Thread: Flakey McFlakerson rides again.

Flakey McFlakerson rides again.

I feel like a bit of a flake . . . seem to keep running in cycles of hot and cold with my practice, really been distracted and focusing on other endeavors for the better part of a year.

Not trying to judge this, it's just what it is. In my heart of hearts I have faith in the Dharma and would like to be more active/involved in practice. Yet at the same time I seem to always have something I'd rather be up to, of course this is a cop out.

Gonna take some baby steps here and work my way back into it. Ten minutes a day for the next week right after a little dharma reading. . . just gonna walk over to my book shelf close my eyes and randomly grab a book.

The winner is . . . . Robert Aitken, "Taking the Path of Zen"

Jeez that's damb appropriate.

Gonna check in daily or nearly daily to update this thread --- good to have a way to keep myself "on the path"

Re: Flakey McFlakerson rides again.

Hey Greg,

Nice to see you back...you were active when I first joined about a year ago, but hadn't seen much of you since. The greatest lesson I have learned thus far is how precious these moments are for returning to practice. I used to use them to berate myself for my past transgressions. How foolish! They are the greatest of moments when our attention has returned to center.

Good luck along the path.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks Dosho, really appreciate what you said -- so true, this is a great time a new opportunity.

- Greg aka "Shinko"

I think I have very little experience compared to many people on this board... but I think the best thing to do when I don't feel like doing zazen is to do zazen. At any time a person can sit in a chair, on the bench in the bus, in the movie theatre, in the barber's chair, etc. How different is it to sit zazen? Just put your butt on the zafu and sit. No pressure, no expectation. Just sit like you are going to sit anywhere else (with proper posture of course). When the timer dings or the bell rings, be glad and go on with your day. That's what I do.

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbuddha
    I think I have very little experience compared to many people on this board... but I think the best thing to do when I don't feel like doing zazen is to do zazen. At any time a person can sit in a chair, on the bench in the bus, in the movie theatre, in the barber's chair, etc. How different is it to sit zazen? Just put your butt on the zafu and sit. No pressure, no expectation. Just sit like you are going to sit anywhere else (with proper posture of course). When the timer dings or the bell rings, be glad and go on with your day. That's what I do.

Cam
    Me too.

Things are going well, still sitting daily. Doing the stretches Aitken Roshi discusses in "Taking the Path of Zen"

Even headed to a dojo this weekend for some formal practice at Valley Zendo.

That's great! Welcome back to the path; when I get lost next time I'll know who to see for a pep talk.

Dosho,

Cool. I'll strive to keep myself on track so that I can be there when you need that pep talk

Glad to see you back, Gregor.

Peace,
    Bill

Thanks Eika!

-----------------------------------

checking in here, off to sit a little before bed.

Sorta goofed up and had a glass of wine right before was not thinking of zazen when I poured it, hope it's not gonna be an issue.

Hello all,

Cam - I couldn't agree more...when I find I resist zazen, that's when I just push myself to do it anyway. I feel so much better afterwards.

Gregor - we all 'slack off' from time to time, but it is truly wonderful to come back again and again. It is great to see you again. I was wondering what you've been up to.

Gassho to you and all,
    Jinmei (Kelly)

Hi Greg,
    I am new here, and I have just come out of a period of not wanting to sit as well. I am glad to see that you have come back to it

Gassho,
    Jeff

Hi Gregor,
    Always enjoy reading your posts! I myself have a fear of someday "falling off the wagon", yet at the same time keep in mind the Heart Sutra ...
    No hindrance, therefore no fear
    Gassho,
    BrianW

but I think the best thing to do when I don't feel like doing zazen is to do zazen. At any time a person can sit in a chair, on the bench in the bus, in the movie theatre, in the barber's chair, etc. How different is it to sit zazen? Just put your butt on the zafu and sit. No pressure, no expectation. Just sit like you are going to sit anywhere else (with proper posture of course). When the timer dings or the bell rings, be glad and go on with your day. That's what I do.
    Wondefully stated. I've got to get out my journal and write that one down.

Gregor -
    Thanks for your humble posting. I am in the (exact) same boat when it comes to zazen, it really comforts me to know that I am not alone.

Kind Regards,
    Brian

late night, still some work left to do ---

Still hear still struggling to sit everyday, once I've planted myself on the cushion it's all good, simple and easy.

Sit or word processor, hmmmm?

I think I'll sit and give the resume a go in the early morning, my eyes need a rest !!

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by torotech
    but I think the best thing to do when I don't feel like doing zazen is to do zazen. At any time a person can sit in a chair, on the bench in the bus, in the movie theatre, in the barber's chair, etc. How different is it to sit zazen? Just put your butt on the zafu and sit. No pressure, no expectation. Just sit like you are going to sit anywhere else (with proper posture of course). When the timer dings or the bell rings, be glad and go on with your day. That's what I do.
    Wondefully stated. I've got to get out my journal and write that one down.

Gregor -
    Thanks for your humble posting. I am in the (exact) same boat when it comes to zazen, it really comforts me to know that I am not alone.

Kind Regards,
    Brian
    Sit zazen. With zero expectations. Mind crazy like a monkey? That's okay - that's just what's there. Sink deep into practice? That's no better or worse - it's just what's there.

Greet 'bad' practice with an open heart and mind. Greet 'deep' practice with an open heart and mind. It is all 'Buddha activity'.

Gassho

Chet

Good News -- Still Sitting

But . . . not Zazen. I'm back to Samatta / Vipassana practice.

For whatever reason I believe this is the best path for me.

Still feel a connection to the folks here, wish you all well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    Good News -- Still Sitting

But . . . not Zazen. I'm back to Samatta / Vipassana practice.

For whatever reason I believe this is the best path for me.

Still feel a connection to the folks here, wish you all well.
    Be well, Greg. Stay in touch.

Hi Greg,

Glad to hear you are sitting, regardless of the tradition. We have to follow the path wherever it leads.

Take care!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hey Jundo,

Thanks, I'll definitely be staying in touch.

Dosho,

take care yourself. Yes, I think just being on the path is the important thing. Not really too much difference between the two.