Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions - VII (Life After Death?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions - VII (Life After Death?)

Hi,

Today's questions in our "BIG Questions" series are a matter of life and death:

What happens when we die? Some say that death is an illusion. How so? Why is it said that Satori destroys the fear of death?- Buddhism says that Ignorance and delusion bind us to the cycle of birth and death. As such, when one who hasn’t realised his/her true nature and remains in ignorance dies, they are subsequently reborn. But what happens to one who has realised their true nature in life, attained enlightenment , Satori...? What happens to a Buddha when their physical body disintegrates, if they are not reborn and they are egoless?
    I don't know for sure (although I have some darn good suspicions arising from this practice). Frankly, I do not think that even those other folks claiming to "know for sure" truly "know for sure" that they "know for sure" ... (it's even unclear if the Buddha himself claimed to "know for sure" or just was said to "know for sure" by later folks who didn't know for sure if he knew for sure) ...

But I will do my best to answer anyway.

(Let me also mention that some of these questions are closely connected to our last "BIG Questions" Episode on Karma:

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH OF THE FOLLOWING ... IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL LIFETIMES TO READ! [monk] Hi Ho, It's been a couple of weeks since our last "BIG Questions". But now fate has led us to the next which, though seemingly some of the trickiest, I find not so tricky at all ... What about KARMA? Mr. D asked ... In

First, what happens when we die?

I believe that no human being knows for sure (not the living ones anyway). I believe a lot of folks who claim to know are merely guessing or being imaginative (I do not know for sure that they are, of course, and they might have some insight. I guess we will find out when we are dead ... or not).

But here is the kicker, from a Zen perspective:

1- I do not need to know, and the whole question is rather unimportant

2- There is no "birth and death" anyway.

Let's take those in order:

First, among religions (and even among schools of Buddhism) Zen is generally focused on living in "this life, here and now" as opposed to being concerned about what comes next.

As we discussed last time regarding Karma, ideas of Karmic Rebirth have been just as present throughout the history of Ch'an/Zen Buddhism as in other schools of Buddhism. HOWEVER, the emphasis in Zen Buddhism on "living in this life, in the present moment" quickly began to make the question less important to Zen Practitioners. Live a good life in this life ... and what happens after this life will take care of itself. (It sure as heck is gonna take care of itself anyway!)

Second, Zen Buddhism (and many schools of the Mahayana particularly) came to see the whole dichotomy of "birth/life" and "death" as something of an illusion, a fiction, which can be dropped away. So, death is not a problem because we were never born in the first place, and thus never die.

Let me explain.

I suppose the best analogy is the "wave" on an ocean's surface. The wave (representing you or me) rises up from the ocean, and eventually merges back into the ocean, but really there was nothing there all along but the ocean. When the water rippled up, we say "there is a wave", and when the water fell back down we say "the wave is gone" ... but it was just the water, which was there before ... and is still there after. {Let me mention here that I am not crazy about the "ocean" analogy for a simple reason: The image or name limits and fixes our conception of that ultimate reality beyond what I believe is present human understanding. (I much prefer my airplane analogy, see below) In my view, the word "Ocean" conveys an image of some unbroken, homogeneous, characterless, flowing thing, I believe, in contrast, that reality may be that [homogenous, characterless, etc.] or something completely different I can be "at one" with it no matter, and without need to know precisely. I was inspired today to see Shunryu Suzuki Roshi say, in the film I pointed folks to in the book club (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7umcFZEb7c&hl=ja[/video]] from about minute 23:00 mark:

[Things have a reason why they] exist here. And because of that reason, it makes sense - some sense [laughs]. I don't know [laughs] what sense. No one knows. But there must be some reason.
    }

So, you see, I am pretty darn sure that we never were born, so we never will die. But I am hard pressed to tell you (and I really don't care anyway!!) about what exactly our "source" is to which we return.

