Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiencing Ango - PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANGO EXPERIENCES HERE

Experiencing Ango - PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANGO EXPERIENCES HERE

NOTE FROM JUNDO - I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS THE MAIN THREAD FOR FOLKS TO POST AND SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES, AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER, DURING THIS ANGO

I direct everyone again to the original thread discussing the meaning of Ango ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1873#p26468

Gassho and Three Massive Bows to All Too!

As Tobiishi says ... its "not a competition", even as we sit and live with all our hearts.

Gassho, Jundo

Gassho and Three Massive Bows
    to all who are participating...

I'm gonna dive in and start a thread for people to comment on their ANGO experience, because I Can.

I'll go ahead and post my first impression: due to the enormous boost provided by the herd mentality, I feel great, and have abided by my personal commitments wholeheartedly so far, which are:

No beef, poultry or pork,
    Sit zazen at least 25 minutes daily,
    Added exercise on my bike
    Participate every Saturday,
    Daily metta verses plus good thoughts toward people I don't like...

Please feel free to comment on your own commitments and/or experience... and keep in mind, this is NOT a competition!

Gassho and three more bows for the effort,
    Tobiishi (who is gonna make it this time, I swear )

Re: Experiencing Ango

I swear too, I'm give'n it up. Kent

Re: Experiencing Ango

Tobiishi, the should have read" I swear 'sometimes', and I'm givi'n it up".

Re: Experiencing Ango - PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANGO EXPERIENCES HERE

Giving up swearing? Hadn't thought of that one...

I'm giving up frivolous, self-indulgent, "retail therapy" purchases and trying to go a full 100 days without raising my voice in anger (or acting out in any other way). A tall order, but I'm hopeful, and I know the practice will be good, no matter the outcome.

Also, sitting 20 mins each day, twice when possible, and exercising regularly, in addition to the list Jundo posted.

Gassho,
    Kevin

Hi.

First i thought of giving up Internet and blogging/forums, but then i had to reconsider...

Well, since january i have been trying to live more "in the spirit that came up from the ANGO", give up on something, practice more and be more here and with others, so this is more like an extension.
    And to add, i started with the "ANGO" a little earlier, namely 1 august, when i and Filur moved to the new apartment.
    Seemed like an "good startingpoint".
    I am currently sitting at least one sitting (trying for two, one in the morning/at work and one at home), not viewing TV (except when Filur is around), Not drinking alcohol, trying to excersise some, and use the bicycle more, and some other things.

All is going well, it's just adding to what i already did.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

In honor of the first day of Ango and my practice, I will do a mid-day 30 min sitting in addition to my normal am/pm.

Fran

I didn't ask to have my name added to the scroll in Treeleaf, but I'm going to try to participate nonetheless.

I'm going to add an AM sitting, metta verse practice, and daily exercise. I like Kevin's idea of going 100 days without raising my voice in anger or otherwise acting out, so I'm going to take that up too. I'm also going to try eating mindfully -- right now I pretty much shovel everything down as fast as it will go in.

Did Jundo post a link to Instructions for the Cook? I found it on Google, but I'd like to study the same translation as the rest of the group.

Sincerely,
    Fran

Hi,

I will post the text of Instructions for the Cook when we begin to look at that, during the coming week.

Let me also post here a short chant to recite, orally or within, before meals. You may also add to it, or write your own ...

(Hands in Gassho) This food comes from the efforts
    of all sentient beings past and present,
    and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice.
    We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
    to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
    and to all life in every realm of existence.
    May all sentient beings in the universe
    be sufficiently nourished.

Let me also add that the entire experience of Ango is much like sewing a Rakusu (for those who have or will do so). It is not a matter of finishing, achieving something or winning a race. There is no "finish line" at the end of 100 days. It is just this moment, and this moment and this moment. This stitch, and this stitch, followed by this stitch.

We try to be diligent and careful --but-- if we do slip and fall ...... we simply dust ourselves off, get up, and continue on. In other words, try not to fall off the horse. But if you do fall off at some point, just get back on.

The point is the journey, not merely the destination. In fact, the journey is the destination. 8)

AGAIN: COMMIT TO WHAT YOU CAN (BE REALISTIC ABOUT YOUR VOWS) ... AND STICK WITH IT.

