Thread: Zen is not running

Zen is not running

Good morning (just woke up, little drowsy)

Picture your emotions and thoughts as your enemy. A horde of foul beasts running towards you ready to eat you and spit out your bones. They are 20 feet tall with glowing red eyes, holding utensils of destruction.

Zen is neither running nor fighting. Seeing no enemy. Accepting the beasts as they are, in all their hairy glory, and offering them some tea.

Gassho

Re: Zen is not running

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Good morning (just woke up, little drowsy)

Picture your emotions and thoughts as your enemy. A horde of foul beasts running towards you ready to eat you and spit out your bones. They are 20 feet tall with glowing red eyes, holding utensils of destruction.

Zen is neither running nor fighting. Seeing no enemy. Accepting the beasts as they are, in all their hairy glory, and offering them some tea.

Gassho

4. Catching the Bull

I seize him with a terrific struggle.
    His great will and power are inexhaustible.
    He charges to the high plateau far above the cloud-mists,
    Or in an impenetrable ravine he stands.

Comment: He dwelt in the forest a long time, but I caught him today! Infatuation for scenery interferes with his direction. Longing for sweeter grass, he wanders away. His mind still is stubborn and unbridled. If I wish him to submit, I must raise my whip.

5. Taming the Bull

The whip and rope are necessary,
    Else he might stray off down some dusty road.
    Being well trained, he becomes naturally gentle.
    Then, unfettered, he obeys his master.

Comment: When one thought arises, another thought follows. When the first thought springs from enlightenment, all subsequent thoughts are true. Through delusion, one makes everything untrue. Delusion is not caused by objectivity; it is the result of subjectivity. Hold the nose-ring tight and do not allow even a doubt.

6. Riding the Bull Home

Mounting the bull, slowly I return homeward.
    The voice of my flute intones through the evening.
    Measuring with hand-beats the pulsating harmony, I direct the endless rhythm.
    Whoever hears this melody will join me.

Comment: This struggle is over; gain and loss are assimilated. I sing the song of the village woodsman, and play the tunes of the children. Astride the bull, I observe the clouds above. Onward I go, no matter who may wish to call me back.

7. The Bull Transcended

Astride the bull, I reach home.
    I am serene. The bull too can rest.
    The dawn has come. In blissful repose,
    Within my thatched dwelling I have abandoned the whip and rope.

Comment: All is one law, not two. We only make the bull a temporary subject. It is as the relation of rabbit and trap, of fish and net. It is as gold and dross, or the moon emerging from a cloud. One path of clear light travels on throughout endless time.

8. Both Bull and Self Transcended

Whip, rope, person, and bull -- all merge in No-Thing.
    This heaven is so vast no message can stain it.
    How may a snowflake exist in a raging fire?
    Here are the footprints of the patriarchs.

Comment: Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless

by Kakuan
    Transcribed by
    Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps
    Illustrated by Tomikichiro Tokuriki
    HTML version by Jamie Andrews

Excerpt from Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, A Collection of Zen
    and Pre-Zen Writings

You can read the entirety here ...

http://www.expressionsofspirit.com/10bulls/tenbulls.htm

Re: Zen is not running

That's a really good story/description

Namaste