Thread: research

research

greetings,

I have found a new way to find wonderful zen books. I use abebooks.com (my favorite site for buying books although one person on treeleaf had a bad experience with their first book). Anyway, it is a good place to find out about books. So I have been noticing that many fine and rare zen books have been published by the University of Hawaii. So I went to abebooks.com, went to the "advanced search page", entered zen as the subject word and University of Hawaii as the publisher, then changed "sort by lowest price" to sort by "title A-Z" and pushed "find book". There is some amazing stuff out there, rare translations of Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese texts. There is even a translation of a Vietnamese Medieval text! (how cool is that!). Anyway, interlibrary loan is your friend for those in the US......

I plan to check "Oxford University Press" and would appreciate suggestions for other publishers.

While it is true that enlightenment can not be found outside ourselves (which seems self-evident since I am not capable of being outside myself), reading other people's understanding can be a very broadening experience (and Goddess knows my consciousness can ALWAYS use to be broadened).

gassho,
    rowan/jinho

Re: research

Hi Rowan

you might like to try these publishers out:

http://www.shambhala.com/

Kind regards

Jools

Hi,

Let me mention again this site, which is particularly good for folks (like me) outside the US ... as it includes both domestic US and international postage rates to almost all countries. It also gives the lowest price for a range of booksellers, from Abe Books to Amazon ... and NEW and USED, and some booksellers in Europe and other countries!

http://www.bookfinder.com/

It does not cover every bookseller, but I have found it very reliable the last couple of years.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Shindo
    Hi Rowan

you might like to try these publishers out:

http://www.shambhala.com/

Kind regards

Jools

Hi Jools!

Duh!!!!!! (that's a DUH for ME, considering how many Shambala books I've got!)

memory.....must get more memory.......

PS has anyone heard anything about Tanahashi's complete Shobogenzo? I heard Shambala will publish it this year.

cheers,
    rowan

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hi,

Let me mention again this site, which is particularly good for folks (like me) outside the US ... as it includes both domestic US and international postage rates to almost all countries. It also gives the lowest price for a range of booksellers, from Abe Books to Amazon ... and NEW and USED, and some booksellers in Europe and other countries!

http://www.bookfinder.com/

It does not cover every bookseller, but I have found it very reliable the last couple of years.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi Jundo,

Bookfinder may be better for you for buying, but I think abebooks.com is better for researching what exists in print because they have more parameters and more ways to sort the data (on the "advanced search page"). Also, once you have a searched list, you get the complete info for each copy of each book (at least as much info as the bookstore has put on the website). You don't have to go back and forth between web pages

I discovered that there are abebooks websites for many countries, so for instance in the UK, one should go to abebooks.co.uk. This means that prices will automatically be in yoru local currency (although it will show books from all over the world). Also, when you find a book, if you click "shipping rates" in the description of that particular book listing, the pop-up box gives you a pull down list of countries so you can choose your country and it will then recalculate the shipping costs to your country from wherever the bookseller is. (Ok so I admit it, I love abebooks.

cheers,
    Rowan/Jinho
    who has three books ordered on interlibrary loan and is VERY excited!

Hi Rowan - no problem
    I am currently reading Being Zen by Ezra Bayda from Shambhala. He is a student of Charlotte Joko Beck & I am finding this book very helpful in working through some work issues which I am finding scary at the moment (I am so out of my depth I need a snorkel )
    Best wishes
    Jools