Thread: Reminder about SAMU DANA by Jundo

Reminder about SAMU DANA by Jundo

Hi,

A post by Dave made me think to offer a reminder about both Samu and Dana, two vital aspects of our practice:

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDave

I have seen the Metta practice on this forum but was trying to get used to shikantaza a lil more before adding to my daily practice. But what are Samu and Dana?( a new thread maybe? )
    I have done some talks about Samu in the past, all vanished. One that I thought survived is that one that I did for the Zazenkai and talks about the attitude of Samu ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/library/zazenka ... php?page=5

I will try to do another one in the next day or so (cause I just happen to have lots of work in the garden that has to be done around here)!! :?

Samu is vital to Practice. In fact, Samu --IS-- "working Zazen"!

I believe it is important that the work you pick for daily Samu should be something you mentally resist a little. If you hate washing the dishes or washing the bathroom in your house, that is excellent Samu ... because a large part of our practice is, of course, learning to drop resistance and drop "likes" and "dislikes", and just to be present with how things are. Samu does not have to be something outside of our normal life though, and if you are busy with a job in the office or factory or taking care of home, well, just pick something in those places that you mentally resist. Samu should perhaps last an half hour or hour at least, so for overworked people, you can select things within your existing duties at home and work. Excellent Samu! If we clean the floors, for example, silence is usually an important part of it. Also, dropping likes and dislikes: We wash the floor DILIGENTLY and CAREFULLY, but without any thought of "clean" "unclean" or a goal. Tricky, but it can be done on the "simultaneously true" channels we practice here.

I strongly encourage community volunteer work as Samu, for those who can make the time. I have not been too insistent on people doing "Samu" work practice at Treeleaf, but I think I should crack the whip a little. If someone will do community volunteer work, preferably, it should be hands on actually helping people in need like the sick or elderly or kids in need (not just folding envelopes) However, for those already loaded with work and family obligations, an intentional commitment to non-do some of those activities is "Samu" practice. We could have a group in which people discuss Samu and support each other.

Now ... as to Dana, the practice of selfless giving ... putting something in the monk's bowl ...

I do not accept any "Dana" financial contributions for Treeleaf, as we now have sufficient resources for what we are doing. However, I do encourage people to make financial donations to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, finding a cure for a disease. Both donations and Samu work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Reminder about SAMU DANA by Jundo

Thanks for that, Jundo. Gonna do a little sitting then give that a peek.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I do not accept any "Dana" financial contributions for Treeleaf, as we now have sufficient resources for what we are doing. However, I do encourage people to make financial donations to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, finding a cure for a disease. Both donations and Samu work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt.
    I understand the idea of "giving until it hurts" in regards to samu, but could you talk about dana a bit more? I know I should give more than I do, but it is difficult when I have $23 in my bank account and 5 figure debts to the US Department of Education. A frank evaluation would reveal I am better off than most of the world's population by a ridiculous margin and I can find ways to do more, but it's hard to give out money when I'm in debt with two kids.

Hi Dosho,

Well, this is something we all have to wrestle with for ourselves. I will say that there are many ways to give ... and the old "it is better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish" is often very true. A householder need not sell his household and give it away, but can reasonably take care of his/her family.

On the other hand, we must learn the true meaning of generosity and moderation, not being attached to material goods and success. We should learn to share and help others.

Can we honestly say that we are contributing to society, making a better world, and not merely lining our own pockets and cheaply amusing ourselves?

The Buddha (for example, in the The Brahmajala Sutta) describes many form of giving ... it does not only have to be in the form of money and material goods ...

The perfection of giving is to be practiced by benefiting beings in many ways — by relinquishing one's happiness, belongings, body and life to others, by dispelling their fear, and by instructing them in the Dhamma Herein, giving is threefold by way of the object to be given: the giving of material things (amisadana), the giving of fearlessness (abhayadana), and the giving of the Dhamma (dhammadana).
    This is a very big and important topic, and I am thinking that we may make a special study of this topic for a week ... much as we did the Precepts for Jukai. In the meantime, I very much appreciate Rob's comment ...

I think your question has just about answered itself. If giving $5 hurts a bit under the burden of your current obligations, that $5 donation toward the well-being of sentient beings *is* dana.
    Yes, for sure.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi Dosho,

Well, this is something we all have to wrestle with for ourselves. I will say that there are many ways to give ... and the old "it is better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish" is often very true. A householder need not sell his household and give it away, but can reasonably take care of his/her family.