Our Zen attitude to the source of our life (and to where we return) could be compared to this analogy: I am not an airplane pilot or aero-engineer (and was asleep in science class in high school), so I really do not understand what makes a 747 fly. Yet, out of great faith, I get on and ride. Now, when a dear friend of mine I'll call "Danny"was living with cancer a few years ago, he asked me for a "Zen Buddhist" perspective on what its all about [He was not a Zen Buddhist at the time]. I wrote him this:

How can I put this? Perhaps, in the Zen perspective, life is like being born ... for some mysterious reason ... in a certain seat on a trans-Pacific flight (I thought the analogy appropriate, given how much time we both spend crossing the Pacific to Japan). We are not quite sure how we got here on this flight, who paid for the ticket, the destination ... and certainly, we are not quite sure who is in the cockpit or how the plane got made. However, something has seemingly gone to a lot of trouble to put us on this plane (earthly plane? har har). And, the movie is not bad (sometimes comedy sometimes tears), the champagne is cold, and the view out the window spectacular. Sure, some of the other passengers are hard to bear (often fighting amongst themselves), not everything is to our liking, and sometimes it downright is unpleasant. But the 747 seems to be moving along on its own power. So, nothing to do but enjoy the ride.

But there is more to it than that ...

For, in our perspective, we can see that we are all connected. I don't mean that we see some loose, indirect connection we all have. It is precisely that we see that the airplane and all the other passengers, the motor, the wings, movie and all the seats, and the guy in the cockpit are all part of you too, or are really you, or you are them ... or, better put, you, Danny, are the plane ... or even better put, there is just the flying).

And we are not really going anywhere anyway that we have not always been (the point of departure and the point of arrival are precisely the same). Nor can we have any control really over the course of the flight, or its length. Anyway, what does long or short mean once you get in the air?

And it sure seems like something went to a lot of trouble to make something as elaborate as a plane. A great mathematician and physicist [Fred Hoyle] once said ...

"The chance that higher [sentient] life forms might have emerged in this way is comparable with the chance that a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein... I am at a loss to understand biologists' widespread compulsion to deny what seems to me to be obvious." ("Hoyle on Evolution," Nature, Vol. 294, 12 November 1981, p. 105.)

The fact [I am writing a book on this] that so many a priori conditions were required to set our 747-world just right in order for us to share this e-mail leads me to conclude that our appearance on this plane is not mere happenstance, and the trip not without purpose (although I do not clearly know the nature of nature's purpose).

So, have a good flight, even with the turbulence and bad food. It's all part of the flying and we are not really at the controls.

Some Buddhists might also add that you are working through what needs to be worked through (karma and all that). I, personally, don't know about that, but it could be I suppose. Certainly, it is one explanation for how you ended up as "Danny," and not as some piece of luggage, coffee cup, headrest, other passenger or ... seemingly much, much more likely ... nothing at all. I can attest that this "Danny" is certainly one of a kind. (If I may continue with the silly plane analogy), why did you end up in seat 37D, and not some other seat, or in the baggage compartment, and why on the darn plane at all?? Maybe there is no reason at all, maybe it was an assigned seat.

Oh, and embracing the whole things means that it is okay to be pissed off, disappointed, etc., sometimes at being sick. That's what human beings do at times when we have been diverted, seemingly, from where we wanted the plane to go.

Your friend, Jundo ... quite often, a white knuckle flier
    So, we realize that we are the airplane, not just a passenger in economy class. Though we don't know all about what makes a 747 go, or even have a clear idea of the destination ... we have a deep trust that we are supposed to be here.

Now, before we go, let me talk about some traditional Buddhist ideas about life after death.

As we saw in our last "BIG Questions" episode on Karma, the Buddha and other later Buddhists often taught a very mechanical system of heavens, hells and rebirths. Could be so. Many Buddhists thought of these places of rebirth as real places. They may be.

But the Buddha and all the Buddhists also taught that, when you get "enlightened" you escape from all that. How? Well, one interpretation that has been around for a long time is you "escape" from it because ... it was never there, except as a creation of your own mind. I guess the simplest analogy is an ordinary dream when you are sleeping, in which you are convinced that you are going from life to life. But when the alarm rings and you 'wake up' ... you realize the dream was a dream all along (real in being a real dream, but not real). When you are dreaming, you think you are a passenger moving from seat to seat on the airplane. But then, when you wake up, you are just the plane. Something like that.