Gassho, Jundo

Hello all,

_/_

Okay, Ango here we go! I commit to the following:

* sit at least 25-30 minutes everday
    * add another sitting in the evening each day
    * give up peanut butter for the 100-day period - I'm slightly addicted to the stuff
    * limit my use of (excesses of) food, money, water (for bathing), and television
    * sit with each Saturday Zazenkai - the recorded version, as Saturdays are filled with sports
    * volunteer to help in my kids' school as much as they need me
    * perform samu on a daily basis
    * participate in and study readings and discussions on Treeleaf
    * I already volunteer for Literacy Volunteers - but I will be mindful when preparing my lessons for my student and be mindful during our tutoring sessions
    * be a better listener
    * sit the 2-day Rohatsu retreat

I look forward to this time of deepening my practice with all of you.

Gassho,
    Kelly (Jinmei)

Hi all. Just sharing my commitments:

- Sit 20 minutes each day.
    - Read some Dharma each day.
    - Give up complaining. (This will be my most challenging vow.)
    - Give up eating at restaurants during lunch breaks. (Pack myself a lunch every day instead of eating at restaurants.)
    - Participate in the Saturday morning sits (Some live, some I will have to participate in the recorded versions.)

Thank you for the opportunity to practice.

The point is the journey, not merely the destination. In fact, the journey is the destination. 8)
    In Donald Miller's newest book, he quotes someone on this topic to the more specific point: Searching for the meaning of life changes you... the point of life is not the meaning, but the change.

Ango will change all of us. I would suggest there is no meaning to it, but an underlying current of possible change. When Ango is finished, it ceases to exist. The ways in which it changes us will endure, in the sense that anything does.

Gassho
    Tobi

(ps- does anyone happen to know the term for a gassho with fingertips touching the forehead? I've lost the reference, but I do it all the time and would like to know!)

Hi all,

In addition to Jundo's suggested commitments (participation, daily sit-a-long, Saturday sits, etc.), my specific Ango commitments are:

- Two 20 minute (or longer) sits per day.
    - Give up chocolate and peanut butter (this will be v. hard as a spoonful of peanut butter studded with vegan chocolate chips is a staple in our house :shock: ).
    - Donate several hours of my time per week to my local food bank (I start this week) and increase our monthly financial contribution to same.
    - Daily dharma study.
    - On 8/1 James and I committed to avoid purchasing anything new for one year, except for essentials (food) or replacing a broken item needed for daily household operation (like a stove or fridge). I'm reaffirming that commitment here.

I look forward to this journey with everyone.

Gassho, Jean

Myoshin

First impressions.

Well I must say today has been rather hectic it was move in day for college freshmen. I must say college is nothing that I expected it to be. It was cool though to see that my roommate had a few Buddhist books, so it provides a bit of understanding of why I will be sitting on a round black cushion for a period of time. I am going to try to stay on track with Ango, but it is going to be tough with these classes and such. I will do my best, on and off the zafu. Besides memorizing enzymes and other fun biological elements is part of our practice as well. So I wish everyone a good Ango!

Deep Gassho,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiishi

(ps- does anyone happen to know the term for a gassho with fingertips touching the forehead? I've lost the reference, but I do it all the time and would like to know!)
    Hi Tob,

I am not sure what you are describing. Maezumi Roshi wrote this on the most common forms of Gassho, They vary based on formaility and setting (for example, a formal greeting or just meeting someone passing in a hall, to someone higher or lower than one in the Monastery pecking order, whether meant for a ceremony and having symbolic meaning, etc.) ...

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Note ... zumi_Roshi

I'm doing that asked by Jundo. Three 30 minute sittings a day (except on Saturdays where my middle sit while be the zazenkai). Trying to cut down on more frivolous spending. Taking on more tasks at work as I'm available( such as helping someone else instead of rushing to get my clean up/restock done). Giving up beer and energy drinks. Starting monday on my day off I'll add excercise( have some nice Qi Gong DVD's around the house). Going veggie. And trying to relax more at work, letting other folks be themselves and not giving my bosses lip when stupid shit comes out of their mouths. Also trying to refrain from negative speech as best I can. which means not using the f-bomb in every other sentence. Not teasing co-workers etc. and pretty much trying to keep in the spirit of Ango and Zen in general.

