Hi All,

I have something I would like to discuss with the Sangha, and get everyone's consensus and (I hope) approval.

I have had an offer to move our daily "Sit-a-long" Netcast and Blog to the website of Shambhala Sun/Buddhadharma magazines ... probably as a blog on their "Shambhala SunSpace" pages ...

http://www.shambhalasun.com/

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/

The folks at Beliefnet.com offered to renew our blog contract for another year, and they are very nice people ... but I think that Shambhala Sun/Buddhadharma might be a more appropriate soil for us. The reason is that Shambhala Sun/Buddhadharma is a non-profit organization, carrying (for the most part) serious articles and essays on Buddhist topics (especially on the Buddhadharma side). They are well respected in the wider Buddhist Sangha. Their mission statement is this ...

Shambhala Sun Foundation

Who We Are

We are a nonprofit, independent media company dedicated to the publishing and propagating of genuine buddhadharma of all traditions.

The Shambhala Sun Foundation publishes the Shambhala Sun and Buddhadharma: The Practitioner’s Quarterly. The Foundation is an independent, not-for-profit, charitable organization in Canada, and a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in the United States.

Our Background

Started in 1992, the Shambhala Sun has grown to become the most widely-read Buddhist-inspired magazine in North America, bringing the wisdom of contemplative spiritual practice to all the important issues in life. In 2002, in response to the growing community of long-term committed Buddhist practitioners, we launched Buddhadharma: The Practitioner’s Quarterly, an in-depth, practice-oriented journal of Buddhist teachings.

We are proud that our growth from a community newspaper (with a circulation of 3,000) to two magazines (with a combined circulation of over 100,000) has been accomplished without significant outside financial support, accumulated debt, or operating losses. We gratefully acknowledge that our success could not have been possible without the generous and passionate help of all of you—our readers and teachers, writers and artists, advertisers and friends. You have all been our partners in this journey and your contributions will continue to be critical as we embark on a new phase in our mission.

Read Editor-in-Chief Melvin McLeod’s September 2007 editorial announcing the Shambhala Sun Foundation.

Read Publisher James Gimian's March 2008 editorial discussing the myth of independence.

Our Mission

The Shambhala Sun Foundation promotes the growth and development of genuine buddhadharma as Buddhism takes root in the West. Through the publication of magazines and other media, conferences and educational forums, we will support all traditions of dharma that teach the three marks of existence and nontheism, and are based on meditation practice and cutting through spiritual materialism. In these endeavors, the Shambhala Sun Foundation will work with and support all those who share the values of wisdom, sacredness and compassion.
Beliefnet has been lovely ... but, well, if anyone has seen some of the advertisements and such that accompany our blog now, they might have some concerns.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/

So, I think the move is good.

But this is something I wish to do in a "Japanese"way of "group harmony and consensus". So, what do you think (and non-think) about the move? It would probably be from January 1st, in time for our Jukai ceremony.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - Oh, and Taigu said already he likes the idea.

PPS - A small part of me would take some joy in telling Rupert Murdock, owner of Beliefnet and FoxNews, that we are moving on. Of course, I do not think he is a regular reader of our blog.