Thread: Zazen is all you need

Zazen is all you need

A profound and simple teaching from the sit-a-long today...

If you think this moment is complete and perfect, then it is. If you think "you" are separate from "me" then you are. If you drop all thoughts, then "you" blends into "me" and the universe and then there is...the unnamable.

Gassho,

Todd.

Re: Zazen is all you need

Oh, somebody is listening and, moreso, hearing!

Yes, Todd. I think so.

PS- Now that we talked about that, however, there's still the need to 'non-do' that. That takes PRACTICE! Ya can't just talk about the sweetness of sugar, but need to taste it on the tongue.

I was going to listen, but something came up, and...Ah man! You know.

W

Oh, somebody is listening and, moreso, hearing!
    Well, I watch every day... I just save my questions for this forum instead of commenting on the beliefnet page

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah

Well, I watch every day... I just save my questions for this forum instead of commenting on the beliefnet page
    Me too!

Hi,

But hey, wait a minute, I thought "all you need is love"?!? Hmm, let's see. Love is empty...Zazen is empty, so... all you need is Zazen! OK - got it.

Gassho
    Bansho

Quote Originally Posted by Mushin

If you think this moment is complete and perfect, then it is. If you think "you" are separate from "me" then you are. If you drop all thoughts, then "you" blends into "me" and the universe and then there is...the unnamable.

Gassho,

Todd.
    Wait! I am confused. I thought this moment is exactly what it is no matter what *I* think (I prefer to avoid the word "perfect" since it often has value connotations). And that you and I are both separate and "not two" (at the same time), again, no matter what I think or don't think.

gassho,
    rowan

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jinho

Gassho,

Todd.
    Wait! I am confused. I thought this moment is exactly what it is no matter what *I* think (I prefer to avoid the word "perfect" since it often has value connotations). And that you and I are both separate and "not two" (at the same time), again, no matter what I think or don't think.

gassho,
    rowan
    These sorts of problems are imaginary, IMHO. By that, I simply mean that they have more to do with the logical inconsistencies inherent in any dualistic representation of reality.

Karmically, we are predisposed to see the world a certain way and to be presented by the world in a certain way - at least from a 'form' perspective. In that way, you see what you are prepared to see.

In reality though, none of the 'forms' exist without conceptual organization - and that conceptual organization is not inherent in the perceptions themselves. This is, in effect, how karma affects what we see.

IMHO, IANAT.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Jinho

Gassho,

Todd.

gassho,
    rowan
    Hey, Rowan.

Well, "thought" is not always the enemy. We cannot live without many thoughts. When we look to express the Dharma in words, we must think about which words. So, thought is a needed tool. Dogen even said that well expressed thought and words are the Dharma itself, come to flower.

So, there is just a perfect action, full and complete. Action acting actor, not two not three. Zazen as 'just doing', beyond thinking.or not thinking.

And sometimes one may taste, without need for thinking anything, that Zazen is full and complete, a perfect action of being.

And sometimes one may think in words "Zazen is full and complete, a perfect action, the only place to be or where one can be".

In any event, all are something far different from experiencing or thinking that Zazen is incomplete, in need of missing pieces to be added, far removed from enlightenment itself, that there is some other place to be.

Something like that.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Bansho
    Hi,

But hey, wait a minute, I thought "all you need is love"?!? Hmm, let's see. Love is empty...Zazen is empty, so... all you need is Zazen! OK - got it.

Gassho
    Bansho
    Hi.
    Nice one.
    spot on.

Mtfbwy
    Tb

I think there's definitely a time and place for discursive, analytical thought. I also think there's a time to drop it though.

Zazen (and Vipassana) in my experience actually makes it easier to use the thought process more skillfully.

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop Rebel
    I think there's definitely a time and place for discursive, analytical thought. I also think there's a time to drop it though.

Zazen (and Vipassana) in my experience actually makes it easier to use the thought process more skillfully.
    What time is it now?

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop Rebel

What time is it now?

Chet
    I'm at work, so it's discursive thought time.