Thread: USTREAM Help Please

USTREAM Help Please

NOTE FROM JUNDO - THIS TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS NOW BEEN RESOLVED. THE LINK TO THE ANGO SATURDAY ZAZENKAI IS NOW WORKING ...

I had the URL wrong. The link should be working now without need for a password.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2068076

Around here, we call "technical problems" as "Teachings" and "Koans" 8)

Gassho and Apologies ... Jundo

Hello all,

Sorry for the techno-challenged nature of this question. Do I need to sign up for USTREAM in order to participate in the recorded Saturday Zazenkais? When I click on the "Zazen Netcast" link on the sit-a-long page I am directed to the USTREAM user log in page, where I would be required to sign up. I thought I had viewed other USTREAM recordings and was not required to sign up... I did comb the vast regions of past postings here to find my answer and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gassho, Jean

UPDATE: I knew I'd been able to view others without signing up! I am able to view the special 6 hour zazenkai and others, but not today's first zazenkai for Ango. Help!

Re: USTREAM Help Please

I had the same problem so signed up for ustream. Also had trouble with audio difficult to hear. -Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Have you tried going to the 6 hour zazenkai link? It took me straight to the video with no need to sign up.

Gassho, Jean

Thank you but too late I already signed up. oh well -Andrea

Sadly, it still does not work for today's Ango Zazenkai. Hopefully, someone with more know how than me will see this post and reply.

Gassho, Jean

Hey Jean,

I have never had to sign up to view ustream vids, so I don't understand why it would do that. Hopefully someone else has some info that's more helpful.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hey Jean,

I have never had to sign up to view ustream vids, so I don't understand why it would do that. Hopefully someone else has some info that's more helpful.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thanks, Dosho. I'm glad to have that confirmation! I'll just plan on doing the Saturday Zazenkai on Sunday or whenever it's resolved.

Gassho, Jean

Hi Jean,

I also get a login screen when I click the link for today's Netcast.

At least one of the 6-hour Zazenkai links used to result in a login screen but it doesn't now. I think Jundo had to do something to correct it. The alternative is to register an account on UStream which is easy to do.

JohnH

Quote Originally Posted by jrh001
    Hi Jean,

I also get a login screen when I click the link for today's Netcast.

At least one of the 6-hour Zazenkai links used to result in a login screen but it doesn't now. I think Jundo had to do something to correct it. The alternative is to register an account on UStream which is easy to do.

JohnH
    Thanks JohnH. I'm just trying to avoid putting my email address out to yet another website, hence my hesitation to register on UStream. I'm sure Jundo will fix it. I just need to cultivate patience.

Gassho, Jean

Hi,

My Bad Karma ... I had the URL wrong. The link should be working now without need for a password.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2068076

Around here, we call "technical problems" as "Teachings" and "Koans" 8)

Gassho and Apologies ... Jundo

Hi
    I watched the Zazenkai last night and while it started ok, it froze up twice leaving poor Jundo frozen mid bow a couple of times. Lucky it did not freeze up during zazen… could make for a long sit! Anyone have this problem and is there a way to watch the whole recording without re starting the program several times? It may be my computer has too slow of a connection or something.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    Hi
    I watched the Zazenkai last night and while it started ok, it froze up twice leaving poor Jundo frozen mid bow a couple of times. Lucky it did not freeze up during zazen… could make for a long sit! Anyone have this problem and is there a way to watch the whole recording without re starting the program several times? It may be my computer has too slow of a connection or something.

Jim
    I am still not sure why some folks report the a video freezes when most others do not. It happens for both Ustream and Youtube. Probably certain computers and operating systems. All I can recommend is ... what you do not hear, you do not hear.

400 years ago, you might miss Zazen because your horse was sick getting you to the temple from the castle ... now, we have these issues. 8)

All I can say is ... be timing yourself too, in case the video does stop during Zazen. Sitting is "timeless", but not timeless.

