Thread: the true Peak experience

the true Peak experience

In Fukan Zazengi, Eihei Dogen has a beautiful way to express the action of just sitting: shinjin datsuraku: to cast off body and mind, Body and mind spontaneously drop off. Think about a leaf falling off a tree, a fruit off a branch, think about rain, think about the graceful hand of a child finding yours, think about the perfect and easy wee too.Originally, the true face is with us, the true face is us. Prior to education, emotional trauma, before the wounds and false beliefs ( I am this, I am that, and they are... ). When the identification process ceases, when one drops the idea of this and that, the dual picture of body and mind, the I returns to the source. The mountain sitting and walking and lying and snoring is perfectly as-it-is, complete without having to add and extra: have a look at meeeeee! Let us experience the peak and let go of peak experiences!
    A poem of the wild Li Po, a wandering poet as ungraspable as mists, as fleeting as this moment. What is it about? Well, let us read it and sit it. Let us answer without opening our mouth.

Zazen on Ching-t'ing Mountain

The birds have vanished from the sky
    Now the last cloud drains away

We sit together
    The mountain and me
    until only the mountain remains

disastermouse

Re: the true Peak experience

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Let us experience the peak and let go of peak experiences!
    Peak experiences hardly have to be let go - they disappear all by themselves (but where do they go?). Really, it's just our attachment - the act of hanging on that must go - regardless of peak experiences.

That's people who've HAD peak experiences. Those who seek peak experiences having never had them, I often wonder what mental ghost it is they are seeking. So often, the only thing that gets in the way is the idea, 'It can't just be this - it must be something else!'

IMHO,

Chet

Absolutely agree, Chet! It is what I meant by the use of "and": when sitting, they go. I haven't been bothered by a single one for so many years now.

One day I hope to have the wisdom you two possess on such things. *gassho*

Dave

You already have !

gassho

Taigu

Actually, I had a bit of a "peak" last night reading Taigu's post & poem ... no kidding.

until only the mountain remains ... until not even that ... until we all return ...

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    You already have !

gassho

Taigu
    Beat me to it!

Gassho.

Chet