Thread: who is who?

who is who?

This is a picture taken by Michael. Michael was a famous blogger and sitter and he died from a very rare form of cancer two years ago. i was very lucky to be one of his friends.You may read his prose and poetry and get to know better this great guy. Just a few days before his death, he received Jukai in the Soto tradition.
    http://ohenrosan.blogspot.com/
    The reason I wanted you to have a look at this picture is that it conveys precisely what happens in front of Buddha statues. You see, many people visit Kyoto temples and old Japanese relics and they have various reasons: interested in history, beauty, plain bored, greedy tourists, fed up teenagers with their school teachers,noisy old ladies...they all look at the Buddha not fully realizing that the Buddha is looking at them, that these statues are simple mirrors reflecting the original face of every single human being passing by. It is so beautiful sometimes to watch in a place like Sanjusangendo a long file of standing Kannons being looked at by a long file of living Kannons oblivious of who they are in the first place. The true Kannons are not the one you would assume...

Attached files

Re: who is who?

Taigu and all,

Thank you for sharing Michael's story with us. What a journey he must have had...and what a person!

The photo of Buddha is breathtaking...I feel as if the Buddha is gazing upon me each time I look into the eyes of my children.

Gassho,
    Kelly (Jinmei)