Quiet often the Buddha just refused to answer all such questions as irrelevant. His method was to afford us escape and end suffering. He had no concern for what happens after death and/or did not know. Although the Buddha is said to have given a few different answers to what happens to a Buddha after death, one of the most often cited is this:

Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta - The Shorter Instructions to Malunkya

Ven. Malunkyaputta arose from seclusion and went to the Blessed One. On arrival, having bowed down, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One, "Lord, just now, as I was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in my awareness: 'These positions that are undeclared, set aside, discarded by the Blessed One... I don't approve, I don't accept that the Blessed One has not declared them to me. I'll go ask the Blessed One about this matter. If he declares to me that 'The cosmos is eternal,' that 'The cosmos is not eternal,' that 'The cosmos is finite,' that 'The cosmos is infinite,' that 'The soul & the body are the same,' that 'The soul is one thing and the body another,' that 'After death a Tathagata exists,' that 'After death a Tathagata does not exist,' that 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist,' or that 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' then I will live the holy life under him. then I will live the holy life under him. If he does not declare to me that "The cosmos is eternal,"... etc. or that "After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist," then I will renounce the training and return to the lower life.'

[The Buddha answered]:

"Malunkyaputta, did I ever say to you, 'Come, Malunkyaputta, live the holy life under me, and I will declare to you that "The cosmos is eternal,"... etc. or that "After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,"

"No, lord."

"It's just as if a man were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. His friends & companions, kinsmen & relatives would provide him with a surgeon, and the man would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the man who wounded me was a noble warrior, a priest, a merchant, or a worker.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know the given name & clan name of the man who wounded me... until I know whether he was tall, medium, or short... until I know whether he was dark, ruddy-brown, or golden-colored... until I know his home village, town, or city... until I know whether the bow with which I was wounded was a long bow or a crossbow... until I know whether the bowstring with which I was wounded was fiber, bamboo threads, sinew, hemp, or bark... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was wild or cultivated... until I know whether the feathers of the shaft with which I was wounded were those of a vulture, a stork, a hawk, a peacock, or another bird... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was bound with the sinew of an ox, a water buffalo, a langur, or a monkey.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was that of a common arrow, a curved arrow, a barbed, a calf-toothed, or an oleander arrow.' The man would die and those things would still remain unknown to him.

"In the same way, if anyone were to say, 'I won't live the holy life under the Blessed One as long as he does not declare to me that 'The cosmos is eternal,'... or that 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' the man would die and those things would still remain undeclared by the Tathagata.

"So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to [non-attachment], dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.
    So, HAVE A SMOOTH FLIGHT! ... roll with the turbulence ...

Gassho, Jundo

PS - If anyone is interested in more of the "Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions ", the links are here ...

Last edited by Jundo; 03-23-2020, 02:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • jrh001
    • Nov 2008

Re: Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions - VII

Originally posted by Jundo

Hi Jundo,

As an individual pondering my own fate, I may (one day) be able to convince myself that these answers are sufficient.

But when attending the funeral of a relative, friend or colleague and feeling the grief and sense of loss, telling myself (or others!) that the body lying there in the open casket was never born and thus never died doesn't seem to provide much hope or comfort. For those left behind, there is a real need to know.

What could be said, from a Buddhist point of view, to help those who are grieving?

Thanks for tackling the BIG questions.

JohnH

Comment

• Tb
      • Jan 2008

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to [non-attachment], dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.
      Hi.

I like The 'BIG' questions, really good.

One of my friends always, when this topic comes up, askes "but what about the zombies?".
      Well, i believe Zombies have their place in the dharma, as do men, spoons and so forth...

But, WHAT ABOUT THE ZOMBIES?
      I'll guess i have to ask one if i ever come across one, just before i run like hell...

Mtfbwy
      Fugen
      Life is our temple and its all good practice
      Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jrh001

Hi Jundo,

As an individual pondering my own fate, I may (one day) be able to convince myself that these answers are sufficient.

But when attending the funeral of a relative, friend or colleague and feeling the grief and sense of loss, telling myself (or others!) that the body lying there in the open casket was never born and thus never died doesn't seem to provide much hope or comfort. For those left behind, there is a real need to know.

What could be said, from a Buddhist point of view, to help those who are grieving?

JohnH
        Pardon my for being slow to respond. It took a while for me to get the smile off my face from Fugen's "Zombie" posting.

Well, as to feeling grief ... I tell people (and I too experience when a loved one dies in my family) that to grieve is natural. And to feel compassion and empathy for others who have suffered a loss is natural. Kannon and Jizo Bodhisattvas feel compassion and empathy for all the suffering of the world.

If there is anything very special about our "Zen way" of grieving ... it is that we can also see through the loss and grief into another perspective by which nothing can ever be lost, nothing can even be apart. We taste both ways of seeing at once (sometimes more one face than the other though).