On the other hand, we must learn the true meaning of generosity and moderation, not being attached to material goods and success. We should learn to share and help others.

Can we honestly say that we are contributing to society, making a better world, and not merely lining our own pockets and cheaply amusing ourselves?

The Buddha (for example, in the The Brahmajala Sutta) describes many form of giving ... it does not only have to be in the form of money and material goods ...

The perfection of giving is to be practiced by benefiting beings in many ways — by relinquishing one's happiness, belongings, body and life to others, by dispelling their fear, and by instructing them in the Dhamma Herein, giving is threefold by way of the object to be given: the giving of material things (amisadana), the giving of fearlessness (abhayadana), and the giving of the Dhamma (dhammadana).
    This is a very big and important topic, and I am thinking that we may make a special study of this topic for a week ... much as we did the Precepts for Jukai. In the meantime, I very much appreciate Rob's comment ...

I think your question has just about answered itself. If giving $5 hurts a bit under the burden of your current obligations, that $5 donation toward the well-being of sentient beings *is* dana.
    Yes, for sure.

Gassho, Jundo
    Thank you Jundo...and Rob.

Gassho,
    Dosho

If I may add to this already very inspiring converation: giving can be very small and you can do it often. It can be in many forms, not just money of course, but small and daily actions. The greatest gift is your practice of course, and then your presence to other people, litening is a wonderful gift, most of us don't listen, we filter what is said through a judgemental process. Learn to listen without judging. Allow others to reach you. In the street, awareness of your surrounding can lead you to help in countless way or bear witness of what is happening. Asking "how are you today" and meaning it is Dana. It doesn't have to be big and impressive. Bowing inwardly is a practice that will help this feeling of gratitude and service to arise. In fact, if you just pay attention, and pay attention again, Dana comes naturally and the opportunities are countless, from the kitchen to the street, from home to work.

gassho

Taigu

I'm glad this has gotten a little bit more in depth. I did practice Samu today in the workplace ( there are a great many tasks I don't care for). And actually i do try to apply Zen thinking( or non-thinking as the case may be) to a few of the tasks to find that it really helps. Some of this could be considered Samu some of it more just for me.

And for years now i've tried to help charities as best I can. I am a poor restaurant grunt and so have little to give but usally when i run into a charity out in public i will donate something ( $5, $10 or so which is noticeable in my life). Actually I was a bit bothered when i couldn't give to my favorite one this year. : ( But say when police charities and such call up i try to help as i can.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    If I may add to this already very inspiring converation: giving can be very small and you can do it often. It can be in many forms, not just money of course, but small and daily actions. The greatest gift is your practice of course, and then your presence to other people, litening is a wonderful gift, most of us don't listen, we filter what is said through a judgemental process. Learn to listen without judging. Allow others to reach you. In the street, awareness of your surrounding can lead you to help in countless way or bear witness of what is happening. Asking "how are you today" and meaning it is Dana. It doesn't have to be big and impressive. Bowing inwardly is a practice that will help this feeling of gratitude and service to arise. In fact, if you just pay attention, and pay attention again, Dana comes naturally and the opportunities are countless, from the kitchen to the street, from home to work.

gassho

Taigu
    This is very helpful Taigu, thank you...also your dana for the evening.

disastermouse

Cheaply? I'll have you know my amusements are very refined and expensive! How dare you imply that my highly sophisticated mind is content with the mere amusement of the masses? How dare you!?

Chet

(I *heart* LOLCATS)

disastermouse

I'm glad this has gotten a little bit more in depth. I did practice Samu today in the workplace ( there are a great many tasks I don't care for). And actually i do try to apply Zen thinking( or non-thinking as the case may be) to a few of the tasks to find that it really helps. Some of this could be considered Samu some of it more just for me.

And for years now i've tried to help charities as best I can. I am a poor restaurant grunt and so have little to give but usally when i run into a charity out in public i will donate something ( $5, $10 or so which is noticeable in my life). Actually I was a bit bothered when i couldn't give to my favorite one this year. : ( But say when police charities and such call up i try to help as i can.

