Thread: Suggested NEXT BOOK FOR THE BOOK CLUB is ...

Suggested NEXT BOOK FOR THE BOOK CLUB is ...

Hi Guys,

For the next book for our TREELEAF BOOK CLUB, following Suzuki Roshi,'s BRANCHING STREAMS, I would like to try an experiment. Plus, the next book is available for reading free online (thanks to Soto Zen Japan), so there is nothing to lose ...

I would like to try Master Dogen's Shobogenzo-Zuimonki, which is rather different from many other Dogen writings in being easy to read, plain and down to earth (the "Shobogenzo-Zuimonki" is very different from the "Shobogenzo")! In fact, it is filled with bits of wisdom, little fortune cookies, short talks on all kinds of subjects. Here is an example of one of the talks, and we will read a few each week ...

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/common_ ... 04-09.html

The "experiment" I would like to try is to see if we can apply these short talks, meant mostly for Japanese monks in the 13th century, to our lives in the 21st century, out in the world. As I said, nothing to lose (or, as Dogen might say, "no loss no gain!" )

What do you say?

Gassho, Jundo

PS -
    Oh, and if you are interested in Dogen, Japanese Comics or both ... check out the often silly "Life of Dogen" comic book, also free on line from the site (Japanese Soto Headquarters).

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/comics/ ... tle=dougen

It is based on one of the more imaginative popular tellings of Dogen's "legend" from a few centuries' ago, which has him doing a few "loaves and fishes" miracles here and there. Like, here, summoning Kannon to save his sinking ship through the power of Zazen ...

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/comics/ ... n#contents

Hey, what's religion without a few good legends? :wink:

Re: Suggested NEXT BOOK FOR THE BOOK CLUB is ...

Hi,

I like the idea of reading the original text of writings vs someone's interpretation of someone's writings. Plus I happen to have a copy

Of course I still need to get started on branching streams discussions ops: ....soon.....

And maybe after that, "Moon in a Dewdrop"? I really like Mountains and Rivers.

rowan

Okey-doke

Hello!
    count me in again and I dig the idea 100%

Gassho Shohei

Im in... When do you hink you will start this book?

Chris

I'm in...and will bring chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Im in... When do you hink you will start this book?

Chris
    When we finish the present book ... although these things never "end", blending one into another.

But, about 8 weeks I think.

Hi,

Good one - hopefully everyone will join in for this.

Gassho
    Bansho

I am down with it.

BTW, I want a copy, is this a good edition:

Hi.

I'm always with you.
    Will there be a possibility to get the whole book in an "easy-to-write-out-version" too?

Mtfbwy
    Tb

Great timing...I will use some birthday money to get a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    I am down with it.

BTW, I want a copy, is this a good edition:

No, that is a different translation. The version available online was translated by Shohaku Okumura and Daitsu Tom Wright many years ago, and looks like this:

Now, it may be available free (or for a small donation) from the Soto-shu offices in North America and Europe. I will need to call them and see if they still publish it, or if it is only available online.

For the time being, the only place I have found that seems to be selling it is Zen Mountain ...

http://www.dharma.net/monstore/product_ ... cts_id=302

Gassho, Jundo

Jundo. Thanks! Yes. Found it at Amazon for.......$35+ dollars...used (!). :shock:

Hello all,

I'm in as always...and looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Kelly (Jinmei)

I`ll be there with my monki :wink:

Daiku

Just ordered my copy from the Monastery Store, and as Jundo pointed out it seems they are the only ones that have it. I have dealt with them just lately and it was a pleasant experience. One thing to note is shipping charges are note included on your invoice and as soon as you hit order they are calculated and charged to your CC. Was a bit of mystery when we got the CC bill the first time, but we figured it out and this time when we ordered i noticed that they do say Shipping charges were not shown.

Gassho, Shohei

I would like to try Master Dogen's Shobogenzo-Zuimonki
    Awesome. I'm there.

Can I contain my excitement?

8 weeks? We'll see. I'll start without you.

Gassho

Will

I am interested in participating as well.

Seona

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Just ordered my copy from the Monastery Store, and as Jundo pointed out it seems they are the only ones that have it.
    FWIW, You can get a copy at Amazon.com, but not at a lower price.

