Thread: A question about bowing

A question about bowing

I apologize in advance if I am asking a redundant and/or silly question, but I have a question about bowing times during Zazenkai. The opening and closing three bows are no problem, but I noticed Jundo bowing once in between. Is that for him alone, or should that be followed as well. If not, should I stand in shashu or in gassho as he does this? Thank you in advance for your time and kindness.

Gassho, T

Re: A question about bowing

Quote Originally Posted by T.L.Wolf
    I apologize in advance if I am asking a redundant and/or silly question, but I have a question about bowing times during Zazenkai. The opening and closing three bows are no problem, but I noticed Jundo bowing once in between. Is that for him alone, or should that be followed as well. If not, should I stand in shashu or in gassho as he does this? Thank you in advance for your time and kindness.

Gassho, T
    Hi,

I have not been so insistent on folks following a single "Right Way of Acting", as in Japan (which, by the way, varies quite a bit from temple to temple, Zen Group to Group ... but that is another story. Every place claims to follow "tradition", every place is a bit unique). Best rule anywhere when visiting a new Sangha: "When in Rome do as the Romans do").

But, let me set out some basic procedures, and perhaps post these permanently ... (for folks with particular physical circumstances and needs, feel free to change anything to fit those circumstances!)

ENTERING THE ZEN HALL (THE ROOM FOR SITTING) ...

As you enter the room, be in Shashu (see discussion on Kinhin procedure, if not familiar with hand position known as Shashu: http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafze...retreat-4.html ) and step forward with your left foot at the left side of the entrance. When leaving the zendo, step out with your right foot at the same side of the entrance.

After entering the hall, bow in gassho toward the Buddha/Bodhisattva statue or image (or equivalent) you have in your room ....

and go to your seat. If possible, you should refrain from "short cutting" diagonally across the room directly to one's seat, but should walk along the borders of the wall. Also if possible, avoid to walk directly in front of the Buddha statue (but if you have to walk in front of the Buddha, stop briefly, offer Gassho to the Buddha, return to Shashu and continue to your sitting place). Here is a diagram for a formal Zen Hall, to give you an idea ...

When you arrive at your sitting place, bow in Gassho toward your cushion, turn around clockwise, make Gassho towards the center of the room.

Remain standing in Shashu at your place for the ceremony ( if arriving well before the ceremony, you can sit and wait. If already seated, rise when the ceremony is starting) and face the altar (the ceremony altar on your computer screen or the one in your room ... I leave that up to you, whichever is most natural).

Stand quietly with hands in shashu until the bell ringer starts the “ring down” on the inkin (the ringing on the little hand bell that gets faster and faster), to signal the first full bows (prostrations). Make three full bows facing the altar. (If not sure how to bow that way, see this talk http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafze...retreat-3.html. If there is some physical or personal reason not to prostrate, a simple Gassho can be substituted. However, there is greatness in the humility of the prostration.)

Remain standing during the ceremony, pick up Sutra book (which you can print out and make yourself). The formal way to hold a sutra book is shown here (pinky and thumb on one side, other three finger stuck together on the front side).

Try to hold it high, in front o:f the face, at nose level ... not down by your chest.

During the chanting of the Heart Sutra,, you can just remain standing in this position, joining in the chant. Jundo will do all the bowing for everyone here.

After the chant, during the "Dedication" (between the words "we dedicate our sincere efforts to" and ""whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid bow slightly at the waste (while holding the Sutra book in the above position).

At the end of the Dedication, there will be another "ring down" of the Inkin hand bell. Place the Sutra Book down (on the ground, if necessary, but with a cloth underneath so that it does not touch the ground directly), and stand in Gassho. Make 3 Prostrations again.

When Jundo announces Zazen ...

... hands in Gassho, turn clockwise to face your cushion, Gassho bow to cushion, fluff cushion (while rotating 360 degrees clockwise). Replace cushion. Return to Gassho, turn clockwise to face into room, Gassho toward room. Sit.

Sitting procedure will vary depending on such things as whether you are facing the wall, facing into the room See this recent discussion of that topic ...

viewtopic.php?p=21769#p21769

I will leave the actual procedure for getting down to the floor up to you. One thing is, if using a Zafu, make sure that when you are seated the strap of the Zafu aligns with the spine (the white spots in this picture) ...

Did I miss any point?

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks thats really useful

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    [

Remain standing during the ceremony, pick up Sutra book (which you can print out and make yourself).
    have you got a link? most of the stuff online is in a4/lettersized formats and i would end up holding a huge stack of papers that would be impossible to hold.

Thank you

Thank you very much. The Zendo I'd attended did do things a little differently (sometimes, I could swear it was slightly different every time. HA!) so for me the explanation is very helpful. Thank you again for your time.
    Gassho, T

Quote Originally Posted by mum21andtwins
    Thanks thats really useful

[

Remain standing during the ceremony, pick up Sutra book (which you can print out and make yourself).
    have you got a link? most of the stuff online is in a4/lettersized formats and i would end up holding a huge stack of papers that would be impossible to hold.

Thank you
    Hi,

This should be the book ...

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com/TR ... HLYRET.pdf

it is thank you!
    My printer apperantly has a handy booklet setting so I will be able to print and bind it neatly