We also seek some balance and moderation in our emotions .... and we seek to avoid, as we can, extremes of grief, becoming a prisoner of grief unable to escape (although, you know, there will be those days too, and that is okay. As long as someone does not make a lifetime of grieving).

When my mother died, people asked if I felt great loss. I said (and say) that I see and feel my mother in every tree, cloud and breeze, child's skinned knee. No distance at all. And I am not merely waxing poetic here, or trying to sound like a greeting card. I mean it.

When my son asks where people go when they die, I usually say "the peaceful place where we came from when we were born. We are all together there for all time.". I mean that too.

I rarely perform funerals (I think they should be more like birthday parties), but when I do I usually do this: I ask all the friends and family attending the service to raise their hands and tell a story about the effect that the person had in their lives. Usually, hands go up and people will tell stories about how the person helped them, comforted them, saved them in a hard situation (sometimes the story will be about how the person was not so nice ... which shows that our actions have effects). So, I then say, the person is still here with all of us. I mean that too.

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

• Tb
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jrh001

Hi Jundo,

JohnH
          Pardon my for being slow to respond. It took a while for me to get the smile off my face from Fugen's "Zombie" posting.

Well, as to feeling grief ... I tell people (and I too experience when a loved one dies in my family) that to grieve is natural. And to feel compassion and empathy for others who have suffered a loss is natural. Kannon and Jizo Bodhisattvas feel compassion and empathy for all the suffering of the world.

If there is anything very special about our "Zen way" of grieving ... it is that we can also see through the loss and grief into another perspective by which nothing can ever be lost, nothing can even be apart. We taste both ways of seeing at once (sometimes more one face than the other though).

We also seek some balance and moderation in our emotions .... and we seek to avoid, as we can, extremes of grief, becoming a prisoner of grief unable to escape (although, you know, there will be those days too, and that is okay. As long as someone does not make a lifetime of grieving).

When my mother died, people asked if I felt great loss. I said (and say) that I see and feel my mother in every tree, cloud and breeze, child's skinned knee. No distance at all. And I am not merely waxing poetic here, or trying to sound like a greeting card. I mean it.

When my son asks where people go when they die, I usually say "the peaceful place where we came from when we were born. We are all together there for all time.". I mean that too.

I rarely perform funerals (I think they should be more like birthday parties), but when I do I usually do this: I ask all the friends and family attending the service to raise their hands and tell a story about the effect that the person had in their lives. Usually, hands go up and people will tell stories about how the person helped them, comforted them, saved them in a hard situation (sometimes the story will be about how the person was not so nice ... which shows that our actions have effects). So, I then say, the person is still here with all of us. I mean that too.

Gassho, Jundo
          Hi.

When my granddad went away a couple of years ago i got the question if i thought if he was still with us.
          And without an hesitation i answered yes.
          And he still is.

Mtfbwy
          Fugen
          Life is our temple and its all good practice
          Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

I am just going to repost these wonderful lyrics from the 10,000 Maniacs (originally by folk singer Iris Dement) ... they say it all ... I have posted them before, but I really love this song.

Give a listen hear

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl= ... =N&tab=wv#

Here is the Iris Dement version, which is really great too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Du5FguDSzE[/video]]

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from

Everybody's worrying 'bout where they're gonna go

When the whole thing's done

Nobody knows for certain,

And so it's all the same to me

I Think I'll just let the mystery be

Some say once gone, you're gone forever

Some say you're gonna come back

Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior

if in sinful ways you lack

Some say that they're comin' back in a garden

Bunch of carrots and little sweet peas

Some say they're going to place called Glory

And I ain't sayin' it ain't a fact

But I've heard that I'm on the road to purgatory

And I don't like the sound of that

I believe in love and I live my life accordingly

But I choose to let the mystery be

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from

Everybody's worrying 'bout where they're gonna go

When the whole thing's done

Nobody knows for certain,

And so it's all the same to me

Comment

• ScottyDoo
              • Aug 2008

Beautiful lyrics Jundo, thanks for posting them!

Gassho.
              ScottyDoo - The Lazy Buddhist

Comment

• lorax
                • Jun 2008

Well, this thread seems to have ended on a beautiful note or song. And I think that it has all been well said by Jundo and the rest of you.

But…. If it is that simple “quen sabe?” then why all the effort spent trying to explain what lays beyond this life? I wonder if it is not so much a concern over what happens to us as individuals, but rather what happens to those we love that are lost to us.