Today went pretty well. I found myself buying a pack of smokes, had two beers and an energy drink LOL. but wanted to get it out of my system as Ango just started today. Got a lil edgy at work towards the end...found myself ditched again. But was able to shake it off almost as soon as I got out the door.

Hi all,

My Ango commitments:

-Sit zazen for 30 minutes, twice a day
    -Wake up and recite our metta verse, with nurturing seeds as necessary
    -Participate in the forum as I have done
    -Work on my kesa when I have a break from childcare
    -Give up mindless watching of tv, excessive browsing of the internet, and sweets
    -Try to watch the daily sit a longs on the day they are posted and participate in zazenkai live when possible
    -Be generous with time and what little funds I do have
    -Pause, breathe, and think before eating, sleeping, reacting, speaking, typing, and just about everything else

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi All!

My commitments for the Ango are :

* Sit Zazen at least 25min twice a day
    * Sit with each Saturday Zazenkai (recorded or live version)
    * Chant before eating
    * sanpai each day as a kind of refuge
    * Be more present on the forum especialy the threads linked to the Ango
    * Weekly Dharma study in addition to the one we all got together
    * Sit at least once the 2 days recorded retreat
    * Work daily sewing a rakusu
    * Quit smoking
    * Be aware of my anger

It might be just a few things, but I think I can stick to them...

Gassho to everyone!

Luis

For me right now, being on time for the Zazenkai and what not is enough.

Already started cutting stuff out of daily necessities, so I'll work on keeping the whole Ango thing steady. Missed Saturday Zazenkai. Good start.

List begin and added if necessary:

1. Some Metta
    2. Watch only one movie at a time.
    3. Increase better posture when doing stuff.

_/_

I guess I'll join in, too:

* I will add a second 25 minute zazen session each day
    * I will use the metta verse before each zazen period
    * I will work on my rakusu daily
    * I will give up the snacks we often keep in the break room at work
    * I will stop using Ebay for the period of the ango
    * I will begin setting aside donations of money and items/food/bedding/toys for the no-kill animal shelter in the city where I work (I've been meaning to for some time, this gives me the motivation to get moving on it)

thank you, everyone

Kevin

Hello dear Treeleafers,

I would like to share my Ango commitments with you:

- Sit zazen for 30 minutes, twice a day if possible
    - Add Metta Verse Practice and Nurturing Seeds Practice to my routine each day
    - Try Social Media Detox, give up using Facebook daily, meet people face to face instead
    - Try to watch the daily sit a longs on the day they are posted and participate in zazenkai live when possible
    - Do Samu, daily, mindfully
    - Do not rise my voice
    - Give up buiyng unnecesarry luxury products, in my case cosmetics
    - Give up swearing
    - Participate in and study readings and discussions on Treeleaf

Gassho,
    Agata

Hi,

I've just finished participating in the first Ango Zazenkai. Wonderful - thank you.

Gassho
    Bansho

JAK

My specific commitments for this Ango are:

* Participate in all the Saturday/2 day/Ango sessions (live if possible - recorded if not)
    * Sit Zazen at least 15 minutes per day
    * Silent chant/gratefulness before eating
    * No soda or eating out at work during the Ango (This will be the biggest challenge of the whole period)
    * Daily Metta and Nurturing Seeds practice
    * Participate in Jukai preparations (Rakusu sewing/precepts study)
    * Daily effort towards making all work Samu practice
    * Active participation in the forums (no more lurking)
    * Keep a daily journal of the experience - noting all feelings/attitudes/level of interest

I am treating this Ango as an opportunity to really get back to basics and be serious about my practice. In our hectic lives it is too easy to become mechanical about sitting/bowing/chanting and for me at least, this is a fantastic opportunity to start fresh and really get back to beginners mind.

My deepest and most sincere Gassho to everyone who is participating and especially Jundo for providing this opportunity in spite of what the critics say :wink:

Really encouraged and inspired by everyone's commitments. Way to go!

*sit 30 min a day
    *Dharma study on a daily basis
    *mindful eating (at least once a day using the "How is hungry in there?" exercise from the Trycycle Magazine and available for download as a podcast)
    *include metta practice (use the time on a commuter train)
    *offer pro-bono (creativity) coaching sessions to the community, with focus on students and artists posting the ads in the places I frequent and want to support
    *give up coffee and luxury consumption
    *spend more time with the Sangha (this one!)
    *take part in Saturday zazenkais,live or through recordings
    *chant the Heart Sutra a few times a day (Will, how can I download the song without signing up to soundclick?)
    *try to be as honest and true with myself
    *be more generous with my time and check in with friends more often (set aside 10-15 min a day for a phone call of an email)
    *call my folks every Sunday
    *find the edge and work it

Good luck everyone! Practice well!

