Thread: More on Zazen

More on Zazen

I see these things sometimes where people talk about how Zen can be beneficial for attention deficit or something like this.

Perhaps that is true, but Zen is much more than that. It can actually make you worse before you get better. Studying the self, is not for the faint of heart. Effort needs to be put into it on a consistent basis. Before you get better, you might get worse. Fact.

Of course, we can start out looking for something to relieve the stress, but that is not the true fruit of Zen practice. The true fruit of Zen practice is way beyond relaxed and pleasant. The true point of Zen is to look deep. Very deep, and very wide. Wider than us or me. Very Big.

Can you face the most horrible parts of yourself and continue to sit Zazen? Through thick and thin. Wow. Sounds crazy right? Hmmm...

A FIRE UNDER YOUR ASS
    (Chet)

Consistent. Even a little here and there to begin, but don't slack. Don't be happy with just mellow, or just balanced. Don't get content. Look deeper. Practice more as you continue. Build it up. Find yourself a serious practitioner. Find yourself on the "inside" as a monk once called it (When he started Zen he saw all these people who "Got it" who were "On the inside". After years of practice, he noticed that people, who were new to the practice, were looking at him the same way he looked at monks previously "On the inside".)

Take Care

Gassho

W

Re: More on Zazen

I agree with becoming complacent. Actually most of my life problems have come from being complacent. Thanks for the reminder and the words of advice.

The other

Will

Quote Originally Posted by will
    I see these things sometimes where people talk about how Zen can be beneficial for attention deficit or something like this.
    I have ADD and would say that it helped me, but that's not why I began sitting nor was it a goal I tried to achieve...which is probably why it was able to help. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying you feel better after doing zazen if that's the case. But if the person is making that a goal of practice then I'd say they are missing the point. If I'd tried to make my ADD better I would have driven myself crazy!

I too have found zazen helps with ADD. Especially some of the cranky, impatient moments. Like when my boss is fired up and I can actually hold my tongue in telling him what I think ( an attribute I have been working to develop as I have a tendency to be rather blunt and out with it instead of "pretending" ).

But at the same time improvement in the flighty thoughts area has been a bit slower.

Not my goal for meditating, but it can be a great help when i'm sitting regularly.

Dave