Perhaps this is a new thread for Jundo…. I know up to about a month ago, I thought I was comfortable with the passing of friends, family and those persons where I was a witness to their death in my work in Emergency Services. Then I got a message that a dear friend of mine had died. I was devastated. I sat and cried and was unsettled for days. I guess the big WHY? finally hit me after some 69 years. Since then I have been giving a lot of thought to loosing those we love. For the first time I started to think about what life would be like with out my wife…someone who has been part of me for over 45 years. I think it is these types of thoughts that push us to find an answer to Jundo’s Big Question VII. Not for our end, but for comfort in loosing those we love. Perhaps, “let the mystery be” is really the only answer. And as Jundo would say, guess I just have to sit with that.

Aloha

Jim
                Shozan

Comment

• Taigu
                  Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                  • Aug 2008

Hi everybody,

I seem to remember that a tibetan teacher once said something like this ...

Everybody wants to know if there is a life after death...but what about a life before death?
                  Thank you for tackling this Big question.

gasssho

Taigu

Comment

• jrh001
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Taigu
                    Hi everybody,

I seem to remember that a tibetan teacher once said something like this ...

Everybody wants to know if there is a life after death...but what about a life before death?
                    Thank you for tackling this Big question.

gasssho

Taigu
                    Actually some Tibetans are very precise about what happens after death: "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying", Sogyal Rinpoche.

JohnH

Comment

• clyde

I rather like this, "Where does your fist go when you open your hand?"

clyde

p.s: I think I first heard this from Alan Watts.

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by clyde
                        I rather like this, "Where does your fist go when you open your hand?"

clyde

p.s: I think I first heard this from Alan Watts.
                        Super cool! Thanks Clyde!

Comment

• Shui_Di
                          • Apr 2008

Hi Jundo...

I don't know what will be happened after I die, (I haven't died yet)

But I think, heaven and hell is needed.

There are three types of person (I think):
                          1. a person who don't do some thing bad because he afraid hell and desiring heaven.

2. a person who do some thing good because he has compassion. Not just because afraid hell and desiring heaven.

3. a person who is doing good because he just want to do it. This kind of person do good thing not because he want to benefit other people, because wanting to benefit others is separation between me and others. A person in the 3rd types will see others as him self. There is no separation at all.

For a person in the first type, believing there is hell or heaven can help him/her to refrain from doing bad thing.

For the person in the 2nd and 3rd types, they don't really need to believe about hell or heaven.

Although we don't know whether heavens-hell really exist or not, but as long as it can bring benefit to a lot of people, it's ok to believe it.

But, of course it's up to the person want to believe it or not. it's very optional.

Well, this is my opinion.

GAssho, Mujo
                          Practicing the Way means letting all things be what they are in their Self-nature. - Master Dogen.

Comment

• Bansho
                            • Apr 2007

Hi,

Why do some people suppose that we'll learn something after we die which remains hidden to us now? Perhaps we've been asking these questions for endless kalpas. Perhaps the questions arise with us and depart with us. Perhaps things are like this, perhaps they're like that. Even if this or that is so, we may never know. And - even if we do find out that it's like this or like that - what then?

Gassho
                            Bansho
                            ??

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shui_Di
                              Hi Jundo...

I don't know what will be happened after I die, (I haven't died yet)

But I think, heaven and hell is needed.

There are three types of person (I think):
                              1. a person who don't do some thing bad because he afraid hell and desiring heaven.

2. a person who do some thing good because he has compassion. Not just because afraid hell and desiring heaven.

3. a person who is doing good because he just want to do it. This kind of person do good thing not because he want to benefit other people, because wanting to benefit others is separation between me and others. A person in the 3rd types will see others as him self. There is no separation at all.

For a person in the first type, believing there is hell or heaven can help him/her to refrain from doing bad thing.

For the person in the 2nd and 3rd types, they don't really need to believe about hell or heaven.

Although we don't know whether heavens-hell really exist or not, but as long as it can bring benefit to a lot of people, it's ok to believe it.

But, of course it's up to the person want to believe it or not. it's very optional.

Well, this is my opinion.

GAssho, Mujo
                              Very wise opinion.

I also think that we create heavens and hells inside ourselves, in this life, when we are filled with goodness or filled with greed, anger, ignorance.

Gassho, J

Comment

Working...