Thread: Here Now

Here Now

Overheard on a YouTube video about Susuki Roshi:

The only time you ever have is now.
    The only place you ever are is here.

My apologies to Jundo- I'm sure you've said this 84,000 times, but for some reason this time it hit me.

gassho

Re: Here Now

Yes. But when we try too hard to be here and now we end up with some trouble.

Gassho

Forgot to mention. Instead of worrying about the moment, I would instead do what Dogen recommends:

To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things.

Dropping likes and dislikes. Good and bad.

Makes more sense then worrying about "What" this moment is. In fact, having found this moment, you find there really is no "this moment". Only this moment.

Genjo Koan

To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.

Shobogenzo,
    (Zanmai-O-Zanmai)

We should investigate: at the very moment we are sitting, are all realms vertical? Are they horizontal? At the very moment we are sitting, what about that sitting? Is it a flip? Is it “brisk and lively”? Is it thinking? Is it not thinking? Is it making? Is it without making? Are we sitting within sitting? Are we sitting within body and mind? Are we sitting having sloughed off “within sitting,” “within body and mind,” and so on? We should investigate one thousand points, ten thousand points, such as these.

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    Overheard on a YouTube video about Susuki Roshi:

The only time you ever have is now.
    The only place you ever are is here.

My apologies to Jundo- I'm sure you've said this 84,000 times, but for some reason this time it hit me.

gassho
    Well, thank you and Will for saying so again here and now ... even though it is already there and then. :P

gassho