sitting place, however, so I recommend putting a towel or cloth under them, especially if they will be on the ground.

Gassho, Jundo

never having messed with this printer before 30 minutes ago i had hell trying to get it all printed right for an actual booklet.

So, I skipped all that and just printed a page per sheet of paper. Will try to hold it correctly as best I can :?

In the long term i'll figure out a way to make the booklet happen as a booklet.

However, my buddha statue has been secured. A table for my lil green buddy ..not so secured.

_/_

Thanks for the photo and instructions on holding the chant book. That is one draw back of printing it two pages to a sheet. Print small for us old guys. However holding it up close will work!

Snowed last night, windy and cold, so moving retreat from my studio into the dinning room next to the heater. No hypothermia like last year! :lol: (not LOL, teeth chattering)