Below is part of Thich Nhat Hanh 's speech on alcohol. I generally do not keep alcohol in my home but occasionally enjoy a glass of wine in a restaurant or public function. recently after playing golf on a hot day, a cold glass of beer seemed to bring me back to life. I understand what Thich is saying because I've seen so many addicted to alcohol and know how destructive it can be. Setting an example for children also is a good idea. What do you think?

"There are people who drink alcohol and get drunk, who destroy their bodies, their families, their society. They should refrain from drinking. But you who have been having a glass of wine every week during the last thirty years without doing any harm to yourself, why should you stop that? What is the use of practicing this precept if drinking alcohol does not harm you or other people? Although you have not harmed yourself during the last thirty years by drinking just one or two glasses of wine every week, the fact is that it may have an effect on your children, your grandchildren, and your society. We only need to look deeply in order to see it. You are practicing not for yourself alone, but for everyone. Your children might have a propensity for alcoholism and, seeing you drinking wine every week, one of them may become alcoholic in the future. If you abandon your two glasses of wine, it is to show your children, your friends, and your society that your life is not only for yourself. Your life is for your ancestors, future generations, and also your society. To stop drinking two glasses of wine every week is a very deep practice, even if it has not brought you any harm. That is the insight of a bodhisattva who knows that everything she does is done for all her ancestors and future generations. The emptiness of transmission is the basis of the Fifth Precept. The use of drugs by so many young people should also be stopped with the same kind of insight."

excerpted from http://dharma.ncf.ca/introduction/prece ... ept-5.html