Gassho, J

Hi,

It's been working fine for me since Jundo fixed it. Thanks!

Gassho, Jean

Hi Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    Hi

Jim
    Hmm, it worked OK for me yesterday. Have you made sure your screensaver and power scheme are set not to go into standby or turn off monitor/hard disk? (Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious...). Like Jundo mentioned, it's also a good idea to have your own timer as well. For example, I set mine to 50 minutes (countdown) at the beginning of Zazen, just in case.

Gassho
    Bansho

Hi Guys,
    I'll chip in here with my tech. bumps. (the straightening out of which is one of my more important commitments direction Sangha for this Ango period)

I made it into the Zen Hall for the live sitting Saturday, but I had no sound ( I did put 'mic' on bright stand)
    Also I did not see Jundo on my screen (and am unsure if he could see me). I saw some other folk participating - they appeared to be able to hear the proceedings direct from Treeleaf.

I sat with my frustration - no problem, and I'm quite happy to sit without sound and get the talk later recorded if that is what is possible, at the same time sound would be welcome ... especially if its depending on something easy to remedy.

Does anyone recognise this situation? I would be grateful of any Suggestions.

Thanks, Greetings and Gassho,
    Nadi

Hey Nadi,

I forget how the controls work exactly, but I'm pretty sure the "MIC" setting has to do with your machine's microphone, not Jundo's. Unless you want others to hear you during the sit, it's best to leave the settings alone since one person's mic can blow everyone else's speakers if set too high.

Never sure if I'm that helpful to you, but I try to chime in with what little bits I can offer.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Bids
    Hi Guys,
    I'll chip in here with my tech. bumps. (the straightening out of which is one of my more important commitments direction Sangha for this Ango period)

I made it into the Zen Hall for the live sitting Saturday, but I had no sound ( I did put 'mic' on bright stand)
    Also I did not see Jundo on my screen (and am unsure if he could see me). I saw some other folk participating - they appeared to be able to hear the proceedings direct from Treeleaf.

I sat with my frustration - no problem, and I'm quite happy to sit without sound and get the talk later recorded if that is what is possible, at the same time sound would be welcome ... especially if its depending on something easy to remedy.

Does anyone recognise this situation? I would be grateful of any Suggestions.

Thanks, Greetings and Gassho,
    Nadi
    Hi Nadi,

The "Zen Hall" is for folks (each with their little camera) to sit and see others sitting ... for folks who get benefit from that.

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/zen-hall.php

However, to see the "sit-a-long" netcasts (especially the Saturday Zazenkai), I am not visible in the "Zen Hall", but broadcasting on the sit-a-long blog, using Ustream (the link is always posted on the blog at http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/ shortly before we start).

If you really wish to do both at once, you need to open them in separate browser windows and do a split screen like this, with the "Zen Hall" in one window and me in the other ...

Hopefully, your computer and browser will let you do all that without crashing! (Sometimes, some browsers cannot handle having both the "Zen Hall" and netcast running at once. Most can. )

Usually, there is no sound on in the "Zen Hall" (it would be disturbing if people had their mikes on during sitting).

Hope that is clear ... or not too unclear. 8)

By the way, we also have a "Meeting Hall" if people do want to get together in groups and have a video chat, play poker (all winnings go to charity!) or sing Karaoke. You can have your mike on there!

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/meeting-hall.php

Folks, within `10 years, we will all be sitting together as Holograms on the Treeleaf Holodeck ... mark my words! Until then, please do you best with the technology we have!

Live Long and Prosper Gassho, J

Dear Jundo and Dosho,
    Thank's both for your help, your time and especially your patience in getting me on track with this. I'm begining to see the light .. .. that is, I now know what I didn't know I did'nt know (if you know what I mean).
    Hope my frustration was not all to audible for you guys last Saturday.
    I'll just sit quitely till after my vacation(3 weeks) when my god child will help me through the splitting screen adventure.

Mucho's bows
    Nadi