Gassho,

Irina

Hello everyone,

I am sharing my Ango commitments with you all:

-Eat mindfully
    - Add Metta Verse and Nurturing seeds daily
    - Add the meal chant
    - Sit for 20 minutes daily
    - Stop raising my voice
    - Stop cussing
    - Cut back on my PC time
    - Stop using Amazon for pointless luxury items

Gassho,
    Paula

Hi All,

I too am sharing my Ango commitments:

- Eat mindfully & drink more water
    - Add Metta verse and Nurturing seeds daily
    - Add the meal chant
    - Sit for a mid-day session in addition to the 20 minutes AM/PM daily
    - Stop raising my voice
    - Stop swearing
    - Cut back on my PC time
    - eliminate frivolous purchases
    - Samu at local zen center & food bank
    - participate in Jukai preperations & Rakusu sewing
    - sit for all Saturday zazenkai live.

Gassho,

Linda W

Gassho...

While reading all these commitments, it occurs to me that most of our days are going to be filled with reminders of our practice- every time we turn down a drink, stop ourselves from shouting, eat a carrot, sit... and I was reminded of the lyrics for the Alan Ginsberg song "Gospel Noble Truths" that was posted on another thread a day or two ago. It might be worth your time to keep these in mind as you go through your (extra mindful) day...

'...work like the sun
    breathe when you breathe
    walk where you walk
    talk when you talk
    cry when you cry
    look where you look
    hear what you hear
    taste what you taste
    smell what you smell
    touch whom you touch
    think what you think...'

Do one thing, and do it with all your attention. You're going to get sick of eating vegetables without a side order of ribeye- so when you put the food in your mouth and chew it, just only do that, even if for ten seconds, and everything changes. When you look at your spouse, just look without thinking about anything. See them. Be present in every moment, and every moment becomes unique, and when its gone you've lost it and will never have it again.

gassho
    tobiishi

Pasang

Thanks for quoting those lyrics which to me sum it all up-peace Joyce

Very encouraging start!

My commitments for Ango are:

*Sit Zazen 30 minutes per day
    *Do at least one 2 hour sit per week
    *Practice the meal chant
    *Be less sarcastic (especially at work)
    *Cut back the caffeine (no more coffee) and alcohol (one beer a week)
    *Watch the sit-alongs and participate in the zazenkais
    *Smile more often
    *Limit internet browsing

Ron

Hello everybody! I hope everyone had a good day. It’s been an interesting couple of days. I did my first Saturday sit along and I am happy about that. Being a new meditator, I have learned that my mind doesn’t like for me to sit for 40 minutes yet Although I have added 5 more minutes to my regular sitting. My mind did everything it could to distract me. Creating itches and pains . I also found my self very anxious and irritated for a while, but I continued any way. I am glad I did. Today, I found the nurturing seeds practice very helpful. I was able to experience this practice many times. I am looking forward to more learning and exploration. Well, I guess that’s about it for now. I hope everyone has a good evening?
    Gassho,
    Jeff

OK then.

Here are my Ango sacrifices:
    1) No anger (OK, how about just not getting on the hate train when it pulls into the station?)
    2) Less talking. No useless chatter. (In fact, consider me aiming to uphold all of Dogen's suggestions in Hachi Dainingaku...)
    3) (This is a big one for me, folks) No alcohol.

May all of you achieve your goals and intensify your practice.
    Peace,
    -K2
    _/_

Experience:

No Ustream here. Blocked.

Gassho

Who is hungry in there?: Exercise in mindful eating

Dear Leefers,

For those interested in cultivating mindful eating, maybe this exercise that Trycycle magazine podcasted can be of help? It offers a good structure for accessing the hunger at different stages and also allows to bring attention to the food itself. I decided to take it one step at a time and eat mindfully at least once a day to start with. Just taking in the colors and the smell for a while makes me fuller faster (or else it gives me a paus necessary to actually realise that I've had enough )!

