Thread: YouTube videos out of sync

YouTube videos out of sync

Is it me, or are the videos out of sync (voice and video)? This never happened with the Ustream videos, so it's either me, the way Jundo's recording, or YouTube...

Kirk

Re: YouTube videos out of sync

Hi, Kirk.
    This happens with a lot of the video content on YouTube. I have several music things posted and they all are out of sync even though the original video wasn't. It must have something to do with the encoding/compression method that YouTube uses. I don't think there is any fix other than calculating the audio offset and pushing the audio ahead by that amount prior to uploading the video . . . a timely process. Also, I bet Jundo is doing a "quickcapture" which goes straight to Youtube without being stored on his local hard drive, but that is just a guess. So, you asked for the time and I told you how to make a watch, but the short answer is "no" it is not just you.

Gassho,
    Bill

OK, Bill, thanks.

Kirk

Is the voice out of sync with the picture, the picture out of sync with the voice ... or is the mind out of sync?

MUMONKAN CASE 29. ENO'S FLAG

The wind was flapping a temple flag, and two monks were arguing about the flag. One said, "The flag is moving." The other said, "the wind is moving." They could not agree, no matter how hard they debated. The sixth patriarch, Eno, happened to come by and said, "Not the wind, not the flag. It is the mind that is moving!" The two monks were struck with awe.

Mumon's Comments:
    It is not the wind that moves, it is not the flag that moves, it is not the mind that moves. How shall we understand the sixth patriarch? If you gain an intimate grasp of its meaning, you will see how the two monks, intending to buy iron, got gold. The patriarch could not repress his compassion for the two monks, and so we have this disgraceful scene.

Wind, flag, and mind moves,
    All confirmed as guilty of error.
    Only we know our mouth is opened,
    we do not know our speech went wrong.

Whenever the sit-along loses its syncronicity, I just stop watching and listen. (No offense, Jundo )

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    Whenever the sit-along loses its syncronicity, I just stop watching and listen. (No offense, Jundo )

Gassho
    One might also stop listening and just watch. Or just watch listening while listening to watching.

(I hope I am not trying to out-Zen-you too much)

Every mountain top is its own flag.
    All point to the same moon.
    All are the same flag.

Gassho

Sorry to go off-topic here but it is youTube related.

I can't watch more than a third of any video - the buffering goes ahead then stops about a third of the way along, then the play part catches up and it stops - the little timer thing spinning round. It never starts again so I can never watch a full video.

:?: Anyone got any ideas for a fix? :?:

Again, Sorry to go off-topic! :roll:

Stu.

Hi Stu,

No, that is the right topic.

It seems to be a common problem, not just for the sit-a-longs, but for youtube in general (and watching other things online, like some tvshows). I am not the techguy here (just the spiritual advisor 8) ), but ...

A possible low-tech option is to press "pause" just as the video starts, and let it fully buffer before playing,. See if that helps.

That does help with buffering, which generally depends on your bandwidth. It has no effect on the syncing though. It only bothers me because Jundo's hand gestures (do you realize how much you use your hands?) are way out of sync with your words, and are actually funny sometimes. And the out-of-syncness increases as it goes on; it starts like a second out of sync, and by the end it's a whole sentence...

Anyway, I'm just listening and not watching...

Kirk

Thanks Jundo,

I have tried that but it never gets past about a third the way across. Just sticks...

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle
    Thanks Jundo,

I have tried that but it never gets past about a third the way across. Just sticks...

Stu
    See if any of this helps ...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 630AAExaYz

I've gotten used to the out of sync vids and when they have annoyed me a few times here or there I take it as a sign I need to take step back and get to my practice. I have to say in all honesty that I do miss the UStream vids as they made me feel more like I was in the room with Jundo...but that is attachment as they say, so I roll with what is and smile.