Thread: ending the sitting

ending the sitting

i have a question about ending a sitting.. does one do a "cold stop", hey the bell rang its done, lemme take care getting up and on with my day..
    or do you "ease your way" off the cushion?
    what i do is i count my breath, to 10 and back , and thats that..
    but i was just curious if there was actually a procedure, or something i should or shouldnt do once the bell rings..
    gassho and thanks

Re: ending the sitting

Hi bayamo
    It really depends...

I usually follow through as if i were going to go to kinhin and ring the bell 2x...
    carefully get up (rub my feet as needed to ensure the bloods back in em) get up to the right,
    fluff the zafu back up rolling to the right with 3 fingers in a tripod.
    Then I Gassho to the wall...
    turn to the right and Gassho into the room,
    turn bow to the altar with stuff on it (I'm set up literally behind the door in our bedroom...its a tight squeeze so...)
    then take off the Kesa or Rakusu (in the "proper fashion")
    and try to leave the room in the same way I would (or would hope is correct) to leaving a zendo...

NOW that's if supper ain't burning, kids are not in need, dogs going to poop on the floor... etc. Then it is -

up
    bows
    and run.

I'm speaking only for myself and you do what you feel comfortable doing. Its good to do what you resist a lil and in that spirit... days I'm feeling rushed i try to do the full monty. Really you do not need to make it to complicated.

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by bayamo
    i have a question about ending a sitting.. does one do a "cold stop", hey the bell rang its done, lemme take care getting up and on with my day..
    or do you "ease your way" off the cushion?

In group, we all usually just ease slow away from our seats. I usually ease away and do some basic stretch to get the blood flowing again.

Usually, I do some massage to my leg.

After that, just standing and bowing. And just forget the zazen, do the next. Sometimes kinhin, sometimes just back to daily life.

Gassho, mujo

thanks and gassho..