You can download it in audioform subscribing to their podcasts via iTunes or other podcatcher. I transcribed it for convenience (see below).

Who is hungry in there?

In this exercise we access the seven different kinds of hunger.

Preparation: sit down with some food in front of you. The amount of food does not matter (it can be a whole meal, it could be one cracker). Start by doing it alone, so you don’t feel awkward. Do this exercise at least once a day until it become a second nature.

Each of the seven hungers is associated with different parts of the body. In ME (Mindful eating) before we eat or drink we look inward and we ask each of this body parts if they are hungry. If the answer is Yes then we ask that part how hungry it is on the scale of 0 (Not interested at all) to 10 (Famished). The parts of the body that we look at are the eyes, the nose, the mouth, the stomach, the body or the cells, the mind, and the heart.

Begin by sitting down with some food in from of you. Take a deep breath and relax a bit.
    Before you begin eating we are going to access the seven types of hunger.

Eye hunger:

Take the food in with the eyes. Look at the colors and shapes of the food, notice surface textures, areas of light and dark. Now ask the eyes how hungry are they for this food. On the scale of 0 (Not interested) to 10 (I ma going to eat it right now) how would you rate your eyes’ hunger? Do you have a number?

Next you access Nose hunger:

Smelle the fragrance of the food. You may have to lean down or pick up the plate. Don’t be embarrassed. Then move away to refresh your nose and then come back to the food to sniff it two or three times. Now access nose hunger on a scale 0 to 10. You have a number?

Mouth hunger:

Before you eat this food can you tell how hungry the mouth is to taste it? Put your awareness in the mouth and rate moth hunger from 0 (Not interested) to 10 (I’ll eat it right now).

Stomach hunger
    :

Try to put your awareness in the stomach and feel and rate how hungry your stomach is right now. Is it not interested (0) or is it telling you it is starving (10)?

Body hunger:

As you look at this food can you investigate how hungry the cells of your body are just now?
    Bring your awareness in the whole of your body and rate the body’s hungry from 0 to 10.

Mind hunger:

Can you hear what the mind is telling you about this food or this meal? Remember that the mind often speaks in “Should it”/”Should not eat” phrases. Can you rate the mind’s hunger on the scale from 0 (Should not eat it) to 10 (Must eat it!)?

Heart hunger:

Ask your hunger how hungry it is to eat this food. Heart hunger is related to feelings. Rate heart hunger from 0 to 10. For example 10 might be (“I may not feel happy if I eat this. I might even feel anxious if I eat it”). And 10 might be “This food will make me feel comfortable and at ease”.

Before you start eating you also might investigate thirst. On a scale from 0 to 10 how thirsty
    are you right now?

Ok, now that you’ve assessed the seven hungers and thirst you are ready to begin eating and drinking. Half way through the meal stop again and do a quick assessment of the seven hungers and assess thirst again. When you finished the meal pause for a moment and do the assessment of the seven hungers again.

_ _ _

If some of the questions make no sense or if you don’t feel response when you ask about a certain hunger Don’t Worry! Just the questions and be open to any answers that might or might not arise. Once you learn to investigate who inside you is hungry and make it a regular routine to stop and ask the questions before you eat, then you can make a more informed decisions about whether to eat or not. Only food and drink will satisfy stomach and cellular hunger. However there are many alternatives to food for satisfying the other five types of hunger. If want to feel satisfied and eat the appropriate amount, we need to learn to take food in through all the sense doors, becoming awake to the color, the fragrance, the texture, the taste, the temperature, and even the sound of our food. And if we want to be content in this moment and to be nourished by whatever comes into our life, we also might find ways to feed not only our body but also our heart.

Gassho,

Irina

Hi Irena,
    This is muchly appreciated, and from what I read I imagine a good help in bringing awareness into, and automatism out of eating.
    I had already committed to eating no more then I 'need', useing the point where automatic urges pull me towards 'more' to discover what's behind. I'm starting with one week of eating only fruit and slowly including other foodstufs .... it's going well. So thank you! this gives a kick start and plenty of food for enquiry.

While I'm here .. my further commitments are, to;
    Sit daily
    Sit live on Saturday (if humanly possible)
    Read and study 'Mind of Clover' with this seasons Jukai folk.
    Not despair at my ignorance of computer and internet stuff and make effort in that direction till my (virtual) contact with the Sangha is optimal.

