Thread: Buddhism in Mexico

Buddhism in Mexico

http://www.theworld.org/node/25009

The World's Lorne Matalon visits a touring display of ancient Tibetan relics in Mexico City and tells us how Buddhism is gaining popularity in mostly-Catholic Mexico.
    Note: The audio article emphasizes more the Tibetan tradition in Mexico than Buddhism in the "general" sense.

Re: Buddhism in Mexico

Thank you for that.

I note that the emphasis on relics and such is very important too in Mexican Catholicism (I believe). I wonder if there are some parallels. Gassho, Jundo

Re: Buddhism in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Thank you for that.

I note that the emphasis on relics and such is very important too in Mexican Catholicism (I believe). I wonder if there are some parallels. Gassho, Jundo
    It is. Specifically, since there was a level of religious syncretism between Catholicism (at least the Spanish "flavor") and Aztec/indigenous religions. Notice, for example, that in Mexico, we have a great focus on the Virgin Mary as a focal point for Catholic faith. If you go to my local church, the Virgin Mary takes center stage and Christ is somewhere (the physical cross) away from the center. This focus, in Mexico, comes out a great part from the Aztecs worship of the mother goddess, Tonantzin. Curious enough, I have seen this at my local Chinese store where Kuan Yin's statues are sold to the mexican consumer as a manifestation of the Virgin Mary, i.e, Mother as Compassion.