Dave
    Is there a particular reason that you remain a restaurant 'grunt', as you put it? You are intelligent - are you satisfied with that work? Is there something holding you back?

I myself was in those sorts of jobs for a very long while.

Chet

It's just kinda where I ended up. The in's and out's are a longggg story. But in essence I never went to college and it was easy to get jobs in my profession since i've been doig it snce 16 and have a tendency to stay longer than most in this line of work with a specific company. At this point i'd love the chance to get an education but if i'm in school and taking it seriously that means less time working which doesn't help me pay bills.

I will probably never be management since I don't believe I or other employees should be taken advantage of or unappreciated by someone who has to have a management positon to feel like somebody. I tend to put my foot down and tell them what i think about it. And my intelligence is often ignored in lieu of tattoos and the fact i stand my ground. I may not be a genius but i'm not handicapped either. I most assuredly do not put "bitch" on my applications neither as a position or as a skill set i can bring to the company

And i don't think of myself as the super employee. But I pull my own weight. show up on time in proper uniform and often pick up shifts when offered to help both them and myself. As I have the time and it doesn't pull from my own workload I often try to help others in some way . I don't do everything for everybody but I try to give a hand here and there and ease the situations as i'm able.

However, in the past 1 1/2- 2 yrs. I've come to appreciate what I do a bit more. I feed people. And working for Jason's Deli, I feed people food that is going towards the trend of healthier and more organic as time goes on ( which is really why this time i selected this specific chain to work for). I try to brush off rude comments alot more and just zone out on my duties. If ever I could say I was content with my position it would bew nowadays more than any other point.

Dave

Thank you for this wonderful thread and accompanying video.

Some time ago, I began taking a trash bag into the park that adjoins my neighborhood. It just felt like what I needed to do. I can now make this into a moving zazen of sorts. I shall do my best!

Dave,
    What you are doing in your job world is very important and I would be honored to have a meal in your restaurant. The fact that you can honestly share the details of your situation indicates that you are accepting your 'reality'. I am content with my position also, but that doesn't mean I don't worry sometimes about my financial responsibilities. But if that financial world falls apart, I would still have my job as neigborhood trash collector
    /Rich

Thanks for that, Rich. Not often do i hear such things about what I do. I wouldn't say I'm content or it's what I want to do. But over the years I see more value in what it is i do. All in all, I'd rather get an education an go into another line of work. I'm not looking to have gobs of money. But feel a bit unfilled in what I do and would like something where I don't have to freak out over money somedays. I'd like to live comfortably but not extravagently.

But even if I went to school i'm not sure what i'd go for. I'd most likely end up with something impractical like anthropology or philosophy. Or perhaps accupunture/accupressure. Which would probably mean that i'd end up back where I started, accept with a degree.

Dave

Thanks for that, Rich. Not often do i hear such things about what I do. I wouldn't say I'm content or it's what I want to do. But over the years I see more value in what it is i do. All in all, I'd rather get an education an go into another line of work. I'm not looking to have gobs of money. But feel a bit unfilled in what I do and would like something where I don't have to freak out over money somedays. I'd like to live comfortably but not extravagently.

But even if I went to school i'm not sure what i'd go for. I'd most likely end up with something impractical like anthropology or philosophy. Or perhaps accupunture/accupressure. Which would probably mean that i'd end up back where I started, accept with a degree.

Dave
    When I graduated from college, I was educated but untrained for any real job and I had no clue about what I wanted to do other than travel and retire. My first jobs were just something to do to survive. I have had 3 'careers', 2 in the same field. Those careers were somewhat determined by the needs of society but also doing something that was challenging and enjoyable for me. Sometimes you need to fit yourself to the needs of others and in the job world that would be the jobs that are hiring (you can also hire yourself as in self employment). Usually they require some special training and education but not necessarily a degree.

And for years now i've tried to help charities as best I can. I am a poor restaurant grunt and so have little to give ....( But say when police charities and such call up i try to help as i can.

Dave
    A "restaurant grunt" can be a Bodhisattva. A kind word, a smile to customers and co-workers can have untold effects. Simple food and drink is the giving of life.

There is no work in this world that is not precious, be it king or begger. The only question is the Wisdom and Compassion in doing so.

Gassho, J (ex dishwasher in an Italian restaurant. Oh, I still have the tomato sauce in my ears.)

Gassho

Dave