Wishing you all strength and foreberance in your undertakings.
    Gassho
    Nadi

"Irina"

Gassho N.

Dear Sangha sisters and brothers,
    I don't have a list or any Ango goals to post here. During Ango and beyond I will continue to live simply by following the Middle Way in all my daily activities and twice daily Zazen practice.

In Gassho,
    Jintai

My Ango pledge

Less Facebook more Treeleaf
    Add second meditation session in the evening - 20 minutes
    Eat mindfully & slim!
    Make my prison work more effective.

Gasso,
    Daiku

Sat in the Zen hall yesterday morning with ZenDave, and this morning as well. Find the computer distracting at first but enjoy the community when someone joins in. Addressed my lower back pain in another post. My dog is joining me often for morning sits (she thinks they're morning naps). So far so good!

Shinkai, you can just call me Dave. ZenDave is what happened when i discovered Dave was taken and i had a non-creative moment. : )

Not much of a noteworthy experience, but I thought I'd share... a couple of nights ago, my first zazen sitting since the ango started got off to a rocky start. I hurt my back at work a while ago, and take an occasional muscle relaxer when I go to bed. They can make me a bit dizzy, so I wait til after zazen to take them. I got the pill out and put it and a vitamin in a little plastic lid on the bathroom counter, so when I was finished I could just go in, take them, and then go right to bed. Now, my cat finds this whole zazen thing fascinating...not only do I have to spend the first few minutes getting my mind to settle down a little, but the cat's got to take a few minutes to settle in, too. Usually, I'm able to ignore her and let her putter around and do her cat-thing. This night, though, I heard a clicking noise and then some smacking-lips noises coming from the bathroom...just like the sound a cat would make if she knocked something...like a small plastic lid with pills in it...into the sink, and then started eating them! So I jump up and rush in there, picturing having to rush a cat to the emergency vet clinic in the middle of the night for eating Soma...and find the pills were fine and she was just licking water up from the sink!

So I kinda did one and a half zazen sessions that night.

Hi,

My commitments for the Ango are :

- Zazen at least 25min twice a day
    - Zazenkai (recorded or live version)
    * Chant before eating ( outloud or not)
    * Insert metta practice
    * Sit the 2 days retreat
    * Work daily sewing a rakusu
    * Quit using sugar and not buying new books but read those that are unread waiting in my library
    * Be mindful while eating and leave no traces ( clean up rubbish that spreads around my place)
    * Write to my foster kid in Haiti at least twice and enrol for a second child to support

Gassho

Joris

elo,

sit everyday.
    sit 2x daily for 30min
    lay off tv
    lay off gum ( replaced a habit for another habit :X)
    be more present in a lot of ways... when with my family ill be with my family when at work ill focus on work etc.
    read a min. 1hour.
    whine less
    catch the zazenkai on Saturdays (most will have to be recorded)
    sit the Wednesday night sitting in the zen hall
    Chant the meal sutra and cut out the things im supposed to have cut out for health reasons and pack my lunch. (sheesh im dense)
    work on sewing a new kesa
    stick to it

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by kfrance0
    Not much of a noteworthy experience, but I thought I'd share... a couple of nights ago, my first zazen sitting since the ango started got off to a rocky start. I hurt my back at work a while ago, and take an occasional muscle relaxer when I go to bed. They can make me a bit dizzy, so I wait til after zazen to take them. I got the pill out and put it and a vitamin in a little plastic lid on the bathroom counter, so when I was finished I could just go in, take them, and then go right to bed. Now, my cat finds this whole zazen thing fascinating...not only do I have to spend the first few minutes getting my mind to settle down a little, but the cat's got to take a few minutes to settle in, too. Usually, I'm able to ignore her and let her putter around and do her cat-thing. This night, though, I heard a clicking noise and then some smacking-lips noises coming from the bathroom...just like the sound a cat would make if she knocked something...like a small plastic lid with pills in it...into the sink, and then started eating them! So I jump up and rush in there, picturing having to rush a cat to the emergency vet clinic in the middle of the night for eating Soma...and find the pills were fine and she was just licking water up from the sink!

So I kinda did one and a half zazen sessions that night.
    Cats are great teachers. So are pill bottles and accidents at work. We sit with all of those, even when rushing to the emergency clinic.