Myoshin

This sounds fun! Count me in!

Gassho,
    Kyle

Just reading through the first few sections online, this looks really accessible - I feel like Dogen's my buddy now. I'm looking forward to learning more about this side of his teaching, since I've mostly only been exposed to the Shobogenzo proper.

And I love the comic, btw. Between that and Saint Young Men, I'm really developing a liking for these Buddhist-themed comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai
    Just reading through the first few sections online, this looks really accessible - I feel like Dogen's my buddy now. I'm looking forward to learning more about this side of his teaching, since I've mostly only been exposed to the Shobogenzo proper.

And I love the comic, btw. Between that and Saint Young Men, I'm really developing a liking for these Buddhist-themed comics.

H,

You might want to try "Zen Comics" (one and two). they are small cute paperbacks. My favorite is:

Teacher says to student "Are the two one? If you say yes I will beat you, if you say no I will beat you! Why?!"
    Student monk replies "Because you're crazy and I'm crazy to be here."

cheers,
    rowan

Hi everyone!
    Will you talk about the shobogenzo zuimonki here or is there another topic specially for it?

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Luis
    Hi everyone!
    Will you talk about the shobogenzo zuimonki here or is there another topic specially for it?

Luis

Hi Luis,

We will start the Shobogenzo Zuimonki in our "Book Club" shortly ... I have been letting everyone have a break for a couple of weeks to allow our last readings to settle. I may also have a couple of short readings next week or so from other books first, before we start Zuimonki (I will provide PDF files for download).

Please look for that in our book club, below, starting next week ...

viewforum.php?f=2

Gassho, Jundo

Thank You Jundo! :wink:

Luis

Jundo i think it is a great idea and may i suggest we next try to take on the shobogenzo itself?

but maybe start a new forum section just for it?

also i would like to suggest to try a book of poems for the book club i think it would be great ( or maybe not even the book club but a another forum section )

i would love to have Leonard Cohen's book of longing as an example.

just a thought.
    Gassho, Dojin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    Jundo i think it is a great idea and may i suggest we next try to take on the shobogenzo itself?

but maybe start a new forum section just for it?

also i would like to suggest to try a book of poems for the book club i think it would be great ( or maybe not even the book club but a another forum section )

i would love to have Leonard Cohen's book of longing as an example.

just a thought.
    Gassho, Dojin.
    Hi Dojin.

I have been trying to take on one or two "chapters" of Shobogenzo on the Sit-a-Long each year ... which should let us finish the whole thing in about 30 or 40 years or so. :-) Now, we are looking at Bendowa.

http://search.blog.beliefnet.com/cgi...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Folks should feel free to comment and share on the discussion though. The Shobogenzo is rather a thick and thorny maze, so it is good to go through slowly and together. Once Dogen's basic ways of expression and thinking (and "non-thinking") are understood, one can read the entirety with a bit more ease (though never easy ... between you and me, Dogen was like a wild Jazz musician who may even have sometimes let the notes and feeling lead him where they would, and may not have been always quite sure where the music was taking him -- or what he himself "meant" -- each and every moment in his writing/playing! 8) But, like John Coltrane or Miles ... all great stuff, man. ).

As to the poetry club ... that is an excellent suggestion! But I leave it to our resident poet laureate, Taigu, to put that together perhaps ... with the help of our regularTreeleaf bards.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi Jundo

Great!

I’m afraid I am like Rowan and still trying to get caught up on Branching Streams. Minor eruptions of my “personal volcano” have been persistent but mostly under control. Still it has pulled me away from the opportunity of sitting down and read. Hope things quiet down by the time you start on the Shobogenzo-Zuimonki

Jim

if we happen to do a poetry section i would like to suggested leonard cohen
    he is my favorite musician and poet... his poems speak of very personal and inner realizations. combined with sex, love, zen, Christianity, Judaism and such as the search for inner meaning and peace.
    mostly his poems border on prayers.
    it touches me everytime.

Gassho, Dojin.

P.S.

we could also have our own poetry posted there and discussed, like a little stage for the world to see.