It is all only One Grand Zazen Session!

Hello everyone,

Good to hear about your experiences. Here is a few points from me so far.

* The whole giving up stuff things (coffee and alcoholfor me which was an occasional glass of good wine to go with a fantastic meal that i really enjoyed) I choose to see in terms of what I get instead of what I don't get. When it comes to coffee I get positive health effects and do not pollute the system. Instead I use green teas and enjoy a cup much longer than I enjoy a cup of espresso. This is a plus!

I miss wine more than I thought I would. It is so much about sharing a good meal with friends, the amazing smell and the memories of the warm and distant places wine awokes...

*I find the motivation to sit much stronger these days even though my dream of shared sitting with someone in the Zen hall has not come true - the time difference is an obsticle. :roll: I know I sit with all of you. Sometimes cats sit with me, too.

*Found a little article in Trycycle magazine on how to tune up the meditation practice:
    http://www.tricycle.com/feature/meditators-toolbox

Gassho,

Irina

frogman

Hello everyone,

I noticed others have posted that they will not be purchasing any luxury items. I thought this was great and have decided to add this to some of the goals I am trying to accomplish for Ango.

This has been a big relief. I now have a full 100 days of not "working" towards a big purchase. No more comparing reviews on the internet, trying to find the best price or trying to figure out where I am going to get the extra cash. At first I thought this was going to be a sacrifice, but it's quite the opposite.

Anybody else feel the same?

gassho,

Bryan

I am commitiing to 25 min. zazen daily with 10 min mette zazen in evening. Meal chant, giving up chocolate and working on being a better wife and Mom. -Andrea

OMG@ cat and soma. I had to take those as well as vicodin by prescription for about a around 3 years. Soma would flatten me ( or if i stayed awake i would spout absolute gibberish that sounded completely like sane conversation until someone in the family suggested it was bed time). I couldn't begin to imagine how it would be for kitties. On the plus side, it's non-narcotic.

Hi Nadi,

Thank YOU for sharing. About food and "taking more than I need". I enjoy making food but eat very fast at work and at home which means I seldom get a chance to realise the moment when I am full. Mindful eating helps to create some space for actually asessing the hunger and also appreciating the food itself and the work of the people who made it possible for me to enjoy it. But it also means I have to make some space for the eating itself. Just eating.

Good luck and let's see how our inquieries go. :-)

Greetz,

Irina

Quote Originally Posted by Bids
    Hi Irena,
    This is muchly appreciated, and from what I read I imagine a good help in bringing awareness into, and automatism out of eating.
    I had already committed to eating no more then I 'need', useing the point where automatic urges pull me towards 'more' to discover what's behind. I'm starting with one week of eating only fruit and slowly including other foodstufs .... it's going well. So thank you! this gives a kick start and plenty of food for enquiry.

While I'm here .. my further commitments are, to;
    Sit daily
    Sit live on Saturday (if humanly possible)
    Read and study 'Mind of Clover' with this seasons Jukai folk.
    Not despair at my ignorance of computer and internet stuff and make effort in that direction till my (virtual) contact with the Sangha is optimal.

Wishing you all strength and foreberance in your undertakings.
    Gassho
    Nadi

Hi Bryan,

Definately! I cannot really afford luxury items this months so this is not my first priority but I noticed that having a limited amount of money was also a relief as you wrote because it made life simpler. Yet nothing changed :-).

I noticed that it is easier for me to think of these commitments not as goals (then I feel there is some tension arising) but rather as results.
    CVongratulation on not having to do so much stuff! What are you going to use that energy and time for instead if you don't mind my asking?

Gassho,

Irina

Quote Originally Posted by frogman
    Hello everyone,

This has been a big relief. I now have a full 100 days of not "working" towards a big purchase. No more comparing reviews on the internet, trying to find the best price or trying to figure out where I am going to get the extra cash. At first I thought this was going to be a sacrifice, but it's quite the opposit

Anybody else feel the same?

gassho,

Bryan

Hi Everyone,

Very happy to be sitting with you on this Ango.

I commit to:
    sitting 25 minutes every day
    reciting the meal gatha
    undertaking the metta practice
    participating in jukai
    sewing a rakusu
    participating in the weekly retreat
    using resources wisely
    participate in the forums

Gassho
    Brian

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast